“Great for walkers, dogs and cyclists...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liskeard
Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Great for walkers, dogs and cyclists...”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our second visit to a forest cabin and I think our last. It's a lovely idea, and this is just my view but it was a bit disappointing this time. The setting is very picturesque and the cabins are as described, the beds are very comfy and there is a TV with limited channels and a dvd player. The kitchen is basically equipped so do bring your stock cupboard and containers.

It's a great base if you are touring around on a bike or a walking holiday, but for a luxury break it's not quite right. If you remove the hot tub, (great if you've been out walking all day) and the fluffy gowns and slippers, then it's just a basic log cabin in the middle of nowhere; remote enough to be cut off from roads, traffic noise pollution, mobile and Wi-Fi signals, but not remote enough to be away from neighbours, who look straight into your hot tub and balcony, (so we didn't use it), screaming children and various ducks and geese patrolling the very muddy pond banks.

The staff were very friendly and a minor issue with the key was dealt with immediately. Looking at the kind of cottages and apartments you can get for the same price if not less I think that is what we will do next time. it's really about what you are looking for, so if you want a luxury weekend away in the peace of the countryside, probably not for you, but if you want a base for an activity weekend or holiday with kids and animals then its perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank magpieok
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Deerpark. I am sorry to hear you didn’t find it as relaxing as you had hoped. Our locations are in unique settings on Forestry Commission land and that is a key part of the luxury – timeless, natural spaces that are hard to find in today’s busy world. I am pleased that you found the setting picturesque and the team at Deerpark friendly, even if the holiday was not quite as you had expected.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
West Midlands
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband, and I have just returned from a week long stay at Deerpark and have had the most relaxing time!
The location is absolutely beautiful, lodges set in a wooded valley so very peaceful and picturesque. From the moment we arrived on the Monday afternoon to the moment we left on the Friday morning we had such a lovely time.
Morning were spent walking our border collie around the woods, days were spent out and about visiting the local towns and beaches of Looe, Polperro, Fowey, Talland Bay to name a few and evening were spent relaxing with a glass of wine in the hot tub!
We stayed in a silver birch cabin (#23) it's set out of the way from the other cabins so it's very private, it was very clean, modern and had a cosy log burner and a hot tub.
On our way to Deerpark we stopped off at a local supermarket to stock up on supplies so we cooked our own food so unfortunately didn't experience the food in the retreat however my husband said the coffee's there were amazing!
What was even more relaxing was that due to the location of Deerpark there is no mobile phone signal so a week of no calls, emails, internet was absolute bliss!
All of the staff we came into contact with were very professional and friendly, especially Mark who came and checked our hot tub daily; we got on so well with him we sat and had a cup of tea with him on our balcony and he drew us plans on how to construct decking at our new home...! Lovely guy and we've even took his email address so we can send him pictures of the finished product! Ha! That's going the extra mile for the customers if ever i've seen it!
Overall we had an incredibly relaxing stay and so much so I have booked another Forrest Holiday retreat at the Forest of Dean for my husbands birthday! However we will DEFINATELY return to Deerpark!

Room Tip: Lodge 23 is beautiful and is set away from most of the other lodges and has a log burner and hot tub...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent holiday at Deerpark. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed it so much. It sounds as if you made the most of the visiting the local area and exploring the woods with your dog. I hope that decking project is going well now you’re home! We look forward to seeing at Forest of Dean for your husband’s birthday.
West Midlands, UK
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for one week at the end of May in a 3-bed Golden Oak cabin as a couple with a dog and some friends. The cabin itself is lovely – powerful shower, dishwasher, dvd player, Wii, board games, log burner, hot tub, deck with views over the mill pond… everything you would want in a peaceful luxury retreat, a home from home. The ‘resort’ is lovely, staff are friendly, shop and café are useful and there’s activities for kids if you want them, though they did seem a little pricey. There’s a brilliant network of paths from the site for local walks, lovely woodland and very dog friendly. The wider area is wonderful, recommend Looe, Polperro, Polruan and Fowey, amazing coast path walks and lovely little towns, some amazing meals out to be had.

Now to the only negative, and it’s a biggy. In the cabin next to ours, there was a group of 6 male college students on a field trip… And they had no respect for their neighbours. For the first three nights of our trip we got hardly any sleep. They were out on their decking and in the hot tub playing music and shouting, screaming and using foul language until gone 1 in the morning. We reported this after our first night first thing in the morning, and nothing at all was done until it happened a second night and we reported it again. Finally, on the 4th night, it quietened down, after they were warned and had their hot tub drained by the staff. In a family resort, to me this is just unacceptable. We paid around £1000 for one week, with the specific aim of peace, quiet and relaxation, and we didn’t sleep for 3 nights. We only got a simple apology. We overheard one couple got £100 compensation because their fridge had spoiled some meat, and yet we had half our holiday ruined and were not offered any conciliatory gesture.

I personally really loved this place, and would have liked to have come back, but am hesitant to or to recommend it to others with the risk of such a thing happening again, as it pains me to part with money for a relaxing break, only to end up somewhere noisier than at home.

6 Thank annat1uk
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that the first part of your holiday was marred by noisy neighbours. It is our policy to act swiftly and assertively when guests are disturbing the peace for others. Having warned the noisy party on a number of occasions, we eventually took the measure you describe and drained their hot tub. This was a last resort and it did prove effective; however, I apologise for the disturbance to your holiday that was caused in the meantime.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were looking for a location close enough to our home town (Dorset) but far enough away that it felt like we were having a proper break. Deerpark in Cornwall was perfect, Reasonably priced, accommodation spotlessly clean, everything in the rooms that you could want, just perfect! We upgraded to Golden Cabin which we strongly recommend, Bath towels, Hot Tub towels and Hand Towels for all guests, slippers, robes and the all important Hot Tub which was checked every day to ensure it was clean and safe.
The holiday started with a fun duck race for all the family. A free event and good fun! The site was perfect and the staff were just incredibly friendly and helpful. Lots of lovely forest walks you can do too and loads of wildlife to see! You can get lovely little extras delivered to your cabin such as pizzas, curry's, cream teas plus much more. The little retreat wasn't too pricey either and there was laundry facilities on site too. We would, without doubt, go back in a flash! Cannot recommend this place enough. Go Go Go! You won;t regret it!
Matt & Charlotte

Room Tip: Ask for cabin 1 (bronze) or 2 (gold) for a quieter and more private location
1 Thank Matt S
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your Forest Holidays break at Deerpark and that so much of it seemed to hit the spot for you. It’s also great that you would recommend us. I hope you will be back again before too long.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have wanted to go to one of the Forest Holiday parks for years. We actually have a week booked at the Forest of Dean park in September, but we were looking for somewhere not too far away to celebrate our wedding anniversary and chose Deerpark for a 3 night weekend break.

From reading previous reviews I gathered that the location of the cabin you are allocated could make or break your holiday! So I spent forever reading through all of the tips, looking on Google Maps and the site map to figure out which cabin to pick to get one as secluded as possible and with a view. I paid £25 extra and pre-booked cabin 11, which is a 3 bed Golden Oak cabin overlooking the lake.

One of the things it's hard to find out in advance are which cabins are elevated, which are at ground level and where the paths go. To summarise, as best I can recall, cabins 6-10 are all Golden Oak 2 or 3 beds facing the lake with 6 the closest to reception. No. 7 is the tree house and had a party staying making a fair bit of noise in the hot tub so if you want peace and quiet maybe stay far away from it! No's 6-10 are not directly on the lake, there is a path running between them and the lake and the balconies are exposed. In fact, looking around the park there were very few cabins which if you were in the hot tub felt completely secluded. No. 11, was set right on the lake and the path goes behind it. From the hot tub we were not overlooked at all. No. 12 is elevated pretty high, then the path runs back infront of cabins 13-17 and then you have to walk back up to the road. The Silver Birch cabins 18-21 had lovely views of the lake too and looked really secluded, and I might consider staying in one of these if I were on more of a budget next time, only drawback I could see was these backed onto the road, though it's not busy so I guess it wouldn't be too much of an issue. That's most of the lake view cabins. Cabins 1-5 have a nice view of a little pond, but are close to the Forest Retreat and have people walking by.

I was impressed with the interior of the cabin. It looked like it was pretty new, or had recently been renovated. We had one twin bedroom downstairs, another upstairs as well as the master bedroom with an ensuite. The hot tub was wonderful and the main reason we chose to stay here. The temperature was perfect and it was serviced each day around lunchtime. There were just a few things which bothered me about the cabin and I would have expected better, for the price. These were: the outdoor seating--it looked as though there are cabins with nice garden furniture, chairs and table and others with a basic picnic table. We had a the latter. This wouldn't bother me at all, but there's no way a group of 6 could fit around it, so I don't know where everyone is expected to sit if it was at full capacity! Also, the bins were really cheap, rusty and in one case broken. There was generally a good selection of cooking utensils, pots and pans in the kitchen but what we lacked was a wire grill tray for the oven.

The park is in a lovely setting, lots of big trees and a sheltered valley make you feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere and this really is the major draw.
There are a few short trails you can do from the park and reception will give you a map. We did the red one around the lake and along the stream and the blue one which is in another area a mile or so out of the park. It was a little more strenuous and you can drive up to the start of it and park there, shortening the walk a little.

The Forest Retreat was nice, somewhere to get tea and some lunch. Though for some reason the food took ages and we thought they might have forgotten about our paninis as they took half an hour to make. There are a few supplies to be bought, but not everything you might need, so make sure you pack it all as I'm not sure where the nearest supermarket is.

