“Really good sunday lunch, dinner times confusing”
Review of Angel Hotel

Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Helston
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We went here to eat on a recommendation from the site owner when we were camping in Cornwall. Sunday lunch finished serving at 6pm and we arrived at 5:45 but despite the fact they said the Chef had gone home they said they could do the meal so we stayed. We sort of expected it to be dry and disappointing but we were very pleased that it wasnt. In fact we enjoyed it so much we decided to try it the next week, but we decided to go earlier so the same thing didnt happen again. When we got there this time, they were not serving meals at all. Despite the obvious lack of organisation in the kitchen (timings differed from what was advertised on the boards outside on the pavement) we would revisit. We stayed for a quick drink as the lounge area was relaxing. The walls were covered with historical photos of Helston in times gone by which were fascinating to browse while we waited for our dinner to arrive, so quite an interesting time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Stayed at the Angel for a Long weekend. The newly decorated rooms were modern and clean so we were able to chill out and enjoy our break. The staff were very freindly & welcoming, The food was lovely and we enjoyed the night entertainment provided by a local band. I would reccomend the Angel as it is very good value and feels very homely with a lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Musestar
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Angel and were very comfortable.Enjoyed playing pool together as a family there. The chef was very accommodating when we said we wanted to share 2 dinners between 4 of us, as we'd had a big lunch.
He gave us generous portions.
It was difficult to find a place to stay in Helston, and we walked in off the street.
We weren't disappointed. A reasonable price and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sjsuth
Reviewed 26 December 2010

stayed here for 2 weeks due to work,had a great stay and staff couldnt do enough for me,as I was a single lady on my own they was so helpful,food was fantastic,never had a bad meal the whole 2 weeks and i did try everything,think breakfast could be a bit earlier but if I went down a bit early they would still serve me,cant say enough great things about this hotel,would most certainly stay again

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank no1debs
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Perhaps it was unfortunate that I stayed at the Angel when Helston was suffering from snow and ice, as it meant trying to park in the two small car parks out the back was extremely difficult, and not helped by the slope up to the higher one being a solid sheet of ice. Once I had managed to park, the lack of lighting meant I couldn't see where I was stepping and inevitably came a painful cropper.
Once through the narrow doors into the inn (problems manoeuvring a wheeled case), the door to reception was locked, but I finally found the receptionist in the bar area. She kindly produced a bandage for my bloodied hand and escorted me up to my room. The old hotel's layout is not friendly for the disabled or anyone with a heavy case - up stairs, along, up more stairs, then down, and finally into the last room along a passage. Builders were at work decorating rooms beyond, as the equipment, noises and smell of paint made clear.
The room itself was warm, with a comfy bed and TV, and had clearly been recently touched up and had a new shower and bathroom installed. The bad news was that nobody had thought to provide any hanging space for clothes (not even a rail or hooks) and, despite my asking twice, none was added during the three nights I was there. Patches on the walls looked ominous but weren't damp, and trying to get email via the free wi-fi was next to useless due to the appallingly slow broadband connection. The poorly insulated walls also meant that on two mornings I was woken up at 6am by a builder banging on a door along the corridor and having a conversation through the door with the room's occupant. Oh, and did I mention the lingering smell of paint morning, noon and night?
Due to the treacherous pavements and icy temperatures outside (despite which, the front door was always left open, so the entrance hall was dark and freezing - why?) I stayed in for my evening meal every night. Much to my surprise, the food was delicious, with the curry a particular delight. The breakfasts were fine, though I had to race through them as the earliest serving was at 7:30 and I had to be at work at 8.
The staff were always friendly if a little disorganized - typical was the fact that on my last morning the back door to the car park was locked and I had to hunt for someone - anyone! - for a few minutes to let me out.
I really can't recommend this place, as it has too much going against it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and were quite pleased overall , the rooms were clean , staff quite pleasant and food was great . our only negatives were the very thin windows on front facing rooms that let in ALL noises and the mealtime experience - we had only a verbal menu , a choice of 2 starters and little else but the food was good . i got the impression that there were some staffing issues . also of note was that our dirty tablecloth from the previous night was on our table for breakfast , a little careless but no harm done !

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank loneloony
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Booked with some reservation after reading some of the previous reviews. Needn' t have worried. Lovely staff, room clean and warm, fresh white towels, crisp clean sheets, tea and coffee facilities. En suite. Good shower, hot water. Slept well. Comfortable and quiet (room 15). Nice bar. Nice breakfast. What more could you want? Would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellor97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helston
John Francis Basset Hotel
0 mi away
Queens Arms
Queens Arms
#1 of 2 in Breage

Been to Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!