“Great Sunday lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shipwrights Arms
Ranked #41 of 110 Restaurants in Helston
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: View, Romantic, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Quirky Cornish pub with great views and food served all day
Helston, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have just spent a really great Sunday afternoon with my family at The Shipwrights in Helford. Great food at a good price, relaxed and friendly service and a really pleasant duet playing all afternoon. Weather foul in Cornwall at present, so there is no better way to spend a winter Sunday than with the good food, great beer, stunning views and welcome of the Shipwrights.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Chris N

Penryn, United Kingdom
“Quite the rudest staff I've ever come across.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

During our 1 week stay in West Cornwall this year my family ate out on 5 occasions. 4 of those occasions were a credit to Cornwall. However our last meal at the Shipwright Arms has let Cornwall down. The pub is pleasant to look at outside. However I would be very surprised if the interior designer was still in business! The menu was very limited and expensive. When the food finally arrived it was edible but bland, and the portions small.
However what my family will remember about our visit is the rude staff. Don't get me wrong, I am not after grovelling staff that wait on me hand and foot. All I require is someone who will politely take my order and serve my food. All the staff we encountered with the exception of one very polite barman, were rude, untrained and more interested in messing around with other staff members than attending to the customers. Most of the staff were young. This is probably to be expected in a holiday area. However the rudeness of one young waitress in particular (other staff called her Bracks) left me speechless. But what was inexcusable was the fact that the owner was standing in earshot and did nothing about it!

• Visited September 2013
14 Thank maggie w
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“Just perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Exactly the food you want for a relaxed meal in my favourite place in the world. Absolutely love the improvements in every respect.....decor, brightness, food, staff and ambience. The location is priceless in every way.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank UpdownC
UK
“A very memorable visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I were back down in Cornwall and I'd always wanted to take her for a meal here (I remember walking past here 30+ years ago when I was at school in Redruth and the smell of steaks on a summer evening stuck in my mind!). Sadly I was driving so had to have only one pint of excellent Harbour IPA (I couldn't be sure the SatNav would get it right down the lanes!) but it was magical walking along the road from the car park, despite the inclement weather, as the pumpkins were out for Hallowe'en (there were some fantastic ones in the village including a pumpkin eating a worm and another with a full moon & Minions!!)).
We had a great time - my steak was lovely & my wife's meal was also thoroughly enjoyed: it was also good to see the local children (& parents) popping in trick-or-treating, the young couple running things are certainly making a go of making this place a truly welcoming community asset.
We're going to have to come back soon to enjoy a drink or two and an alfresco grill in the garden, especially as my wife now knows how to get here!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank DocD_9
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“A wonderful lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We visited this pub whilst on holiday, we were welcomed warmly and loved the relaxed feel of the place. The decor is great - lovely to see something unique, and very appropriate to the location and its fabulous views. We felt that the menu choice was varied enough although we both had the crab risotto. It was absolutely delicious and a very close second to the best risotto of my life (well it was in Florence!) The apple tart - more a tarte tatin - was beautifully cooked and presented. We thoroughly recommend this pub, send good wishes to the hosts and wish we lived closer!

• Visited November 2013