One night we had take away curries from the Retreat. You have to go and order it there and they will deliver. I'm not sure whether they just give you microwaved curries from the ones they stock in the freezer to buy, but mine was not even warm when it arrived. Next time I would save money and just microwave my own! We also had pizza another night. Now the pizza was really nice, but we almost ended up having to go back and pick it up as the shop assistant was on her own (we didn't as she found someone to cover) but I felt a bit guilty and don't understand why Forest Holidays make a big fuss of being able to order in pizza when it might not always be possible due to lack of staff! Generally we were left feeling a bit confused about what the cafe/restaurant/take away was trying to be. Last order is at 7.30pm which is surely when most people are just starting to think about dinner.

When you arrive you are given a list of acivities on during your stay. A good range from guided nature walks, teddy bears picnic, wildlife spotting etc. only issue was they are expensive! I think the offer was £28 for a family of 4 or £10 per adult. Seemed a lot for what they were. The guided walk through the remnants of the mine buildings sounded good, but for £20 it didn't seem worth it. I just wonder how many people actually do the activities.

I'm almost done, promise! The only other minor gripe I had was with the check in time. It's 4pm and as I read on a Manager's response to another reviewer mentioning this, it takes that long to get the cabins cleaned etc. Well, come on, if every other 4-5* hotel/caravan park/accomodation manages it by 1 or 2pm then surely you need more staff? I don't get it.

And I'm done! Finally will say that it's a great and different choice for exploring Cornwall or just as a relaxing break and if you pick your cabin carefully and overlook the few minor points above, you will have a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jackie M
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review following your recent break at Deerpark. I am pleased that, on the whole you enjoyed your break. I am sure you don’t want me to respond in detail to your every point but what I will say is that all your feedback is helpful to us and we will put in every effort make improvements where we can. We look forward to seeing you at the Forest of Dean in September.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My partner and I just got back today after a 3 night stay, as soon as we got there we said we will defiantly be coming back! The location is just asboloutly beautiful, very quiet and peaceful. Walked in to scrabble set up on the table spelling out "welcome" which was a warming homely touch. It was just lovely to sit in the hot tub listening to the birds and the stream. We had birds down on the decking for their morning bread and we even spotted a deer strolling along the path! The staff are very kind and helpful. We stayed in a silver birch cabin (#39) it's set out of the way from the other cabins so it's very private, it was very clean, modern and our hot tub was cleaned every day..I cannot fault it atal! The only thing I was a little annoyed by (and it really is a tiny matter)....after reading reviews I noticed a few people saying that some silver birch cabins had a log burner..so before going I rang to check if cabin 39 had one as I would of taken my own logs, I was told that our cabin did not have one, I read more recent reviews from this year that also said these cabins had log burners.....so I rang back just to double check, I was informed that the cabins had been refurbished and that all the burners in deerpark silver cabins had their log burners removed, which was fine as when booking I was aware our cabin wasn't going to have one....so when I walked into the cabin to see a nice little cosy log burner sat in the corner I wasn't best pleased having to pay put for logs :( after 2 mins I brushed it off and enjoyed out lovely forest retreat. We are already looking to come back - cannot wait to visit again hopefully in cabin 39 :) best get away I've had! Came home very relaxed! And couldnt resist spelling out "good bye" on scrabble when we left. Will be seeing you again VERY soon. Thank you for a lovely stay :)

Room Tip: Cabin 39 - very private, log burner and hot tub
2 Thank Mummy2Evie
Thank you for your review following your recent Forest Holidays break at Deerpark. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable getaway and felt relaxed. Sorry about the mix up over the log burner but hopefully it was better than the other way around, thinking you had one and then finding out you hadn’t! We look forward to seeing you at Deerpark again in the future.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

we have just returned from a weeks holiday in Deerpark Forest and already can't wait to go back.
the location is absolutely stunning. we stayed in a copper beech lodge which is the cheapest option but we were still very impressed with its location on the site, the quality of the lodge and the stunning views. you have a lovely decked balcony that sits in the sun and if you leave bread out, several different species of bird fly down to gobble it up. there are also ducks and geese (with goslings) to feed on the lake.
they do a free duck race every week which was great fun, there are several other activities to do which are especially good if you have children. there is plenty of woodlands to walk / cycle round and the facility to hire a bike if you don't have your own.
which brings us to the staff, all the staff are so friendly and helpful and they were never to busy to speak to us, they recommended local places to eat which were all excellent (especially Sams on the Beach in Polkerris). also the on site shop is very reasonably priced and has a good selection of groceries, ciders and ales.
all in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and really did not want to leave.
A BIG THANKS TO ALL THE STAFF!!!!!

Room Tip: most of the copper beech lodges are up steep steps so i would recommend a silver birch if you have d...
2 Thank paulandlucynelson
A big thanks to you too for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your break at Deerpark and particularly happy that you felt well looked after by the team. I do hope you will stay with us again before too long.

Holiday Advisor Team Leader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liskeard
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Piran Meadows Resort & Spa
Piran Meadows Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in White Cross
Pine Green Valley Caravan Park

Been to Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall? Share your experiences!