“Relaxing and discovering Cornwall”
other travellers have booked this property
Super King Size bed for couples and parents Double Bed Sofa
Barbecue Area -  Summer before Decking
Morning Mist From Studio
Flora Day Helston 2012- Hal-an-Tow - Why not stay with us this year
Flora Day Helston - Childrens Dance - Wed 8th May 2013, why not stay with us
Flora Day Helston on Boating Lake - we have vacancies for Flora Day this year 8th May
Carriages at The star Porkellis
Tyacks Shaft Engine House, Porkellis
Mylor Harbour at Sunset
Gweek, Nr helston
Inside Cave at Portreath Beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 27 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Sangita B
“Not a bad place to stay”
Reviewed 17 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Everything is great...just the smell we did not like at all..stayed for two days price was cheap so not bad but will not go again just purely of smell...fantastic owners though

19 Apr 2017
I am so sorry that there was a smell. Others have said so as well. And we have been extra careful with our cleaning since.
However the problem is we cannot smell anything!!
So we can only assume that it is due to the very old granite and cob structure of the building ( and also our main house) that due to it's construction you cannot damp course. If allowed to dry out walls build of this the cob crumbles and the granite falls down.

And that we cannot smell it is because we have it in the house and after 32 years we no longer notice it.
We will however get a builder and damp proofer in to look at it to see if anything can be done.
We are very sorry about this.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relaxing and discovering Cornwall”
Reviewed 25 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

The studio is a lovingly and fully equiped apartment in front of a farm house in Porkellis near Helston. A car is needed and within one hour drive all the beautiful beaches, cliffs, Estate Garden and houses, villages and citys can be reached easily between Lizard Peninsular, Lands End, Saint Austell or Bodim and everything in between. Veritee and Berry are very friendly and they will help you with any information. They have some friendly pets which seemed to be happy to get in contact with their visiting 'guests'. The area is absoluty quiet and so very relaxing. The house itself is old and modernized and you will find nearly everything. There is one big room with a very comfortably bed and sofa bed. The bathroom has a nice shower. The kitchen is smaller and cooking needs to think a little bit creativly because only one plat can be used at time and the pots are small too and they are not too hot. But it worked for us and we have cooked nearly everyday for three persons e.g. fish, pasta, wraps. A Tesco superstore is in Helston and in all bigger cities around. You will find in the area many nice restaurants, cafes and pubs too. The farm house has a 200 yards bridle way which can be driven by normal cars. We have enjoyed our holidays there very much.

Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
27 Sep 2016
Thank you so much for your very lovely review. We do our best with the Studio to make it comfortable and it is indeed ideally situated to tour Cornwall and yet have a quiet place to return to even in the hight of the season.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Travelling group: Other
9 Aug 2016
What can I say, a glowing report and than you so much.

I do realise now, from others feedback our home from home way of running it may not suite all and will try to somehow get to a happy medium that will suit a wider variety of guests.

But I am so very glad it suited you and we always do our best.
As yes all we want is our guests, human or animal, to be happy and have a lovely stay with nothing that significantly prevents this.

What we are selling mostly I guess is the quietness, the views, the unique spot away from any crowds and a taste of what Cornwall is when off the beaten tourist track.
But we also try to provide comfort for our visitors in what is, as you say, a small and very old building - build in the 17th century although adapted by many others in the past and since by us.

We do also aim at being an animal friendly place to stay. For guests with any animal.

Indeed as well as the usual dog, or cats or even bunnies, if you wanted to travel to stay with a pony, horse or goat as a smallholding we have stables and facilities to cater for all of those and have in the past.

If people have dogs or even horses and ponies it is a lovely area to explore with them and we are happy, with prior warning, to cater for those with dogs,m cats and even goats, horses and ponies.
I will even go out on my old mare and show visitors the local rides if needed.

But of course not all that stay have any animals at all and we try to make it a pleasant experience for those that do not also.

Thank you very much for your feedback xx
Dave S
“Very Comfortable Small Cottage”
Reviewed 15 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

It's in the very small village of Porkellis, about 4m north of Helston. To reach it you drive down a narrow rutted bridleway, which is quite alright for the average family car, if taken slowly.

The cottage is in a very quiet location, no traffic at all, and you get a nice view towards the coast. It is ideally suited to 2 people, the bed is very comfortable. It has just about everything that you need there although no washing machine. Cooking facilities are somewhat limited. The microwave is quite small and the stove has only 2 hot plates and a small oven. The bathroom is also quite small but the shower worked really well. I didn't need the heating but it looked more than adequate for any cold days. Veritee, the owner, was very kind and helpful. I would stay there again.

Liked best: Quiet location
Liked least: The access road could be improved.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Older travelers
11 Apr 2016
I am so glad you liked the little Studio. We enjoyed having you to stay.

