“Superb!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Liskeard
London, England, United Kingdom
“Superb!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We have just returned from a few days leisure break in Cornwall and despite changeable weather we had a fantastic time. We stumbled upon Pencubitt on Google and it stood out immediately because of the website, which is excellent. On arrival, it is quite breath taking. A wonderfully kept building in beautiful grounds.

The hotel is stunning. We stayed in room 9 - at the top of the house. The room is fantastic, with plenty of room and stunning views over fields. We chose that room from the pictures on the website, and we were absolutely delighted with it. Total peace and quiet, which is what we wanted.

The owners, Dorette and Clive are charming and cannot do enough to make you feel welcome. They run the hotel with pride, energy and enthusiasm and are without doubt the best hosts of any hotel we have stayed in, here or abroad.

Clive's cooked breakfast is truly something that everyone should enjoy. All locally sourced produce, and boy can you taste the difference!

So in summary, we cannot recommend this hotel and it's owners highly enough. Superb accommodation set in beautiful grounds, wonderful hosts, amazing breakfast.

If you are thinking of a break in Cornwall, this must be at the top of your short list. The only thing you will regret is if you choose to stay somewhere else.

Thank you for a wonderful few days.

Bridie and Darren

Room Tip: All the rooms look nice but room 9 is big with amazing views. At the top of the house but worth the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Another wonderful stay at the Pencubitt.
In our regular visits to the St. Austell area to visit family we couldn't stay anywhere else.
Clive and Dorette are excellent hosts and their hotel is second to none.
The breakfast is exemplary (thank you Clive) and the rooms are spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished the beds are so comfortable you just don't want to get up in the morning!!
Of course... those views of the Looe Valley - well, what can you say - opening the curtains to the stunning scenery is the best start to any day.
See you again soon Pencubitt.
Olive & Graham

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Beautifully furnished rooms with excellent amenities and great bathrooms and serving superb breakfasts. The beds are exceptionally comfortable, the rooms are very nicely furnished, the guest lounge is a delight, with lots of comfortable areas, plenty of light and lots to read - plus a nice bar if needed. The breakfasts are amazing - everything you could want in fresh fruits, cereals and yoghurt, plus whatever you select for a cooked breakfast, prepared to perfection by Clive. Just remember, if you want the kippers, to let him know the day before! The setting is peaceful, just on the edge of town, overlooking the countryside.

I arrived without a booking late one afternoon in March 2013, and was immediately welcomed and offered choices of rooms. (Of course, when the season gets going, you will probably need a booking.) It was a marvellous place to relax. They do not serve evening meals, but have a detailed guide to all the excellent local alternatives, and will happily help you select and reserve. There's free wi-fi, but coverage in bedrooms is patchy due to very thick walls. If there's a problem, do the electronic communication in the lounge, where the signal is fine. There's also an internet-connected computer that guests can use.

Room Tip: Some have baths with hand showers, others just showers - your preference there may determine which r...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peasmould
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. Very comfortable, scrupulously clean, and above all the excellent service. I had to leave early in the morning before breakfast and Clive provided me with a 'packed breakfast to eat' This was way beyond the service which is normally provided. I was in Cornwall on business but I shall make the effort to go back there. Many thanks

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Faircross
Ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2012

A beautifully decorated hotel, perfect for a short break. I have stayed a number of times recently in different rooms- all of which were perfectly maintained, spotlessly clean and spacious. Lovely bathrooms and common areas too.

I found the owners to be friendly and helpful without being in anyway intrusive. Would also highly recommend the breakfast-fantastic fruit salad, eggs and mushrooms!

I stayed here as part of a business trip but if I was to come to the area again for leisure I would definitely stay here. A real gem.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at the Pencubitt Country House Hotel for a couple of nights when I attended my sons wedding. When I arrived on the Thursday evening I was met by Clive who made me feel immediately welcome. I was the only guest on the 2 nights I was there and as I was attending my sons wedding I did not get a chance to try the restaurant food, however, I did have the breakfast and it was superb. My room was at the top of the house and it had a fantastic bathroom with a roll top bath, separate shower and was very spacious.
The house is in a lovely setting and I would imagine that in the spring or summer the whole area is beautiful.
Clive and Dorret were the perfect hosts and I would certainly go back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We had neither heard of this hotel nor read any reviews, but the location was ideal. What a great surprise. As you approach the house from the drive with well tended garden and lawn, you expect comfort, and we were not disappointed. From the moment we entered, a pleasant welcome, then help with the luggage to a great bedroom with a lovely view. We had dinner in on two nights and it was superb. The host and hostess are so welcoming and attentive. We have stayed in many hotels and we believe this to be the best on all counts. A definite return!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9, and though I didn't view any others, I doubt that any ane would be less tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liskeard
Talland Bay Hotel
Fowey Hall
Fowey Hall
#1 of 3 in Fowey
The Old Quay House Hotel

Been to Pencubitt House? Share your experiences!