“Sigur Ros trip”

Earl of Chatham Inn
Earl of Chatham Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Lostwithiel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My boyfriend and I headed to Cornwall for a concert at The Eden Project. We stayed at The Earl of Chatham for 3 nights from 28th June 2013. We had a fantastic time. Our room was clean and well presented, the staff were lovely and the food was great!! We mingled in with the locals at the pub and were treated to a right good time. Everyone was so friendly and we shared many laughs in the pub garden with some fantastic people. On our last morning we were a little hungover following a great night at the concert. Jackie was happy to let us keep our room until we were up to the drive home, even though check out should have been at 10am. Overall, this is a hostelry to be recommended and we will definately be back. Thanks to Jackie, her team and the lovely locals in Losthwithiel!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sharon h

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Had dinner here with a colleague.
Firstly we were greeted with zero enthusiasm and informed that all the restaurant tables were booked.
My starter, Brie wedges, was overcooked to the extent that 2 of the 3 were missing their filling. Surely the 'chef' noticed this - but served them anyway.
Main course of king prawns - overcooked and rubbery and served in a dish of water rather than garlic butter.
Finally the garlic bread was flabby not crisp so I guess it had been microwaved.

All served with complete indifference by the waitress. Didn't even bother to ask whether we were happy with our meals.

They claim home cooked food - I suspect freezer to microwave.

To be avoided - there is much better pub food in Lostwithiel for the same price - try the Globe or Oak.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank TykeTraveller1987
EarlofChatham L, Manager at Earl of Chatham Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

I am sorry this couple did not enjoy their meal. I would like to say that their comments about the food that evening could well be true on this odd occasion, as there was an emergency for the chef (me) that day and another member of staff filled in, but that is as far as this apology goes. You were fitted in the bar, as like you said all tables were booked, and therefore it was not a restaurant scenario. We were extremely busy that night so you did not get restaurant and personal service in the public bar. Quiz night was about to begin||| As for our food not being homecooked. How dare this person make that judgement on one meal that was not quite right. Our food is homecooked. I should know - I cook it.!! From pies, chillies, curries to lasanges everyone home cooked. Even our chips are not frozen. I painstakingly peel potatoes and chip them. To be truthful I feel really quite angry with the comments left by this person. I work very hard and on the whole we have a good reputation for our food and for this misinformed person to tell all and sundry our food is not home cooked and to avoid us is quite untrue and unforgiveable.

Signed by Jackie Truscott - For Earl of Chatham ( I give my name, I wonder if you can give yours)

Reviewed 30 August 2012

My young son & I stayed in the Earl of Chatham for 5 nights between the 23rd-28th August, we were met by a very friendly young lady called Kate who showed us to our room which was very clean & was perfect for our needs.
The friendly welcome we recieved put my 5 year old son at ease straight away, everyone we came into contact with whether it was at breakfast or during the day were very polite & very much interested in what we were doing during our stay.
A friend of ours stayed at the Earl of Chatham last year & recommended them to me & we wasn't disappointed, the staff, the pub, the food was all up to a high standard & there's no question where we will be staying next time we come to Lostwithiel.
Thank you Jackie, Kelly, Kate & everyone who made our first stay in Lostwithiel one to remember, look forward to seeing you all next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Elsie P
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My family & I were staying in St. Austel for the week & decided to try The Earl of Chatham on the Thursday evening whilst on our travels around the area. We were very glad that we did! We were pleasantly surprised to find such a warm, friendly pub with a lovely atmosphere. Our meal was absolutely fantastic. The lady behind the bar was friendly & helpful as was the waitress. We will definitely be back next year & would highly recommend The Earl of Chatham to anyone thinking of visiting the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lilysnow
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Came upon this pub by chance whilst heading for Leryn (beautiful spot by the river fowey). It is on the outskirts of Lostwithiel. We sat in the quite spacious beer garden and had lunch. We had the Jumbo Haddock and chips and peas and the Scampi chips and peas. They were not joking when they said Jumbo, the fish was hanging over the plate at both ends. It was delicious, cooked beautifully, still lovely and moist and the batter was superb. Large amount of scampi perfectly cooked. Chips were superb. Great pub food highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline P
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Earl of Chatham is situated on the edge of town. It has a large car park at the rear, a beer garden with a shelter for the smokers. On arrival we were made very welcome by Kate. The pub has a very rural look, a log fire burning in the grate and candles on the mantle shelf. It is a very clean and tidy pub with a decent size retaurant. We were shown to our ensuite room
where there was lovely white towels on the bed. The room had a homely feel and the bed was extremely comfortable.
We dined in the restaurant on both nights, the service was good, the food was well presented, and the menu had plenty of choice. I can recommend the steak and ale pie - large portions of home cooked food, thanks to Jackie. There are some good real ales very well kept and most enjoyable. Overall Jackie and Kate make you feel welcome and we will certainly go back there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My husband and I went on holiday to cornwall to follow in the footsteps of my ancestors. We are from New Zealand so were very keen to find a warm and welcome place to rejuvenate and get back to normal, after the long hours travelling. We were very happy with the warm welcome we received from Katie and Jackie. The rooms were very clean, with fresh towels, tea, coffee, TV etc. We ate in the restaurant and could not of been happier: there was a wide variety of meals to choose from with some excellent specials on offer. The portions were large and the food was very very tasty. As was the local beer which my husband was very fond of. The locals were interested in where we came from and wanted to help out with our adventure in finding the places my ancestors came from. After our meal we were able to relax next to a working fire which was sweet as! We got a very restful nights sleep which was needed. The breakfast again was very tasty, we had a lot of choice and could choose exactly what we wanted. We enjoyed are stay here so much that we decided to stay for one more night before heading further down into Cornwall. The landladies and the locals really made sure that we fitted in and made us feel more than welcome! A little gem we thought in the heart of Cornwall!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple