“Tasty, great value and fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fat Frog cafe

The Fat Frog cafe
Ranked #2 of 4 Coffee & Tea in Liskeard
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Fat Frog is a family run cafe in a small Cornish town. We cater mainly for the locals but look forward to our visitors from all over the world. We frequently get complimented on our coffees. We specialise in all-day breakfasts and grills but have many other dishes, including homemade meals. We are popular with families as we are very child friendly. All of our food is prepared to order so you can choose to mix and match the menu items. We like to think that our prices are pretty reasonable compared with the 'chains'. We do special offers all the time.
Norfolk
“Tasty, great value and fun”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Liskeard on a Sunday lunchtime seemed to be a food-free zone until we came across this quirky and cheerful cafe crammed full of frog ornaments, some of which were hilariously tacky. The food was excellent - my home-made mushroom soup was particularly delicious, and so thick that the spoon almost stood up in it - and the prices were very reasonable. We were served by a friendly and efficient young man, who was evidently very fit too, as we later saw him running up the steep hill outside the cafe to try to catch a customer who had left her cardigan behind.

Most of the customers were locals, and many of them knew one another, so the owner's formula obviously works. There were ponytailed chaps in camo gear, some smartly dressed women of the 'Ladies Who Lunch' variety and a family whose young children were happily somersaulting over the furniture.

A minor quibble was that my milkshake turned out to be a proprietary version in a plastic container, which was ok but I had hoped for something home-made in a county (or nation?) with such a strong dairy tradition. Also, although the place was clean the table was rather sticky as was mentioned by a previous reviewer - perhaps time to use a different cleaning product? Nonetheless, a very pleasant experience and we would definitely drop by again the next time we are in the area.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Paul H
Lynda G, Owner at The Fat Frog cafe, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thanks for your review. I am glad you were pleased with most of it. We have always opened on a Sunday and it is the one day that everyone can relax and have some fun. We used to do our own special milkshakes but they became expensive to make and these are quick and easy and taste good. Most of our frogs have been given to us by customers who often check that we still have them. We have stopped using the cleaning stuff on the tables and have repainted them all but still they seem sticky. Maybe it is the paint. Hope you call in again.

“Go ahead, be a Bullfrog :)”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This place is fantastic! I've visited several times over the last few weeks and enjoyed the Bullfrog breakfast and the special chicken sandwich. Every time I've been it's been exceptional! Friendly service, reasonable price, and fantastic food! Look forward to my next trip to Liskeard for friends and Fat Frog food :)

3 Thank Jerry T
Lynda G, Owner at The Fat Frog cafe, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you, Jerry T, for your lovely review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your visits to the Fat Frog. We love having new people come in especially ones who keep coming back. It was lovely to meet you and your friends and hope to see you again when you come back to Liskeard.
Morval, England
“Dreadful service”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Can't complain about the value, but when we dropped in today the service was awful,the table was so sticky I had to peel my saucer off to move my drink and the cutlery was filthy. None of the locals seemed to have an issue with the service - does this mean it is normal for Liskeard?

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank JoeWhite999
Lynda G, Owner at The Fat Frog cafe, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
I am sorry that you had a bad experience. However hard we try we can't help the odd bad hour or two especially as we do get very, very busy. By the way it is the spray cleaner that makes the saucers and plates stick to the tables.
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Fat Frog”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I recently moved to Liskeard, and was enticed into the Fat Frog Cafe because I found the name amusing. I'm so glad I did! Really lovely home cooked food, and friendly efficient service. I didn't have an internet connection at home for a while so I was in the cafe quite a lot to take advantage of the free wiFi, and can particularly recommend the cauliflower cheese and also the fishcakes. Oh, and the rather naughty Bailey's hot chocolate has just got to be tried. Whenever friends and family visit I make sure to take them there at some point during their visit.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Richthefish
Lynda G, Owner at The Fat Frog cafe, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your really lovely review. We look forward to seeing you and your friends and family again (and again!)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Little belter”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Really nice relaxing cafe, great value and lovely staff. We had the special as it was easter, 2 hot cross buns each and a coffee for 2.50, can't go wrong

Visited April 2014
1 Thank raycouch
Lynda G, Owner at The Fat Frog cafe, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for your good review. We have travelled around a lot with our children and take pleasure in providing the sort of place where people of any age are welcome.