“Time Warp”

and 1 more site!
Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Helston
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This hotel is caught in a time warp, out dated rooms, mould on the shower ceiling, leaking toilet, that is so close to one wall it cant be used properly! Very tired decor throughout, including the dining room with its bizaar art work. It's saving grace is the staff who were friendly and helpful, especially the breakfast waitress. Shame because this hotel has potential, and is well situated. One final problem is the parking approx 6 very tight parking spaces is not enough.

Room Tip: Front of hotel noisy
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel but ate there. The quality of the home cooked food was absolutely fantastic. The service was excellent and our waitress went out of her way to be of assistace. Probably one of the best three course meals we've had in a very long time.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank SaraJWorcester
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I ate in the pub of the hotel although I didn't stay there. The pub was English-coz with plaid carpet, massive and beautiful bar, etc. But what made it special was the waitress Emma who served us so pleasant and competently. The food was tasty and the menu appealing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank expatjean
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Emma, our server was most helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable of the menu and everything was well prepared and presented. We were very happy with the service and rates. We were not terribly hungry and she was able to adjust the servings to meet our every desire.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank rgrant912
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Well, this Hotel is a treasure, so full of character and history at every turn. My room, though, number 19, was a dreary room and as I was getting ready for a wedding the lack of a long mirror was a bit of a problem. It was, however, a functional room with a comfy bed, good tv, kettle and tea/coffee and all the hanging and storage space you might need. The shower room was great and spotlessly clean, as was the room itself and indeed the whole meandering hotel.
When I booked the room I explained that I would be attending a wedding, also booking a room for the bride and groom, and asked if we might get into the rooms earlier than usual as the wedding was at 2.00pm – this was offered without hesitation and they were given one of the best rooms.
Despite my couple of insignificant gripes I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and what Room 19 lacked in charm was more than made up for by the enchanting character of the Angel; the fabulous staff who were charming and, without exception, hospitable, happy, helpful, friendly and altogether a joy. George, the Manager was brilliant , kind enough to spare the time to tell me something of the history of the building and show me around. Whatever he is doing in terms of heading up and managing a successful team it’s working!!
All in all I think the Angel is a pretty special place with a pretty special team, thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank clevertrousers
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat, but the time being threeish we were told that the kitchen was shut. We had already looked in on another establishment down the road but their Tribute ale, (my favourite Cornish beer) was sold out. Maybe we should have picked up on the fact that the place was utterly deserted, but seeing that the Tribute was on tap I ordered a pint and a rose wine for my wife. Bringing the drinks back to the table I noticed that my pint had the look of Cornish Rattler, ( a cloudy cider), it didn't clear and having taken a few small mouthfulls I decided that it wasn't up to scratch and returned it to the bar. I explained to the barman that there was something wrong with it and could I change it for a premium lager and I would pay the difference?. I chose and paid an extra 40p, thinking that there couldn't be anything wrong with a Stella Artois/San Miguel or similar. How wrong I was! Although it looked clear enough it had a very strong yeasty odour, and a few sips showed that this. too, was decidedly off form. I waited for my wife to finish her drink and took the glasses back to the bar and left, my glass still full. I have had the pleasure of enjoying good ales for over 50yrs.and like to think that I can tell a good drink from a bad one. Perhaps with this place a better standard of cellar hygiene would improve things, but I certainly won't be going back to check!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob P
Reviewed 18 September 2013

On arrival, we were not given the room that we had booked. (Family room with a room for seperate bunk beds for my friend) and double room for myself and partner. I got this rectified without a problem, as luckily they hadn't given it to anyone else. The rooms were comfortable, although the tv signal didnt work, which wasn't a major problem, as we were going out.
The bar was nice, with a well and glass roof. The bar staff were not the most eager though.
Breakfast the next day was confusing, but good as it was in a room (sort of function room) somewhere else in the hotel.. Quite expensive at £85 for one room and £100 for the other though!

Room Tip: The room with the extra bunk beds drawn off by a curtain is really nice and cozy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helston
Mullion Cove Hotel
#2 of 2 in Mullion
Budock Vean Hotel
Budock Vean Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mawnan Smith

Been to Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!