“Tough course, primative hotel”

Lostwithiel Hotel Golf & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lostwithiel
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Tough course, primative hotel”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The golf course here is extremely demanding. In fact, it's two courses in one: the front side is built along the side of a steep hill—the trick being to just keep the ball on the fairway; the back nine wanders through a flat river valley that is much more accommodating to shot-making.
While certainly challenging, the course is fair: the greens hold and run true for putting; and the course is well-maintained.
But there are no rental clubs (although the Pro may be able to put something together for you, as he did for me).
The hotel is something else. Rooms have been carved out of old stone farm outbuildings and are tiny, not air conditioned with minimal furnishings. Beds are prep-school sized (barely 3 ft. wide), the 'desk' is a tiny lady's dressing table, and the wardrobe has only hanging space. Carpeting is stained and threadbare and furniture is battered and old. Hot water is iffy in the shower (five of six uses were tepid or cold).
Advertised WiFi is only available in the reception area. Strong signal, but who wants to communicate in public.
The restaurant was only open for breakfast, although a fair menu was available from the bar on the first floor. Typical pub food was good and plentiful. Great bar with very good prices!
The grounds are picturesque and the views are magnificent in all direction.
The staff is cheerful and always willing to assist in any way.
For all of that I wouldn't stay for more than an overnight here, and then only to experience the golf.

Room Tip: Avoid rm. 1: it's up a steep narrow staircase.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff M
Rick W, Manager at Lostwithiel Hotel Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking time out in order to give us some valuable feedback after your stay at Lostwithiel Hotel & Golf Club.

The Head Green-keeper & his team will be pleased to know that you enjoyed playing the course as a huge amount of effort goes into getting it into such good condition, however, I am disappointed that you felt unable to bring up your room's shower temperature, during one of our many chats.

As yet air conditioning is not common place in the UK mainly due to our inclement climate but I recall I was able to make your room more comfortable on your first night stay after a quick visit to your room at your request.

You are right in saying Room 1 is upstairs and it should be avoided by anyone in poor health but over 60% of our our rooms are on the ground floor & in retrospect one of these may have suited you better.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food & beverages on offer (and the great prices) and I hope you enjoy the remainder of your holiday in England & flight home to the U.S.

All the best, Rick & the Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Lostwithel golf course with 11 other golfers,from the moment we turned up the staff could not be faulted and after 2 nights and 3 days they knew us all by our first names.
Rooms excellent with nice beds,food was great,we had both breakfast and evening meal all served with a smile and a laugh.The bar staff were fantastic and a great service even when they were very busy,
,the golf course was in great nick and the pro was very nice even to the point of going to get water when they ran out and bringing it on to the course for us.
Overall cannot fault the place and we will definitely be returning again
The Teignmouth Golf Bandits

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for taking time to use Trip Advisor to give us some valuable feedback.
The Head Green-keeper & his team will be happy to learn you enjoyed the course even though it can be demanding, however, I'm disappointed you felt you couldn't bring up the issue of the shower temperature with me during our many chats.
As yet air conditioning is not common place in the UK mainly due to our 'inclement climate' but I recall I was able to make your room more comfortable on your first night with us.
Room 1 is upstairs and as such is not ideal for someone in poor health but we do have many rooms on the ground floor (some specially adapted for disabled access) so in retrospect one of these may have been better for you.
I'm pleased you enjoyed the food & beverages on offer (and the great prices) & I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday in England and your flight home to South Carolina.
Rick
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I came down for the weekend and I had no complaints! Staff were friendly and helpful always had a smile upon their faces, Rick and his team made sure we were looked after. Food was lovely and arrived in good time! Would recommend this place to anyone! Defiantly coming again, going book some lessons with the pro next time to improve my swing though!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
pajmccarthy, Owner at Lostwithiel Hotel Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hi
Thank you for your kind words, the team endeavour to provide a warm welcome to our guests. I will pass on your feedback to all concerned and we all look forward to welcoming you to Lostwithiel in the near future.
Many Thanks

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Ideal location for stopover whilst on business in Cornwall. Value for money accommodation and the staff made me very welcome. It was good to be able to have a beer and a bite to eat in a friendly environment after a days work. Will certainly be visiting again and hope to manage a game of golf next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi
Many thanks for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, Rick and the team look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to Cornwall. Please ask for Nick our golf professional and he will be glad to show you around our beautiful golf course when you return to stay.
Thanks
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Must say we had a great weekend at this golf club & hotel last weekend.
The golf was fantastic, staff very friendly & the facilities just what we needed for a memorable weekend away. (Shame about the weather)
Definitely coming back in the summer!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hi
We are pleased that you had such a great time at our hotel. I would personally like to say thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I can assure you that I will pass it on to the team.
Lostwithiel Hotel and Golf club look forward to welcoming your party back in the summer.
Many Thanks

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

booked here for two nights, a little anniversary weekend break .what a last of money ,on arrival the entrance looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed for a week and we were told the restaurant was not available ,pity they didn't tell me that when I booked especial as its out of town and you would expect to be able to dine here. entering our room was a bit of a shock very sad and dated the bed linen was very washed out and faded and the pine furniture was battered and grimy ,broken light fittings,black mould in the shower ,the blinds were thick with old dust as was the skirting boards dead spiders on the sill and the valance had shoe polish marks on like a kitchen kick board so had obviously been on the bed a long time, the bedside lamps had dried tea
stains on them, the wind whistled through the window and you couldn't sleep as you could here everyone else snoring above you,.the basket containing tea bags,milk ect was disgusting thick greasey grime encrusted into the wicker should have been burnt years ago . didn't get any better at breakfast the first morning we had to wait half an hour for a full English and when it arrived it looked and tasted as if it had been cooked yesterday so I don't know what the delay was as there was only two other people in the break fast room next morning was much quicker and better cooked but then the coffee hadn't been put on so we had to wait for that to be perculated .I have never stayed anywhere like this and hope I never do again.this is one for the hotel inspecter on the good side staff were pleasant and it was,easy to park .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Many Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback of your visit to our Hotel.
I can assure you that I take all comments very seriously and will be fully investigating all the points you have raised with the relevant departments.
Please feel free to contact me directly via the hotel to discuss your experience in more detail.
Yours Sincerely

Paul McCarthy

Travellers are raving about these Lostwithiel hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

we had a lovely relaxing break nick was very efficient and we were made very welcome.as we w ere with friends we made great use of all the facilities .many thanks and we will definitely see you again.Rob,Wendy,Mike and Maria

Room Tip: we had an upstairs room in the dairy and would recommend it to anyone
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lostwithiel
Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,315 reviews
Boscundle Manor Hotel Restaurant and Spa

Been to Lostwithiel Hotel Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!