“Superb service”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Liskeard
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Superb service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. Very comfortable, scrupulously clean, and above all the excellent service. I had to leave early in the morning before breakfast and Clive provided me with a 'packed breakfast to eat' This was way beyond the service which is normally provided. I was in Cornwall on business but I shall make the effort to go back there. Many thanks

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Faircross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

A beautifully decorated hotel, perfect for a short break. I have stayed a number of times recently in different rooms- all of which were perfectly maintained, spotlessly clean and spacious. Lovely bathrooms and common areas too.

I found the owners to be friendly and helpful without being in anyway intrusive. Would also highly recommend the breakfast-fantastic fruit salad, eggs and mushrooms!

I stayed here as part of a business trip but if I was to come to the area again for leisure I would definitely stay here. A real gem.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at the Pencubitt Country House Hotel for a couple of nights when I attended my sons wedding. When I arrived on the Thursday evening I was met by Clive who made me feel immediately welcome. I was the only guest on the 2 nights I was there and as I was attending my sons wedding I did not get a chance to try the restaurant food, however, I did have the breakfast and it was superb. My room was at the top of the house and it had a fantastic bathroom with a roll top bath, separate shower and was very spacious.
The house is in a lovely setting and I would imagine that in the spring or summer the whole area is beautiful.
Clive and Dorret were the perfect hosts and I would certainly go back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

We had neither heard of this hotel nor read any reviews, but the location was ideal. What a great surprise. As you approach the house from the drive with well tended garden and lawn, you expect comfort, and we were not disappointed. From the moment we entered, a pleasant welcome, then help with the luggage to a great bedroom with a lovely view. We had dinner in on two nights and it was superb. The host and hostess are so welcoming and attentive. We have stayed in many hotels and we believe this to be the best on all counts. A definite return!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9, and though I didn't view any others, I doubt that any ane would be less tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel again with my parents. They were in the Premier King room which was beautifully decorated in keeping with the house. The room was large and as they have trouble moving around these days they were grateful for the ease in which they could move from the bedroom area to the bathroom without any trouble. The room looks out over the gardens and is very peaceful. As with the rest of Pencubitt, it was spotlessly clean.

I had room 2, a double room. This, again was beautifully decorated, completely in the style of the house, as all rooms are. The bathroom was beautifully appointed, the facilities in the bedrooms were superior and even though the room looked out over the front entrance, was very peaceful. I did not hear any other guests arrive or leave and I know they did whilst I was there.

The breakfasts were, as ever, absolutely splendid using local produce where possible. The sausages, in particular, from Bray's are the best I've ever tasted!

Clive and Dorette make you feel extremely welcome and are the perfect hosts. They are friendly without being pushy and both have a lovely manner about them. They are the perfect personalities to be running Pencubitt.

This is a country house hotel and is advertised as somewhere "Far from the madding crowd", ie it is a get-away-from-it-all place which delivers on every count. It is good to go somewhere which has real heart and history and is not filled with modern furniture and furnishings, just because they are easier to buy. Clive and Dorette have put so much into this hotel that they should be proud.

We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Room 5 is the Premier King and has beautiful views over the gardens and beyond.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicola114
Market Deeping, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

What a fabulous smart elegant hotel, run by Clive & Dorette who know how to make you feel welcome, comfortable and to ensure your 'holiday' is just that. Spotlessly clean, with every comfort you could wish for and service that was not intrusive and never a problem. This hotel has charm, elegance and has been internally finished with style. I have stayed in hotels all over the UK and Europe and would have to go a long way to find better. Personalised service makes a difference and as for food, just sit back and enjoy the freshness and quality. If you want a hotel with class then you have to pay for it and this was, in my view, good value for the standard provided. Liskeard is not the best place to visit but then Clive and Dorette didn't build Liskeard, they built a lovely place to rest in an area that is ideal for touring the north and south of Cornwall's beautiful coasts.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra to get a King room with balcony (room 3). It's not huge but neither is...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Devon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We booked this hotel based entirely on the Tripadvisor comments and we weren't disappointed.

The house is Victorian, but don't go thinking that its in anyway shabby or out of date ; it's been sensitively adapted to its new purpose and does it well.. The host and hostess are welcoming and treat their guests as just that ... guests.

The room was plenty large enough and the en-suite was well appointed and up to date.

The Breakfast was good. The fruit salad was wonderful and the "full English" well cooked. We had dinner in the hotel. The menu is predetermined and we chose our dishes the previous day. The food was well cooked and tasty.

At £99 a night for the room and B + B and £30 for dinner this hotel is excellent value and a real Gem.

Room Tip: Room 6 is excellent. Roomy, comfortable and wonderful views over the countryside.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liskeard
Trelaske Hotel & Restaurant
The Scarlet Hotel
#1 of 3 in Mawgan Porth
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,500 reviews
The Old Quay House Hotel

Been to Pencubitt House? Share your experiences!