“Wow! Great pasta restaurant in Irwin!”

Cenacolo Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Irwin
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Specialing in fresh pasta
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Wow! Great pasta restaurant in Irwin!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I read the Trip Advisor reviews and just had to try it! My husband and I had dinner there August 9th; excellent! We started with the artichoke appetizer (delicious, crunchy and plentiful), we each had a arugula salad with delicious
cheese and balsamic dressing (salad comes with meal), I had the goat cheese gnocchi (melted in my mouth and cheese sauce was fabulous ), husband had pasta with crabmeat (very flavorful), we had tiramisu for dessert (perfect), and then we had complimentary limoncello with almond cookies. Also bread with honey butter is served with salad. All in all a wonderful meal, we will definitely go back. In regards to noise factor as other reviews have noted we did not feel that was an issue. This is also BYOB. Great place highly recommend.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lazlo44

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best pasta--if you are patient”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Let me start by saying that this was probably the BEST pasta dish I have ever had (my wife and our 2 friends agree!). You might think, 'that's all that matters'. In the long run, you are right but be prepared to work for your dinner. First, this place is in the middle of an industrial park in Irwin PA. (about 30 minutes from the center of Pittsburgh without traffic). Without my GPS, we never would have found it. Until you are in front of the restaurant, your instinct will be to turn around--"It can't be here", I insisted...it was! Second, if you go on a Saturday night, be prepared to wait--and wait. We had a 7pm reservation and we weren't seated until 7:45. There are basically 3 sections to this restaurant. One is a cavernous room with a really high ceiling. The second is out in the main area (where they have tables haphazardly placed in every nook and cranny you can imagine). Finally, there is a small room to the right of the door as you enter. Our table was in the first room and the noise was so deafening that we could not carry on a conversation. My observation was that we should have (and will in the future) asked for the 3rd area which had lower ceilings and seemed quieter. All four in our party ordered different, unique pasta dishes (mine was with shrimp, broccolini and vegies in a light pesto sauce) and none of us could finish our meals. Each entrée comes with a wonderful arugula salad and great bread. It is BYOB and they do not charge a corkage fee--YAY! So, two people can dine for under $50. Although they have been open for about a year, I would give them 2 stars for the experience but 6 stars (if I could) for the food. In the long run, that IS all that matters.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank jt15146
“Best pasta dinner anywhere”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I live in the area but only discovered this place by looking on trip advisor. All I can say is, THANK YOU tripadvisor for leading me to this place. It is phenomenal in all aspects. The staff and servers are top notch, friendly and knowledgable. We started out with being served complimentary bread with honey butter and a dish of olives. Then we ordered an order of meatballs. They were the best I've ever had anywhere. Period. A completely unique taste. Then we were served a complimentary salad with fresh tomatoes, a house basalmic vinegarette dressing and provolone cheese. The main course was the star of the show. My wife and I have at very expensive Italian dinners downtown Pittsburgh and in vegas and nothing compares to this place. We both ordered the Bruco dish but with a red meat sauce. I am very hard to please but this place did it easily. Everything was super fresh. All pasta is made in house. When we got our check, our waiter gave us each a small glass of lemoncello (made in house) and a small ginger cookie. I couldn't wait to eAt my leftovers this morning and can't wait to go back again. Dress is casual, alcohol js Byob for now, and reservations are recommended.

1 Thank Jim B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Put this place on your bucket list!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband first went to Cenacolo a few months ago as a lunch outing. He was skeptical about driving all the way from Fox Chapel to Irwin for lunch, but his friend's brother gave it rave reviews. He loved it, and brought home four containers of leftovers. My son and I ate them cold because everything tasted so awesome we couldn't stop to heat them up. This weekend we brought a group of friends from the North Hills and it was a unanimous hit! Despite it being a crowded Friday night, our service was excellent. All of the food was fabulous. We had meatballs, fried artichokes and several pasta dishes, including the Bruco with sundried tomatoes and mushrooms and Tagliolini with crab meat. They even had a gluten-free pasta option that our friend really liked; it wasn't on the menu so ask about it if you have a gluten allergy. They'll make it with any sauce you choose. We are so happy we found Cenacolo. It's worth the drive - from anywhere - and get ready to take home lots of leftovers because the portions are generous. Reservations are a must.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank ml1031
Pittsburgh, PA
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Last night was my second time visiting the restaurant. I felt like I needed to give it a second shot after the first experience my sister and I had there. We went a few months ago on busy Saturday night and the service wasn't to our expectations. We had 8:30 reservations and our entrees didn't arrive until 10:15 which just ruined the whole experience for us. Last night I took a business associate there and we had a wonderful time. The cheese plate was exceptional! I've never tasted prosciutto like that! After the cheese plate we went on to the meatballs---which were fabulous! Then we ended up splitting an entrée because I wanted to save room for tiramisu! We split he orechettie and it was huge! It was good, not the highlight of the evening, but still tasty. We ended up taking half of each of our split portion home. We ended with tiramisu and it was wonderful---however we couldn't finish it all! This is a great little find that is only about a 10 minute drive for me.

• Visited June 2014