“The most idyllic holiday ever..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liskeard
Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall
GreenLeadersSilver level
Swindon, United Kingdom
“The most idyllic holiday ever..”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This place is amazing, complete rest and relaxation with guaranteed no signal! The staff are so friendly, the cabin (no 16) was just perfect, the hot tub and everything in the lodge was brill, the list goes on and on, it could not be faulted AT ALL. We had wall to wall sunshine from the second we got there, then it started to rain on the way home! We also fell hopelessly in love with Victor and his wives(!) and babies, we bought an extra loaf or two every day for them and the very entertaining huge barbell that were in the millpond right next to our chalet! I would certainly recommend it and will be saving to go back as soon as able..Victor has a very special place in our hearts, bless him xx
As a footnote, I really do not understand the negative reviews, it was perfect and if anything the 360 video for the Silver Birch cabin does not do it justice, I think some people are not happy unless they are complaining!

Bye Victor.. See you soon xx

Room Tip: Number 16 was lovely
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rachel M
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review following your recent Forest Holidays break at Deerpark. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us; it sounds as if you made some new friends too! We look forward to your next visit to Deerpark and we will do all we can to ensure it is every bit as enjoyable as this one.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here with my three bridesmaids for my hen do from 20th-23rd June. We had a six berth Golden Oak cabin and paid the extra to choose our own before we went, and chose number 11.

We arrived too early to check in so went out for lunch to the nearby Plough at Duloe. It's a ten minute drive from the site and the food was gorgeous. Large portions and reasonably priced too. Highly recommended.

On arrival the cabin was spotless. It looks like it's had a recent refurb as all the furniture and kitchen units were unmarked, there were no dirty marks on the paintwork and everything was still shiny and clean in the bathroom. There was plenty of crockery and utensils in the cupboards, and a good range of kitchen accessories to cook a basic meal.

The cabin was not overlooked at all, but some of them at the other end of the site looked a bit close together and were overlooked by other cabins.

There were quite a few cars parked up which made me think they were fairly busy that weekend, but it was so peaceful it was as if we were the only ones there at times. Our cabin was right on the waters edge. We had allocated parking but it was not right next to the cabin - we had to park on the road and walk down some quite steep steps and gravel bank. Not a problem for us, but bear this in mind if you're choosing cabin 11 and have mobility issues. Some cabins do have parking directly outside.

We had a grocery delivery after our arrival which we'd pre-ordered at home before we left. I contacted Deer Park beforehand and they informed me that Tesco, Sainsburys and Asda all deliver to the site. We chose Tesco and when we checked in on the Friday we informed them of our order and they made a note of it so they could direct the driver to our cabin.

The beds were very comfortable and the duvets very snuggly. I sometimes wake up with backache when I'm sleeping away from home, but this was not the case. There was an en-suite off the main bedroom which I had but there was only a bath in it, no shower. There was a twin room upstairs next to the master bedroom, and a twin downstairs next to the bathroom, which did have a shower. There was a Wii in the lounge but we didn't use it, and likewise with the log burner (it was a hot weekend!). The TV only had five channels (and not a brilliant picture) but again, we didn't use the TV so it wasn't a problem.

The hot tub was ready for use on our arrival and was plenty warm enough. It was checked each morning and most of my evenings were spent in it! Plastic glasses are provided so you don't take glass outside.

There is absolutely no mobile phone reception anywhere on site. Don't forget you are in the forest in quite literally the middle of nowhere, so there's no reason why there should be reception. This was not a problem for me as it was nice to get away from phonecalls, Facebook and e-mails for a few days. There is wifi in reception. A couple of my party went up there over the weekend to check into their return flights home but it wasn't available for whatever reason, but the staff allowed them to use the computer behind the desk.

The staff on site were all very friendly and helpful. My bridesmaids had arranged a spa afternoon in our cabin on the Sunday afternoon, and despite the booking being in my name it was kept a surprise from me. We thought we had trouble with the hot tub on our arrival as it didn't seem to be making many bubbles, and within 10 minutes of us going to reception someone was round looking at it. It turns out it was fine, it was us just expecting it to be a bit more powerful than what it was.

My party arrived in two separate cars and both sat navs took us down single track country lanes that made us question whether we were going the right way. Over the course of the weekend as we went out and about we discovered that there are more direct ways to get to the cabin than the sat navs took us. So do take a map and use that as well - the sat navs certainly did not take us the most direct way to places. Cornwall is very rural in places and people had warned me about the roads before I went, but I didn't think we'd be taken down single track lanes to get places!

I only have a few negatives from my trip, none of which spoilt my trip but would have made it 100% perfect instead of 99%...

Firstly the decking didn't look like it had been swept as there were a few cigarette butts on the floor. Leaves I can understand as you are surrounded by trees, but a group of non-smokers do not wish to be picking up other peoples dirty fag butts.

