“Top grub in snug old pub...”
Review of The Crows Nest Inn

The Crows Nest Inn
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Liskeard
Price range: US$1 - US$100
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The hours in January will be limited and the kitchen is closed until we open it again on the 31st January Sorry for any inconvenience caused
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Without TripAdvisor, or possibly a word with a well informed local, it would be nigh on impossible to find out about this fantastic little pub. Searching the Web does throw up the odd entry on other websites here and there, but nothing that really does it justice, not even their own rather sparse offering. Except TripAdvisor, that is.
Crows Nest is a tiny village, possibly even a hamlet of nearby (also tiny) Darite. I'm quite sure that only a lost tourist would venture down the typically windy and narrow roads that lead there. So for The Crow's Nest to attract any business, and evidently flourish, is some triumph in itself.
With no online menu, we resorted to phoning them to see what was on offer. Mainly because we have occasionally fussy kids who are sometimes awkward to please if menus are a bit sophisticated, you might say. Or poncy, as I would say. We needn't have worried, as the menu offered a good, if modest, selection of dishes for most palates. To summarize, couple of grilled meat/sausage options; a pie; couple of fishy dishies, something veggie, pasta something; burger options, big and smaller; kids stuff, with the option of smaller portions of grown up stuff for kids. Oh and salads too. Don't remember the whole menu, but it all looked good and the options well chosen. I went for sausages (3) and mash/peas/gravy. My wife had sea bass fillet with crushed new potatoes (served timbale, nice touch) and roasted 'on the vine' tomatoes with rocket. Kids had grown - up burgers, (customised a bit without fuss). All were very well presented and the wait was not a long one. I thought the gravy was a tad under-served on mine, but was actually just right. The sausages were large and really good. They looked like they were done in a griddle pan, with all those lovely burnt bits - great stuff. The mash (well, bubble & squeak they called it), was nice, although more mash with bits in, sort of colcannonish, rather than bona fide bubble & squeak. My wife's fish & bits were super. Simply great fish, simply cooked and simply presented. The kids burgers were clearly homemade, and I heard no complaints. I tried a little piece and thought the taste a little gamey, but nice nonetheless. Chips were good - possibly twice fried, as they had that distinctive outer crunch/fluffy inside. Apart from the fact that my daughter wasn't taken with the ciabatta 'bun' with her burger (fussy, did I say?), it was all spot on and more or less gone in no time flat. Good value too. A tad under 50 quid with small soft drinks all round and no desserts. Well worth the effort in getting there. Go, you won't regret it!

1  Thank JohnC342

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stopped off here with our 18 month old for an early dinner. The landlord and staff were all very friendly and the food was good - I had a Stilton ploughmans (with v nice bread!), my husband a roast. Really pleased we dropped in.

1  Thank Camembert80
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyable meal at this wonderful pub. Service was excellent, food excellent and the beer tasted good too. Recommended.

1  Thank cornwall-blue
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Really great country pub - very traditional and with a great atmosphere.
We had garlic bread to start, which was juicy and crisp. Then had the sausage and mash (sausages were full of flavour) and fish and chips (the best chips I've had since I don't know when). Top quality all around !

1  Thank Gunner92
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews we popped in for lunch after visiting the Golitha Falls. Despite the disappointment of having no steak and ale pies (as the chef had sold his last one and was preparing them ready for the evening), we were more than happy with the alternative choices. We enjoyed a filling and tasty lunch washed down with great beer. Whilst only small, this is a really friendly and cosy pub. I only wish we could have made it our local for the whole of our break!