“very average”

The Wendron New Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Bars & Pubs in Helston
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional old pub serving traditional food at reasonable prices. Separate restaurant available also suitable for functions up to 35 people.well behaved dogs are welcome.Beer garden also available with stunning Cober Valley views.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We visited this pub on the recommendation of our holiday host last week. We had a decidedly unfriendly welcome by the Landlord and I suppose viewed us as foreigners! we found our own way into the lounge which was very dark and dingy. The price of the food was more expensive than a nearby one in Stithians and not a patch on the quality and quantity. There were only two things on the menu that my husband liked so he went for the gammon which was very nice, I had chicken sizzler. The chicken was smothered in cheese and, because it was on a sizzling plate, had turned into running fat. The Gammon was fine. However, I think if you do not want this modern food such as ribs and sizzling stuff, then you will be disappointed.. The food is geared up to provide more gourmet style food but the surroundings do not compliment this. Why not stick with traditional Briitsh pub food and not try and be something you are clearly not, which is an exclusive restaurant.

3  Thank AshleighLincolnshire

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We visited the New Inn last week and had a fabulous meal there. My son said that the ribs were the best he'd had anywhere, his partner had a delicious lamb shank. I had gammon, my husband had the sizzling chicken, which sizzled for several minutes. It was all fab, we had starters too which anyone with a normal appetite could do without, although they were delicious too. the restaurant is pleasantly laid out with a nice cosy atmosphere.

4  Thank SomersetChris
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We ate here in april. 2 adults and 1 child. Childrens portions were excellent, large and great value for money. As an adult I would not have been unhappy with this portion myself so plenty for kids. The adult portions were just as good and would definatly recommend the ribs. They were meaty and well cooked just melting in the mouth. The steak was also good but the ribs standout as the set piece!

1  Thank TOMH0412
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After reading so many very positive reviews we thought we should check it out for ourselves. In around this part of Cornwall there are many pubs offering sunday roast with a handful, deserving a revisit. This is most certainly not one of those.
As I have been abstaining from alcohol for lent I cannot comment on the cask ales so highly praised in previous writings, but can comment on the food.
Roast beef with Yorkshire pud x2 was had, both not hot enough, flacid yorkshire, overcooked veg, flavourless gravy and roast potatoes not as crispy as I would have liked. On a positive side, nice looking pub (in and out) reasonably clean, nice service and very tender beef. Perhaps the kitchen was having an off day but I think 3 stars is a generous score for our visit.

2  Thank Giles P
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We actually ate here three times in a week because the food, steaks, fresh crab and the beer and wine were very good. The service was extremely friendly and helpful with a warm welcome whenever we went in. Has the advantage of being a real pub, used by the locals, and a good quality restaurant. If you are in the area give it a try - you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Marion M