“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halfway House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingsand
Halfway House Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Kingsand B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I understand the management to have changed in the last couple of months. The current management team are wonderful. We stayed the night here as we were attending a wedding at the Fort 5 mins away in a cab. The staff at the Inn were fab, they booked our cab, pointed out where to find an iron and were available to answer questions. We had an excellent lunch in the pub before setting off for the wedding.
I would recommend the Halfway House Inn to anyone who wants:
- A modern clean room with extremely comfortable beds
- Fantastic shower in a spacious ensuite
- Delicious breakfast made with quality ingredients.

Room Tip: We stayed I'm three rooms and they were all of equal size and quality.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fremington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Staying at nearby Fort Picklecoombe , we walked along the South West path in to Kingsand and Cawsand. Looking for somewhere to have lunch came across the Halfway House, at first glance we didn't know wether to stay or walk away but we were so glad we stayed. Food was reasonably priced, a good portion and really tasty, we were expecting basic pub food but were presented with good restaurant quality food. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Well worth a visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We decided to give the pub a try for food as we had been told it was under new management; living locally in the village we had not used it for some time as the reviews were not good. I am afraid the evening was a real let down, we had to wait an hour and a half for our main meals, and the quality was poor. Not a good start for the new manager, but the staff did try their best to deal with the many unhappy customers.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Poplou777
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

needed to stay just 1 night (saturday) after a wedding at the nearby fort. Was v hard to find anywhere that would just do 1 night stay, most wanted Fri/Sat night at the minimum.
We wanted a room where we could also have our 6 month old baby and 3 year old too.

Rang Halfway House Inn and they couldn't have been more friendly, accomodating and helpful. I'm told the new landlord has only started a couple of weeks ago so perhaps we have experienced it under a different regime but I couldn't have asked for a better stay.

Booked it straight away, no deposit needed, and said they would put is in their biggest double so we could fit in the small children. Then they called the week before to confirm, and also to check (as they hadn't got notes) as to whether we needed extra beds for the children, or whether we were bringing our own.

We arrived in a hurry after a stressful journey in the drizzle and late for the wedding, and were able to check in before the wedding, shown to our room and able to get changed and sorted there before dashing off. Very helpful staff, nothing too much trouble.

The room was suprisingly lovely and modern decor, which I wasn't expecting above a 'ye olde' pub. The walls and floors aren't very straight, which I thought was a lovely character thing and probably unsuprising given age of place. That was the only thing I could fault though!
Big en-suite, great shower and very clean, modern. Room got very warm but we could turn off and on radiators and open windows. Bed v comfy and plenty of room for a travel cot and a ready bed for our toddler. Lots of storage though we didn't need it.
Got a taxi to the Fort which was about 5 minutes away so made it in time for the wedding.

After the wedding there was some noise from downstairs til about 11.30 - music and some background chat (I had expected that on a Saturday above a pub) but it didn't stop us sleeping.

Breakfast was 8.30-9.30am but we were offered it at a different time if that suited us, as we had small people with us. Breakfast was great- delicious local sausages particularly, and they did a small portion of the cooked breakfast for our toddler for no extra cost.

There was no mobile signal in the whole of Kingsand or at the fort, and no wifi but the pub had wifi we could use, and offered to let us use thier phone as I needed to make some arrangements for the following day.

Finally, on our way back we had a phone call from them as we'd left our baby blanket and they had found it and wanted to post it back to us so asked for a forwarding address.

Couldn't have had a lovelier stay- even though weather was rough, it was a warm and friendly welcome and wish we could have stayed longer. Especially looking at the lunch menu for that day, looked like very nice posh pub-lunch at a decent price. would recommend.

We paid on departure and we hadn't been charged extra for having children, or the extra smal breakfast, just the basic rate. Which was a welcome change!
Thank you!

Room Tip: We were in room 5. A corner room so 2 sides with windows out into the street . Probably meant it wa...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
somerset england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Staff very helpful and friendly, very cosy bedroom with fantastic en-suite.had a lovely meal in the bar- sizzling seafood- would highly recommend it!
30 second stroll to the beach!!
village is absolutely charming, totally unspoilt with a selection of welcoming pubs,.taking turns to provide live entertainment over the three nights of the weekend.
we overslept and missed the breakfast time slot ,(by half an hour!!)though when we went downstairs Jo said 'no problem and cooked us (and another couple who had overslept) a full english breakfast that was excellent.
couldn't fault it and would definitely stay again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank callysn
York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed here while walking the South West Coast Path. Room was good - a little small but an excellent bathroom. The lady who showed me to my room was very helpful.

A note in the room said that breakfast would be at 0830 unless otherwise requested. I like to be walking by 9 so requested an 8am breakfast and was given a flat refusal. I was not going to take no for an answer - as I am a paying guest, I think I should be able to choose when I have breakfast as long as it is not unreasonable, and 8am is certainly not unreasonable. Eventually they agreed, but with ill grace, and the sausage was half cooked.

There was live music in the pub - this was not made clear to me when I booked. It went on until 2345. I would not have booked had I known this.

Finally, I was told at the time of booking that the price would be £45 but was presented with a bill for £50.

I will stick to traditional B and Bs in future where guest satisfaction is paramount.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank peter4lc
Devon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Visited this venue this afternoon with a tired couple of walkers and a Labrador!
The drinks and food were top notch although a bit pricey! The Doombar was fantastic. I had the veggie Bean and red pepper- very tasty! Very dog friendly venue. Would visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank apopps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsand
Friary Manor Hotel
#7 of 7 in Cawsand
The Devon & Cornwall
The Devon & Cornwall
#1 of 4 in Millbrook

Been to Halfway House Inn? Share your experiences!