This is one of the many Best Western (oxy-moron) hotels I have stayed in recently which really do need updating. I appreciate they are billed as 'good value' and 'basic' but with the emergence of very competitive chains such as Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express these privately owned hotels need to consider the quality of what they offering to ensure they don't lose-out.
The Restormel Lodge is devoid of personality, both in terms of the fabric which is like stepping back into the 90's. Lumpy mattresses, pillows like old tyres and staff with no sense of customer service other than to bring you the things you ask for.
Food is OK to average, the toaster in the morning either gives you barely-toasted lines or if you put the bread in for a 2nd trip - cremation. I loathe these self-service toasters, a sign of lazy kitchen staff who should be able to produce a decent piece of toast as a bare minimum.
Evening meal highlights were microwaved lasagne with chips (yippee, double carbs!) and as we all know any self-respected Italian restaurant serves this combo.
Out-dated and in need of a good shake-up to bring it kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
There's a Premier Inn in Bodmin - 6 miles away. That would get my vote.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of the Fowey Valley, Lostwithiel has been recently classified as the most desirable place to live in the United Kingdom, Best Western Restormel Lodge Hotel offers modern comfort and traditional hospitality. Best Western Restormel Lodge Hotel is centrally situated on the A390 with many places of interest within Cornwall in easy reach. Eden Project is 6 miles away, Lost Gardens of Heligan is 12 miles and National Trust Lanhydrock House is only 3 miles. In addition to this, the hotel boasts a prime location in the peaceful town of Lostwithiel famous for antiques and the Duchy Palace (the oldest building in Cornwall), something much appreciated by the many guests who return year after year. The hotel has been modernised and is up to date with free WiFi throughout and all rooms have 32" flat screen televisions with freeview. The outdoor heated swimming pool is open from April to October and provides a refreshing start to the day. Pets are welcome within certain rooms on request only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your BEST WESTERN Fowey Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western The Restormel Hotel Lostwithiel
- Best Western Lostwithiel
- Lostwithiel Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Fowey Valley Lostwithiel, Cornwall