The lane to our smallholding - our own home and the Studio - is basically a bridle track and unsurfaced and rutted. It is what is known as a 'non adopted ' access, which means no one at all owns it not us or the next door farm or the other household that uses it, we all just have a right of way.

It is the old mining track that was used to get to Wheal Enys Mine ( our house is the old account house for that mine ) and to the three further mines on the hill above. It is an anomaly left over from the mining days and the council also have no jurisdiction over it or any onus on them to repair or maintain it.

My husband does in the winter manually fill the potholes with a wheelbarrow and ash-felt or concrete, so thus keeping it usable and as you point out if you take it slowly it is OK.

Ideally we would love to surface it properly but the estimates are over 25k and we just do not have that and the other users are not concerned so do not want to contribute.
The positive side of this is it keeps the area and our house and The Studio very private, quiet and safe, with no chance of any building on the lovely countryside around us.

The Studio is small, about the size of a family room in a hotel with an additional kitchenette area and a shower room/toilet. It is indeed too small to fit a washing machine but we are always happy to do one or more service washes for guests anytime and we leave a notice in the studio to that effect.

The electric to the Studio from the main house will not take the power for anything else but a small oven/cooker with two rings that runs off of a normal ring main. We have looked into it but it is not possible to put a dedicated cooker spur to it . For most it is adequate for those on holiday as many go out to eat quite often during their stay and I have stayed in the Studio myself and cooked on it with no problem, but we do realise it may not be adequate for all, especially those with families that stay, and several families stay and many return year after year.

Yes the heating, if you come at a time of year to need it, is very efficient and warms the Studio very well. It runs on bottle gas, as there is no mains gas to the smallholding, but it heats the hot water and the two radiators very well.

I agree if it is not clear I should explain more fully in the listing about these points above.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
mbetowler
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Little Cornish Cottage”
Reviewed 23 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

Me & my partner stayed here for eight nights recently and really enjoyed our stay. The cottage is surrounded by lovely open fields, so the cottage and BBQ area really has great views.

The bed was really comfortable and the cottage felt welcoming from the first moment. The only one thing that I would say about this cottage is the bad smell in the kitchen cupboards, they just needed a bit of extra cleaning, but I'm sure the owners will of already sorted this for the next people who stay.

Would come again! Lovely little place.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
11 Apr 2016
I am very so sorry about the smell but I assure you it was/is not due to lack of cleaning. I do everything i can to ensure the inside, and outside of all cupboards and indeed everything is clean. I do a deep clean of the whole Studio including the inside of all cupboards twice a year and clean inside them every time we changeover with spray bleach cleaner.

I am afraid what you could smell is the walls of the house.
It is a 200 year old granite built cottage with 2ft 6 thick walls. Which are cob filled. They have no damp course, our whole house has no damp course as you cannot use a damp course in a granite cob building as the cob dies out and the walls fall down. They rely on the natural exchange of moisture for the cob to remain binding. Threfore most, if not all Cornish granite/cob walls have a slight musty smell that can be strange if you are not used to it.

If the wall has nothing against it, the surface dries out and you do not notice anything. But kitchen cabinets by nature are open backed and sit tight against the walls, with a door on them that would keep any slight musty smell in. No amount of cleaning would or could remove it.

To be honest I no longer notice it after 32 years in Cornwall. if I put my head right in those cupboards I can smell nothing at all.

But I understand that those not used to it can and will. When I first came back to live in Cornwall from London, in a different, but also granite/cob cottage, I did used to notice it myself. However I have long not been able to smell anything at all of this nature.

Due to this since your stay I have used a fungicide on the walls behind the kitchen cupboards and put a deodorizer in each cupboard.

I find the smell of the deodorizer unpleasant myself, far more than the natural smell of the granite/cob walls.

But I am hoping this will help those who are unused to buildings made of this material.
Sarahalpi...
Yeovil
“Enjoyable, could have been better though.”
Reviewed 21 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

Friendly welcome, quaint cottage in a quiet situation. Only problems was the cleanliness. Utensils were dirty, some of it was broken. No decent glassware for drinking out of. Nothing seemed uniform, it was like being in someone elses kitchen, not a holiday home. The random leftover stuff in the bathroom cabinet was a bit off putting and the soap dish in the shower had this green gunk in it. The bedding also had dog hair in it, i understand it is a dog friendly place but not everyone has a dog or wishes to sleep in it.
i think it just needs a good thorough clean, tidy up and a sort out.
Otherwise ideal for a couple to stay in.

Liked best: The quietness
Liked least: The hygiene
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
9 Aug 2016
Thank you for your feedback Sarahalpit, all such feedback is warmly welcome. I am sorry I have only now got back to responding to your feedback, but I forgot we had online reviews as well as those in the visitors book I provide.

I am so very sorry that things were so lacking for you.

