“An enjoyable Christmas Day lunch”
Review of The Grange Fruit Farm - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Grange Fruit Farm
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was the first time I had visited The Grange since the new ownership. 3 members of my family and I duly arrived for Christmas Day lunch only to find the dining room absolutely freezing. It appeared that the pump on the central heating system had broken down and no one was available to repair it due to the Christmas break. The staff decided to switch on the carvery and this did generate some heat. There were two waitresses who were very friendly and attentive. The food was very good although I did have a little reservation about my fish main course (perhaps a little watery) but the starters we had chosen were all good and the two who had the Christmas pudding said it was quite excellent. I think a big effort had been made with the table decorations and there little touches at the end of the meal with mince pies and a selection of chocolates. All in all the four of us were very happy with our visit.

1  Thank sandylands

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I don't usually write reviews but feel I have to after our awful visit to the grange on the 16th December. We were a group of 7 all with babies, when we arrived we were told there was a 20 wait for food. We thought this was fair enough as there was a large work party there. Round about 15 mins later their food came out. However we were waiting another hour fou ours-sandwhiches and a couple of jacket potatoes! There were 2 other tables of 2 eating but surely it doesn't take an hour and 15 to make sandwhiches. The worst complaint we have, however, is one of the waitresses was passing all the hot drinks over one of the babies heads, and actually dropped a spoon on to the babies head. No apology!!! The waitresses were all very aloof, no apologies again when our food came out so late. Will not be going here again!

3  Thank jens521
Reviewed 11 November 2013

As the song goes: Too darned hot. Well that is how I would describe The Grange.
If you have any cold relatives, tell them to visit The Grange.
If you do not fancy turning on your central heating yet, go to The Grange.
If you want to see whether a trip to the Sahara will suit you, then try The Grange.
It was so hot at our Sunday lunch gathering that two of us almost passed out. When we mentioned it to one of the waitresses, her response was " at least you are not outside".
Well actually that is where two of us were about twenty minutes later trying to cool down.
We have never been to a restaurant where the temperature inside was hotter than the food.(salads excluded).... there is always a first time for everything.
Anyway to review the meal. They were serving a Sunday Lunch Buffet/Carvery.
There were two size choices. Medium and Large. Medium at £9.50 and Large at £10.50.
It would have been good value for money if the meat had not been very overcooked and was dry. Maybe because the restaurant was so hot, the meat continued to cook itself!
We were told there had been a change of chef/manager?
However I must say that the vegetables and accompaniments were fresh and tasty.
The service was excellent and the young waitresses were helpful and attentive. They also kept busy by cleaning and tidying tables and checking on customers.
It was busy with a steady stream of clients.
So please The Grange, turn your temperature down and your customers will be more comfortable and you'll save a packet on fuel bills and don't overcook the meat, not everyone likes well done to cremated.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Having had many Sunday carverys at the grange over the last six years. We were sorely disappointed with our lunch on Sunday 6th October. Fatty pork, uncooked roast potatoes,lumpy turnip,the meal seemed lacking in seasoning, we however ordered our usual ice cream sundaes,two of us had strawberry and one chocolate , the ice cream was not of usual quality there were no nuts on the chocolate sundae and the last straw was synthetic aerosol cream instead of the usual clotted cream. When we have cream in Cornwall we expect clotted cream unless stated otherwise. I can only assume there are new owners who I am afraid will quickly loose their loyal customers. We will probably not drive a thirty mile round trip for this again.

1  Thank Brian R
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We visited the grange for lunch and although there were young waitresses walking through, not one asked if we would like to come in and be shown to a table. After waiting a while, we went and sat down, which seems to be what's expected. I asked the waitress a simple question about the menu and she couldn't answer it. I didn't really think too much of it. There was no menu on our table and upon looking around the empty tables saw that there were hardly any available. The ordering is taken at the counter and not at the table, which is fine, unless you are not so able. The daily specials board is hidden near the counter, it would be good if there could also be one at the other end to save the constant walking up and down by various people. We ordered our food from a good varied choice menu. The food us very basic, but could be so much better? We waited ages for the food to arrive and it was only simple food, nothing that took long preparation or cooking. The food arrived and was delivered by a pleasant waitress. It was hot and presented nicely. This was the last we saw of the waitress. Not once were we asked if everything was ok. For the prices charged, the service and quality if food could be so much better. This restaurant has a beautiful setting and wonderful views across the countryside. It is a shame that it's not being used to is full potential. After lunch, we went through to the shop. I was going to buy some strawberries, but there wasn't anyone around to pay. We have been here on a couple of previous occasions and the service was better. To sum it up, basic lunch food available in a nice clean restaurant, but lacking the finishing touches and atmosphere.