“Excellent Stay”
Review of Pencubitt House

Pencubitt House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Liskeard
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My wife and I had room 3 for 2 nights on the 28th July. Magnificent views over the valley, a balcony and a king size bed. We had one dinner and two breakfasts. The food quality was very high indeed. I don't normally have full breakfast but having tried it once, I had to have it again. The facilities were exactly as I expected and as I wanted. We were visiting the area (which we know well) for a wedding nearby and it was a perfect complement to the wedding celebrations. Quiet, relaxed, and beautiful location and house. Many thanks to our hosts.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David M

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I'm going to start this review by saying that it is with a little regret my mixed feelings about our stay here mean I can only, in all honesty, offer an "Average" rating".

We stayed here for four nights in July in a "Premier King" room. At GBP100 per night for bed and breakfast, I did not really consider this to represent especially good value. A five-night stay would have attracted a "special offer" of all of a GBP30 reduction on the total cost. We did contemplate extending our stay but a combination of poor weather and other factors meant we did not do so.

The proprietors and hosts, Clive and Dorette, are nice people, were welcoming and were happy to offer conversation at breakfast and at other times. The hotel is located on the outskirts of Liskeard which as a location hasn't got much to offer in itself, but is OK as a base for touring the area. The hotel is only a 5-minute walk from the train station which is an alternative way to explore. It's a rural setting with countryside views. Parking is free.

Rooms and public areas are kept spotlessly clean and are furnished and decorated in a sort of old-english country style with many floral, stripe and other patterns in evidence. There is a dining room where breakfast is served daily and, by prior arrangement on weekdays only, one may also have Dinner. This small (8 rooms) hotel has no other facilities such as a pool nor gym etc. That's totally in line with our expectations, but arguably doesn't support the rates charged. There is a small bar at one end of a similarly "traditionally" decorated and furnished lounge. Having solicited GBP100 per night for the room, the proprietor thinks it OK to charge well over GBP3 for a bottle of beer one could purchase in the supermarket for under GBP1. We didn't partake. In contrast, we have experienced other, similar places where policy is to offer such niceties as a service to guests on a no- or minimal profit basis, rather than a further opportunity for income.

In common with the public areas, the rooms are traditional in style and furnishing. The slight disappointment in the room - bearing in mind the nightly rate and its billing "Premier King"- was its size. It is of course an essential feature in this day and age to have en-suite facilities. Adding such facilities to older buildings which weren't conceived in this way (as is the case here) can easily present a challenge to anyone modernising. In this instance, the bathroom is probably a touch larger than it really needs to be and I'd suggest wasn't laid out nor positioned with particularly efficient use of the space. Consequently the once huge bedroom is now L-shaped and feels quite small. At one point, there is only around 12-15 inches between the end of the bed and the corner of the bathroom - a space you have to negotiate to reach the bathroom, TV and sofa.

Coupled with that, there are (one might say consistent with the style) many separate items of furniture; table, TV stand, more tables, lots of lamps and other ornaments and so on - all quite "busy" and this contributes to a slightly claustrophobic feeling offset only by the very high ceiling. It was also a little annoying to find that every one of the electrical sockets I could find in the room - and there are quite a good number - were in use, mostly by all those lights. So I found that, in order to use my computer or charge my phone, I always had to work out which other thing I wasn't using, and unplug that first. There is no desk, so anyone contemplating attending to their business using a laptop may find it uncomfortable. The hotel does, though, offer free secure WiFi throughout, and there is a computer available in the entrance hallway, also free for guests' use.

Back to the room and there is a small flat screen TV with the standard set of UK (digital) TV channels, tea and coffee making facilities and ingredients. We thought that the bed, a standard King (5ft) was a little too soft for comfort and the traditional (heavy) bedding wasn't to our taste. I understand that the hotel has trouser press and ironing facilities for guests' use on request.

The en-suite bathroom is (too) large and has a huge window overlooking the adjacent property and countryside beyond. A full bath with shower over, large washbasin, and toilet are all present, clean and correct. Toiletries and towels are provided. Lighting in the bathroom is woefully inadequate. There is a single ceiling fitment which has a low-powered energy saving bulb in it that produces dismally insufficient light even after being allowed to "warm up". And there is a marginally more useful incandescent striplight over the washbasin. There is nowhere one can conveniently place one's toiletries and so on; the very small glass shelf by the washbasin is already mostly occupied by the items supplied leaving little or no room for anything extra. There is a rather unstable floor standing low wire rack across from the washbasin which had to suffice - not very conveniently. There is no substitute for a large flat surface.

The highlight of the stay was the breakfast, the hot component of which was freshly prepared to order from obviously high quality ingredients - I understand all locally sourced. Fruit, cereals, breads and pastries, preserves, toast - everything for a full breakfast - were all on offer. I'd rate this element as nothing short of excellent.

It's that, plus the welcome and the clear impression that they want to impress, that causes my mixed feelings. There are aspects of this place that are lacking; some of those things (such as lighting and electrics, type of bedding etc.) could be addressed quite easily; others (such as the shape and size of the room) cannot. And then there are aspects of sheer excellence - not least that breakfast. I probably wouldn't stay here again for a future visit to the area, but I can fully understand why others would want to do so.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank SCAN60
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Lovely room, charming hosts, lovely few days away. Great breakfast. Pointed out good local reataurants and attractions. Plan to return soon

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed in Room 1, the single, which was charming and had all the amenities I needed for a comfortable stay. My parents had Room 5, the premier double, and were overjoyed with the beautiful room, fabulous views and substantial bathroom. The owners, Clive and Dorette, couldn't have been more accommodating or attentive and really were the perfect hosts. Stay here if you're going to Cornwall, or make a special trip to stay at Pencubitt, its well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Nicola114
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This hotel is a five stars just a 20 minutes walk from Liskeard. The landscaping make you feel that your are already in the moors.
The owners make a great effort to welcome you. Everything is perfect about this hotel. The rooms have a great charm so does the bathroom. Attention to every detail. You really want to stay several weeks because you are so well looked after.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle L
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

Beautiful house and decor. Owners super friendly, welcoming and very good cooks. We had room 9, the one with the big slipper bath... I wanted to take the bath home - gorgeous!!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank shcambridge
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed here to explore the local areas of Looe, Polperro, and Liskeard and get some much needed relaxation, the hotel and its owners delivered on every level, nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel very welcome from arrival. The superking bedroom was lovely and the slipper bath was fantastic! Evening meal was perfectly cooked and delicious, and on the strength of everything, my Fiance and I would be hard pushed to want to stay anywhere else the next time we travel into Cornwall.

Room Tip: Room 9 (superking size bed, large bathroom with toilet, shower, and slipper bath) and good view of t...