I have to say I am surprised that any utensils were actually dirty as I always check them between guests and wash what needs washing and I am afraid I do not know what you were referring to that was actually broken. As always after you left and before you wrote this or I read it, I checked all we supply and could not find anything that I would regard as actually broken and I have checked again when I read this. I have not found anything I would view as broken?
You are very welcome to email me with what this was?

However in case I have missed something somehow it would be useful if any future guests reading this would tell me at the time, when in the Studio, if they find anything dirty or broken and I will immediately put it right.

The glassware i agree is restricted as there are only two, but matching, wine glasses supplied and two matching small tumblers.

This is due to lack of space which means that is all I provide in the cupboard such things are stored and that is usually sufficient.

As the Studio ideally set up for two adults, who will be the only two drinking wine and any other guests are usually children and I supply plastic mugs, plates, bowls and tumblers for children to use.

As most of my adult guests drink tea and coffee as their main drinks, I supply ample mugs as those can be hung up and therefore do not take up room in the cupboard. This is usually sufficient for most who stay.
However I do agree that if you are someone that drinks mostly a soft drink and do not want to drink it in a mug if the two supplied tumblers are being used, this may not be sufficient. So while I cannot store any more glasses in the cupboard I am always happy on request to supply extra glassware, or anything else guests may require that is not provided.

I have taken note of the dog hair issue as that is, I totally agree, is unacceptable.

I do assure you I wash all bedding before each guest arrives. And indeed all the rugs are washed ( they are all washable rugs etc) between every party and the curtains, cushions etc at least once a fortnight or often more.

But dog hairs do seem to cling which is a problem if the Studio was last used by someone with a dog. In fact before you it was used by someone with two cats as I allow cats as well ( even sometimes bunnies in a hutch! ) and cats hairs are even harder to remove.

And since your visit I have been extra careful to make sure no bedding or anything else has dog, cat or any hairs on it after they have been washed and if so I wash them again.

I did realise after I read this that one of the problems is that my eye sight is not very good and that I was not seeing the hairs as it is often the very small, light ones that still cling after things have been through the washing machine and tumble dryer.

So I now inspect all bedding and rugs etc close up with my reading glasses and a magnifying glass and get my husband to check too as his eyesight is slightly better. So thank you for informing me as I will now be extra careful.

The green on the soap dish has now been sorted and I am very sorry about this but did not know what to do about it as it is always washed between use but that did not remove the green? As it was not gunk and had been washed but apparently it is a reaction of the alkali soap with the metal. So I had to scrub it with a wire brush and this has unfortunately taken off some of the chrome, but it is now not green.

The soap dish is integral to the shower head unit and came with it so cannot be removed and replaced easily. But I am seeking to find a matching replacement and will take the shower unit apart to fit it once I have one.

The things in the bathroom cabinet were not exactly random things that I did not bother to remove between guests, but things that previous visitors had forgotten and asked me to supply. Such as disposable razors, toothbrushes, spare soap bars, shower caps, all new and unused as I remove any that have been used. Plus things like paracetamol, pads, nail scissors and baby shampoo, those items had been used but only had one of two things out of the packets or a small amount out of the bottles so I thought still useful if visitors had forgotten such items.

I did not remove them and any unused or usable items after visitors who requested them had gone as I thought they would be useful for future guests too and I am against unnecessary waste.

However I take your point that although some visitors have been grateful that they were present it is not very professional and not how a hotel or most self catering would do it. So now i have read your feedback I will now remove them and leave a notice on the back of the door that such items are available if I am asked.

Thank you very much for your feedback, which is very useful.

I agree that despite letting The Studio for over 8 years to holiday visitors I do still run it as if it is a home from home and as if it were family that are staying, which may be a mistake as not all like this approach, so this is good feedback for me to note.

This does not mean I skimp on cleaning as I clean all between each party of visitors and I am very sorry you found this lacking and I will endeavor to improve and also eliminate any hairs from visiting pets.

But it does mean I do not have it clinical and leave things around for decoration and things that I feel maybe useful to other visitors, such as the bathroom cabinet items and things such as herbs and spices, tea, coffee, sugar, oil for cooking vinegar, salt, pepper, sauce bottles, so people have these to use, especially on their first night when they may have forgotten something or not yet had a chance to go shopping, as we are at least 5 miles from any shop.

But I will review this policy and ask future guests if they would rather me leave these things or not and also dispose of some of the ornaments etc.

Thank you very much for your review. It has been useful to me and I will endeavor to make The Studio a pleasant place to stay for a wider variety of guests needs as yes you are right I have been running it on a home from home basis.
But I realise this does not suite all.
kimbuckle...
“Wonderful !!”
Reviewed 10 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Great place to stay.We stayed with our dog and were made to feel very welcome & comfortable. Barry and Verity went the extra mile. Milk and eggs were in the fridge and sweeties by the bed !!
The only time we went out without our dog Barry checked in on her which was very nice.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing