“The best of home cooking !”

The Old Inn- Mullion
Ranked #48 of 112 Restaurants in Helston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
devon england
“The best of home cooking !”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

For the first time on our break in Cornwall we can say, without reservations that this pub is a gem of home cooked delights, our lunches were delicious and upon reading other reviews many others concur with our experience, particularly since Ian and Sarah have taken over the pub.

We were sad that they had run out of one of the specials, scotch eggs, for we wold have loved to take a couple back to have for supper. Hopefully on our next trip to Cornwall we will be lucky. The friendly welcome, by Ian, and patience while I dithered over my choice of a meal, speaks volumes, although his wife Sarah remarked he is forbidden from the kitchen ...... he has been known to do a 'Gordon Ramsey' ...... without the expletives !!

The inn itself is a charming confusion of rooms, with 'nooks and crannies' for small groups of eaters who like privacy. Well behaved dogs are welcome and even a caged budgerigar was invited in, so the owner could relax with his pint !!

This couple have already made their mark, with good food and a relaxed, but professional approach to their stewardship, long may visitors and locals enjoy this Inn, which also offers accommodation, no doubt, of equal value.

• Visited May 2014

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Pie heaven”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We are regular visitors to the Old Inn as we visit Mullion at least twice a year. New manager and wife at the pub has made some changes to the food (more later). Great to see Josh still there behind the bar, his line of banter is great and service is excellent.
New on the menu was a steak and ale pie, obviously homemade (I had a sneak peak while it was resting in the kitchen). Absolutely top notch pie, good portion and served with choice of chips or mash etc. Rest of families meals were of excellent standard, wife had vegetarian sausage with mash (yes they cater for vegetarians), kids had burgers, looked good and plates were cleared so must have hit the spot, both kids are very fussy eaters!
Also tried a bar snack Scotch Egg, none of your dehydrated tasteless shop bought rubbish, homemade again, egg was soft in the centre and meat surround was beautiful, rumour has it that they do a veggie version but none on offer at the time.
Sunday afternoon is well worth a visit, Sunday roast with a choice of meat at a reasonable price and entertainment provided by a regular bunch who turn up with guitars, mandolins etc and just have a good time playing music, they even let me join in! Should also mention that this is a real country pub that welcomes dogs. Try it you'll love it.

“Fabulous steak!”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here as we had eaten here several years ago. We weren't disappointed. I had a beautifully cooked rump steak and my husband had the fish and chips which was also really good. It took a while to arrive but as they apologised and it was good and hot we didn't mind. Is going to become a Mullion tradition for us!

Burntwood, United Kingdom
“Great evening”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Having not been to mullion for 5 years we returned to our old favourite The Old Inn.
We learned that it had changed hands many times during this period and the present owners had only recently moved in, however we decided to eat here and it was good. Menu was very small however our food was lovely.
The next evening we returned with family and it was even better.. Food once again was great and our waitress was really pleasant.
A thoroughly good night.

Macclesfield, Cheshire
“Chaotic to say the least”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I don't like leaving negative reviews and I am sure the Old Inn can be a excellent place to dine, but our experience wasn't.

We visited on a busy Sunday evening and we struggled to find a table. We placed our order and were told it would be a half an hour wait. Fair enough, I am more than prepared to wait for a well cooked meal and I thought that half an hour was more than reasonable considering they were so busy.

The alarms bells started to ring though, when a neighbouring table upped and left, complaining that they had already waited an hour. I thought that, if more people left that would mean our meal would be that bit earlier!! After an hour, the couple at the table opposite received there meal, even though they had placed there order a long time after ours. I then asked the waitress how long our meal would be, and she said she would find out. Well we waited for her return with the news but after five minutes there was no sign of her. Eventually she did return to tell us that our order had been "lost"! She apologised and we said that we would cut our losses and leave. They did refund us the cost of our drinks, but only after I asked for them to do so.

I'm sure that this was their first really busy day of the season and that these were isolated incidents. It is a shame really as they serve great beer and it seems to be a popular place with the locals.

1 Thank Alex H