“warmest of welcomes”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Helston
Lawrence, Kansas
“warmest of welcomes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I ate in the pub of the hotel although I didn't stay there. The pub was English-coz with plaid carpet, massive and beautiful bar, etc. But what made it special was the waitress Emma who served us so pleasant and competently. The food was tasty and the menu appealing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank expatjean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Wolfville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Emma, our server was most helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable of the menu and everything was well prepared and presented. We were very happy with the service and rates. We were not terribly hungry and she was able to adjust the servings to meet our every desire.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rgrant912
luxulyan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Well, this Hotel is a treasure, so full of character and history at every turn. My room, though, number 19, was a dreary room and as I was getting ready for a wedding the lack of a long mirror was a bit of a problem. It was, however, a functional room with a comfy bed, good tv, kettle and tea/coffee and all the hanging and storage space you might need. The shower room was great and spotlessly clean, as was the room itself and indeed the whole meandering hotel.
When I booked the room I explained that I would be attending a wedding, also booking a room for the bride and groom, and asked if we might get into the rooms earlier than usual as the wedding was at 2.00pm – this was offered without hesitation and they were given one of the best rooms.
Despite my couple of insignificant gripes I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and what Room 19 lacked in charm was more than made up for by the enchanting character of the Angel; the fabulous staff who were charming and, without exception, hospitable, happy, helpful, friendly and altogether a joy. George, the Manager was brilliant , kind enough to spare the time to tell me something of the history of the building and show me around. Whatever he is doing in terms of heading up and managing a successful team it’s working!!
All in all I think the Angel is a pretty special place with a pretty special team, thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank clevertrousers
Mold, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat, but the time being threeish we were told that the kitchen was shut. We had already looked in on another establishment down the road but their Tribute ale, (my favourite Cornish beer) was sold out. Maybe we should have picked up on the fact that the place was utterly deserted, but seeing that the Tribute was on tap I ordered a pint and a rose wine for my wife. Bringing the drinks back to the table I noticed that my pint had the look of Cornish Rattler, ( a cloudy cider), it didn't clear and having taken a few small mouthfulls I decided that it wasn't up to scratch and returned it to the bar. I explained to the barman that there was something wrong with it and could I change it for a premium lager and I would pay the difference?. I chose and paid an extra 40p, thinking that there couldn't be anything wrong with a Stella Artois/San Miguel or similar. How wrong I was! Although it looked clear enough it had a very strong yeasty odour, and a few sips showed that this. too, was decidedly off form. I waited for my wife to finish her drink and took the glasses back to the bar and left, my glass still full. I have had the pleasure of enjoying good ales for over 50yrs.and like to think that I can tell a good drink from a bad one. Perhaps with this place a better standard of cellar hygiene would improve things, but I certainly won't be going back to check!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob P

Travellers are raving about these Helston hotels

Bodmin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

On arrival, we were not given the room that we had booked. (Family room with a room for seperate bunk beds for my friend) and double room for myself and partner. I got this rectified without a problem, as luckily they hadn't given it to anyone else. The rooms were comfortable, although the tv signal didnt work, which wasn't a major problem, as we were going out.
The bar was nice, with a well and glass roof. The bar staff were not the most eager though.
Breakfast the next day was confusing, but good as it was in a room (sort of function room) somewhere else in the hotel.. Quite expensive at £85 for one room and £100 for the other though!

Room Tip: The room with the extra bunk beds drawn off by a curtain is really nice and cozy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at the Angel Hotel at the beginning of July. My husband and I went through several hotel reviews in the area around Falmouth, Cornwall, before deciding to take a chance and stay at the Angel instead of a more corporate hotel. Upon arrival, our room was ready and there were no issues whatsoever with checking in. We even ended up with an upgrade free of charge much to our surprise (and gratitude)! Everything was tidy, well appointed, and what you need out of a hotel room without a lot of frills.

Our evening meal was surprisingly good. Looking at the menu, it was relatively basic, and very cheaply priced. Many times, you can tell a lot about the quality of the food you will receive by how it is priced on the menu. For ease, we decided to take a chance and eat at the Angel instead of seeking food elsewhere. And, I'm so glad that we took that chance. Do not be fooled by the prices on the menu, as the Angel could easily charge more for the food you will receive. I had the lamb stew, and it was simply lovely! It came with a nice portion of bread to soak up the gravy. For pudding, I had the banoffee pie that was just out of this world. The beer selection was nice, but I would like to see a larger selection of better whiskey.

Breakfast the next morning was fairly standard for a B&B. The bar manager greeted us promptly at 7:30 with the basics already set up. I chose to skip the cereals and went with a full English. IT was cooked by the bar manager to perfection. Service was very fast as well, allowing me to get to my appointment on time that morning.

Overall, a good evening, pleasant meal, and good night's sleep!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Don't let the slightly tired appearance of the entrance hall deter you from booking a room here. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed, if typical of their setting in an ancient building. The Hotel staff hit that perfect point of not being overbearing; but remain consistently polite, friendly and attentive to your needs. The food is exceptional value for money. The Lamb Casserole (even in the height of summer) is superb, and the Banoffee Pie a masterpiece. (As both my wife and I are keen and capable cooks, we don't say this lightly.) The beer is good and the ambience is pleasant enough.
The Angel's strength is that it is unpretentious. It is aware of what it can and cannot deliver, (unlike many Hotels that still have that painful lesson to learn). So don't expect a peaceful Friday or Saturday night here, as like any Hotel in the centre of town, the local nightlife will be somewhat boistrous well into your night's sleep. However, if you can handle that, or, like we were, simply looking for somewhere convenient and stress free to stay overnight / for a few days during the week, the 'Angel' will tick all the boxes; and for that you cannot fault it. Would we stay here again? Yes. No hesitation... and that's why it gets Five Stars.

Room Tip: We got a free upgrade... We didn't ask for or expect it, we were just simply given it when we ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helston
Premier Inn Helston Hotel
#1 of 8 in Porthleven
Queens Arms
Queens Arms
#1 of 2 in Breage

Been to Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!