This is a gem of a hotel - beautiful modern design and spectacular sea view setting. It is perfect for access to the gorgeous North Cornwall coast path and Bedruthan Steps. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay (celebrating our silver wedding anniversary and walking the North Cornwall coast path) but certain aspects of the service did not quite measure up to the standards to be expect for the price, nor to those the hotel obviously aspires.
The staff are extremely helpful and friendly but at times the mistakes almost resembled Faulty Towers. For example:
(1) When we checked in a very competent receptionist met us, showed us around the hotel, explained how everything worked and then noted down in great detail our requests for a picnic lunch to take on a walk the next morning. Unfortunately the picnic order never made it to the kitchen, or got lost in the kitchen and so the picnic had not been made and we had to repeat the order over breakfast.
(2) On the Sunday morning we were the first to arrive for breakfast at precisely 8.00am - so that we could start our walk early. However, although we were the only ones in the restaurant, it took 23 minutes before coffee and tea arrived and another 5 minutes for some toast - both the tea and toast arrived after the cooked breakfast despite much chasing!
(3) When we ate dinner in the restaurant both the starter and main course selected by my wife were no longer available (probably because we were the last to dine at 9.00pm).
(4) Throughout the evening meal waiters were seen to be walking up and down the restaurant with plates of expensive and delicious food but with no idea which table they were for! This caused laughter several times amongst fellow diners.
(5) A vacuum cleaner was left outside our bedroom door for several hours.
(6) Used room service trays were not collected quickly enough so that the walk along the corridor from the bedroom to the dining-room became something of an obstacle course. It also detracted from the hotel's wonderful style!
The list goes on ....
These problems were minor irritations but they ought to be eliminated by management of a hotel such as this. Despite them we will return to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simply put, we are a beautiful 37 bedroom hotel built to the highest eco standards, boasting delicious locally sourced food and the best Ayurvedic inspired spa you can imagine.Discover an escape for grown-ups, to eat, dream and play in peace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Scarlet Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Scarlet Hotel Cornwall/Mawgan Porth