“Terrible food, poor service.”

Wheal Dream Restaurant, Bar and Accommodation
Ranked #33 of 119 Restaurants in Helston
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Having read the reviews, was really looking forward to the meal. We were a family group of 7 on a Wednesday night, very quite..On a limited menu, 2 items were unavailable. Starters took 45 minutes to arrive. Local mussels turned out to be New Zealand ones. Seared scallops were not seared, undercooked with the coral on Yuk! they were replaced but no better.Bland Stilton mushrooms. Main course - slow roasted duck legs were substituted with breasts which were overcooked. Rare fillet steak, cold and dry.Surf & Turf - King prawns were obviously frozen despite being assured they were fresh.Tournedos Rossini was poorly presented (Steak was cooked perfectly but crouton/pate/sauce had no finnese) Mash was watery and lumpy. When we complained were were told "you are free to leave". Went to chain restaurant which was excellent.

1  Thank d146895x

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is a restaurant that never disappoints. We always order the nut roast even though my husband is a meat eater - they are excellent and not to be missed. This is the treat of the week on our frequent visits to Cornwall. Looking forward to the next yummy visit.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

What it lacks in atmosphere it makes up for in the good British food at a good price......The staff are really friendly and helpful despite us having two young and boisterous children with us. We had tried to tire them out on the children's attractions outside but I think we over did it and made them irritable and tired!!! However we really enjoyed all the food and despite the price including a pud .were not able to manage one as we were so full. A pity that Cornwall does not have more eating establishments at this price and quality

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Went for the Sunday carvery as we had heard good reviews by word of mouth and being local thought we would try it. Well unbelievable service from the minute we walked in to the minute we left. When we walked in we were immediately met by helpful staff who showed us to our seat in a spacious well aired room. Order for drinks were taken and very quickly served at the table. We elected for the carvery and was told that we would be called for in due course in order. Two great Cornish ales on sale at this time - Skinners - Porthleven and Skinners old favourite Betty Stoggs. I went for the Porthleven, a great pale light summery real ale. We were asked if anybody needed help with their plate when called for and we said we would as one of our party was very poor sighted and used a stick as an aide to walking.

Not too long a wait we asked to attend the carvery to get our meal. Much much better this way rather than the long queues you sometimes get at other places. Our less able member went first aided by a pleasant and helpful member of staff! What a great idea, have never come across this before. I went up shortly after and we were given a choice of three meats, Pork, Beef and Turkey. You could have all three if chosen. I just had the Pork and Turkey - both extremely tender and well cooked with plentiful portion. A good selection of fresh cooked vegetables, Roast Potatoes and Yorkshire pudding, the veg included Swede mash, Butternut squash with peppers and onion, Peas, Carrots, Leek and Brocolli in a cheese sauce, sweet red Cabbage, stuffing and excellent gravy. All cooked fresh and to perfection and extremely great tasting. There was not anything that I would complain about.
Whilst en-route to the carvery a staff member noticed that my pint glass was empty and asked me if I wanted another - a second pint was waiting when I got back. Another brilliant idea and great service.

I have to say that this is one of the best establishments I have been to for quality, of food, quantity and service in many many years. They know how to treat the customer.

They had a choice of sweets but were were all to full from the main course.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Whilst visiting family in Helston we booked a table at the Wheal Dream Restaurant for their Sunday Carvery and I am happy to say that the food on offer was well prepared with a choice of 3 roasts (Beef, Pork and Turkey) and a wide variety of vegetables were on offer.

My only criticism would be that the Gravy was rather floury and a little tasteless, but otherwise a very enjoyable and reasonably priced carvery that I would recommend.