Secondly, there were four of us in a six berth cabin, but every day by the time the fourth person got into the shower in the morning there was hardly any water pressure. It was a really powerful shower to start with, but by the end it was just a dribble. If there were six people staying in the cabin this would have been more of a problem.

Thirdly, being a Golden Oak cabin, dressing gowns and slippers were provided BUT only in the master bedroom. If the cabin sleeps six then there should be six provided in my opinion. I'd done my research before going and knew there would only be two gowns for the master bedroom, so two of my party went prepared and took their own.

Fourthly, the hot tub only seated four people, maybe five at a push. There was certainly no room for a sixth person due to the steps in the way. This wasn't a problem for us as there was only four of us. If the cabin was at it's full capacity somebody would have been left disappointed! The table on the decking was also only big enough for four people. It was quite a tired looking park style table/bench which had a large grease stain on it at one end. We did notice some cabins had reasonably new-looking tables and chairs of a different style and this would probably have been preferred as a few of us suffer from backache after sitting on a bench for too long.

This is my third visit to Forest Holidays - I've stayed in Silver Birches at Strathyre and Keldy in the past. I've not been let down yet but the actual cabin I had at Deer Park has probably been the best. Whilst walking round the site we did notice a few cabins were in the process of being refurbished.

Overall, I had a fabulous time. The only negatives I've mentioned really were minor issues and didn't spoil my holiday in the slightest but I felt that they need to be mentioned.

I'd definitely go back. Maybe not in a Golden Oak as I don't feel the extra is worth it. I'm quite happy taking my own towels and dressing gowns, and am not interested in having a Wii. A Silver Birch is perfectly adequate for me as all I want is a hot tub :-) We only went for a Golden Oak as at the time of booking it was all that was available with a hot tub that had more than two twin beds.

Room Tip: Cabin 11 has had a recent refub, but you have to park away from the cabin and walk down some steep s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clevs78
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time out from what must be must a hectic few weeks to write a review about your recent experience with us at Forest Holidays. I am delighted that your hen do was enjoyable and that you were pleased with your cabin. It sounds as if the hot tub was in demand! We are grateful for you feedback which will help us to continue to improve our offer. We offer our best wishes for your forthcoming wedding.
Leicestershire
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed a week at Deerpark and thoroughly loved the peace & tranquility. The hot tub was just wonderful in the evenings after a day of being out and about. The lodges are clean and well equipped The staff were very helpful and welcoming too so all in all it was a lovely holiday. Negatives - The lodges are a bit tired . We thought the towels were a bit expensive at £10 per person.. A mirror is needed on the wall between the downstairs bathroom & bedroom as there is an ideal plug socket for a hair dryer. Having said that we would have no hesitation in going back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank glenny17
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Deerpark. I am pleased to hear that you are feeling chilled and that you enjoyed your holiday. Your feedback will be discussed at our regular review meeting. With regard to the cabins, we are part way through a refurbishment programme at the moment which will mean that every cabin is brought to the same high standards.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in "Silver Birch" cabin #39 for a 3 night stay with a couple of friends in June 2014 (just got back).

Positives:
We paid extra to select cabin 39. It is very secluded; no one overlooks you and you can't even see another cabin from the decking / hot tub. This was important for us as we knew we were going to be louder than your average customer and using the hot tub til late.

Hot tub was excellent

Not overrun by staff keeping their eye on you. The only interaction we had with staff was when we arrived and when we checked out!

Very peaceful.

Cabin was clean

Negatives:
General state of the cabin is less than average. Where things were obviously once fitted and have since broken, instead of replacing it and making it good, it is bodged up. A couple of examples of this: the skirting boards in some places have been replaced but just left unpainted and not made good. There was obviously once a shelf over the sink; now there is a couple of poly filled patches where the fixings would have been. These patches haven't been sanded smooth or painted.

The TV has 5 grainy analogue channels (I didn't think analogue was even broadcast anymore!) And the tv remote was very tempormental and mostly had a mind of its own.

The DVD player was mostly unresponsive to user input.

The outside waste bin, unbeknown to us, hadn't been locked shut properly and on the second morning we opened our front door to find our waste sprawed across the porch (the work of the feral cats they warn you of in the hand book).

The showers leave a lot to be desired. The main downstairs shower head delivered water in pin head jets which made the shower experience feel like acupuncture. The head didn't adjust; I think it's the wrong head for that shower.

At night, you can hear the hot tub pump periodically turning on (nothing can really be done about that I guess, but it's an annoying droan).

Previous tenants had obviously emptied their bbq ashes over the edge of the decking and it had blown back and covered the decking in unsightly grey ash. Looks tatty and dirty.

We kept finding parts of the hot tub loose in the bottom of the tub. We found ourselves regularly fishing out jet covers and jet nozzles with thin metal shafts.

Absolutely NO mobile phone reception from the time you enter the site. This may be deemed a positive by some, but to people who need to be contactable even when on holiday; no matter which provider you are with, the site is in a valley and dense forest which makes the whole area a mobile black spot. Not really a complaint from me, but a consideration for those who need to be contactable.

In summary, all of the negatives listed above are avoidable and could easily be put right with a little TLC. It's not cheap for what you get, so instead of doing the bare minimum maintenance why can't it be done properly and the overall quality be maintained. These cabins were obviously in tip top shape once; there is no reason why they couldn't have stayed that way, but instead it seems a decision has been made to take a bare minimum low budget DIY approach...

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Luke C
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t feel your cabin was up to the standards that you had expected. We are grateful for all your feedback and those aspects where we can take action, we will. With regard to the cabins, we are invested heavily in a refurbishment programme which is ongoing and we would hope to exceed your expectations in the future.
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've visited here on 4 different occasions staying at all levels of cabin and cannot fault anything. We always leave so relaxed and chilled out. The hot tube outside in some of the cabins is amazing and it's so nice to sit outside in the evening with a glass of wine :)
The cabins are well equipped, clean, modern and have everything and more. Just wish it didn't cost £1000+ for 2 adults a week in May :(
I really can't fault this place at all and will be a bit sad that we are not making our annual trip to visit here this year but there's more of the UK to explore but we will be back with out a doubt

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Amanda_Clarke_FH, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your holidays at Deerpark. If you are exploring the UK don’t forget we have Forest Holiday locations in some of the most beautiful parts of the country. Wherever you are travelling, have fun, and we look forward to seeing you back at Deerpark in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our second visit to a forest cabin and I think our last. It's a lovely idea, and this is just my view but it was a bit disappointing this time. The setting is very picturesque and the cabins are as described, the beds are very comfy and there is a TV with limited channels and a dvd player. The kitchen is basically equipped so do bring your stock cupboard and containers.

It's a great base if you are touring around on a bike or a walking holiday, but for a luxury break it's not quite right. If you remove the hot tub, (great if you've been out walking all day) and the fluffy gowns and slippers, then it's just a basic log cabin in the middle of nowhere; remote enough to be cut off from roads, traffic noise pollution, mobile and Wi-Fi signals, but not remote enough to be away from neighbours, who look straight into your hot tub and balcony, (so we didn't use it), screaming children and various ducks and geese patrolling the very muddy pond banks.

The staff were very friendly and a minor issue with the key was dealt with immediately. Looking at the kind of cottages and apartments you can get for the same price if not less I think that is what we will do next time. it's really about what you are looking for, so if you want a luxury weekend away in the peace of the countryside, probably not for you, but if you want a base for an activity weekend or holiday with kids and animals then its perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank magpieok
Thank you for your review following your recent break at Deerpark. I am sorry to hear you didn’t find it as relaxing as you had hoped. Our locations are in unique settings on Forestry Commission land and that is a key part of the luxury – timeless, natural spaces that are hard to find in today’s busy world. I am pleased that you found the setting picturesque and the team at Deerpark friendly, even if the holiday was not quite as you had expected.
West Midlands
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband, and I have just returned from a week long stay at Deerpark and have had the most relaxing time!
The location is absolutely beautiful, lodges set in a wooded valley so very peaceful and picturesque. From the moment we arrived on the Monday afternoon to the moment we left on the Friday morning we had such a lovely time.
Morning were spent walking our border collie around the woods, days were spent out and about visiting the local towns and beaches of Looe, Polperro, Fowey, Talland Bay to name a few and evening were spent relaxing with a glass of wine in the hot tub!
We stayed in a silver birch cabin (#23) it's set out of the way from the other cabins so it's very private, it was very clean, modern and had a cosy log burner and a hot tub.
On our way to Deerpark we stopped off at a local supermarket to stock up on supplies so we cooked our own food so unfortunately didn't experience the food in the retreat however my husband said the coffee's there were amazing!
What was even more relaxing was that due to the location of Deerpark there is no mobile phone signal so a week of no calls, emails, internet was absolute bliss!
All of the staff we came into contact with were very professional and friendly, especially Mark who came and checked our hot tub daily; we got on so well with him we sat and had a cup of tea with him on our balcony and he drew us plans on how to construct decking at our new home...! Lovely guy and we've even took his email address so we can send him pictures of the finished product! Ha! That's going the extra mile for the customers if ever i've seen it!
Overall we had an incredibly relaxing stay and so much so I have booked another Forrest Holiday retreat at the Forest of Dean for my husbands birthday! However we will DEFINATELY return to Deerpark!

Room Tip: Lodge 23 is beautiful and is set away from most of the other lodges and has a log burner and hot tub...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent holiday at Deerpark. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed it so much. It sounds as if you made the most of the visiting the local area and exploring the woods with your dog. I hope that decking project is going well now you’re home! We look forward to seeing at Forest of Dean for your husband’s birthday.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liskeard
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
Piran Meadows Resort & Spa
Piran Meadows Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in White Cross
Pine Green Valley Caravan Park

Been to Forest Holidays Deerpark, Cornwall? Share your experiences!