“Dog friendly luxury”

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here in May 2013 for my birthday with our beloved Labrador. I have to say, on occasion it's difficult to travel with your favorite canine friend without compromising somewhat on the luxury of hotel room (hotel choice, room quality, view, situation, etc). Often, we've booked 'dog friendly rooms' at other lovely hotels which always seem to be a little less luxurious or poorly situated and you feel momentarily bitter towards the unaware pooch. However, The Scarlett Hotel was nothing of the sort. It's really one of the few lovely, luxury hotels, where I feel like we got an amazing, relaxing, luxurious spa retreat with our beloved fido. No compromises. Pure luxurious relaxation.

I continue to be impressed with the eco-friendly vibe of the hotel, great friendly service, and attentive but laid back attitude of staff. The views from the hotel are absolutely fantastic - second to none. The restaurant/brekkie are great, right amount of variety (although could improve variety of veggie fare...all on menu was executed well). Spa massages were to die for...they actually felt therapeutic and restorative. Not to mention the gorgeous view.

There are plenty of activities just outside the hotel grounds, surf board/wetsuit hire, riding, cycle hire, coastal paths for miles, plenty of play time for doggies at the beach. Seriously, park the car and just relax.

We will definitely return next year.

ps) Dogs + food + hungry gulls on the patio at your own risk -or- for bemusement of fellow guests.
pps) Wine pairing is done very well in the restaurant, you're not driving after all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to write it and it was good to read your dog also enjoyed his luxury break and that all 3 of you will be back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A tranquil hotel for couples to retreat to for some R&R. Ayurvedic-focussed spa is a central pull for guests with a beautiful indoor pool and indoor/outdoor relaxation area. Helpful but not in-your-face service from the hotel staff who create a laid-back and top quality atmosphere. We saw couples of mixed ages, from baby-mooners to more mature couples, mother-daughter pairings and friends enjoying some grown-up time away, spa-ing and relaxing.
It is expensive - so to really relax you have to be comfortable enough with the price that it doesn't bother you during your stay! Especially if you want to indulge in spa treatments too, which you should.
It is a beautifully designed hotel, as many others here attest, and the art is beautiful. The dinner we had in the restaurant was great - creative menus, well executed - and the hotel service spot-on. The breakfast is a highlight - love that breakfast hours are until 10.30am - and the food sets you up for the day.
I would come back here in a shot.
I thought the restaurant service was a little patchy - slow to bring drinks and move our place settings/water-glasses when we moved outside for dessert, a couple of times plates went to incorrect tables...it could definitely be improved.

Things I would tell my friends about the stay:
1. The location isn't particularly remote - The hill above Mawgan Porth beach has many other buildings on it. For some reason I pictured the Scarlet to be all on its own, nice and remote...! On fine days the beach is busy. The hotel's location, up on the hill, means you can avoid the crowds but don't, like me, imagine you and your lover walking along a remote beach every day - unless you get up early for your stroll or are there off season.

2. There are remote beaches if you are prepared to hike north along the coastal path a little, though...remember to take your swimming costume.

3. I am a major consumer of hotel pools. This one is delightful, and I frequently had it to myself over the 3 days I was there in August. However - it's not as big as it looks in the photos. I know, no surprise...It is big enough to do some decent swimming but more than 3 people going up and down at the same time would make it crowded.

4. They replenish the in-room bottled water on a day-to-day basis as they service the room. I wish I'd asked for two bottles from day one. One is never enough for the two of us. By the end of my stay I'd got it right.

5. The seagulls are noisy. Do not be tempted to sleep with your doors open, even if it's hot. Their caw-ing will wake you up at 5am...

My one criticism - on my bill at check out I was charged daily for my newspaper and there was a GBP5 donation added that goes to the charities the hotel supports. At GBP400/night + it would have been sweeter to have the daily newspaper included and it's great to see them supporting local charities but that's their personal choice, not mine, and the GBP5 should come out of their takings, not be added on top of the bill. I liked the information they put out in the lounge about the charities they support and I'm glad to support their business because that's one of their policies -but extras like that do not need to be charged on top of an expensive room rate...

I hope I can get back to the Scarlet and I wish I knew of more places like it in other locations...it's a great place to stay and is a destination on its own.

1  Thank comefrywithme

Wow! Thank you for your amazing review - it was great to read how much you enjoyed all the areas of The Scarlet, and especially the Spa. Hopefully you can come back, maybe on a 3 or 4 night spa break?

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our first visit to the Scarlet, staff all very helpful, friendly and professional.
I thought it looked amazing, we loved the outdoor reed pool, very refreshing.
Food tends to be rich, smaller portions, my food was cold the first night, I didn't want to make a fuss as we were eating with friends.
Room excellent, although the floor was dirty quickly & not cleaned.
I liked the soap & toiletries, small sizes, I had to phone for more.
View fantastic, short walk to beach & stunning walks along the coast.
Lunch menu limited however the sandwiches were fresh, tasty and generous portions.
Wine, drinks can be pricey. We had tea in our room each morning with a paper which was a gentle way to wake up.
I had a spa treatment which was good, I was settled into the deep relaxation room, however someone switched off the relaxation tape. I came out and couldn't see any staff, so went back to my bedroom! I would have liked to thank my therapist in person.
I liked the paintings & sculptures dotted around the hotel, decor so different and not too much in your face.
We never left the hotel as the weather was glorious and we just wanted to relax and chill.
I would return & would recommend the Scarlet.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower areas have direct access to garden, we stayed in 31, I would request it again.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing such and kind and detailed review of your peaceful holiday here, and it was good to read you are coming back to stay again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Wow! What a perfect place to stay. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you but not in a sleazy kind of way!! The hot tub was perfect looking over the beach and the pool was beautiful. When we went nobody was in it so it felt like it was your own!! The service was so quick-within 5 minutes the drinks were in your room! The anytime anywhere food menu was good-we had the sandwiches which were lovely. The room was gorgeous and the balcony had a great view with comfy seats. A fantastic place and we can't wait to come again!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Oh Congratulations on your 10th Wedding anniversary and it was good to read that everyone here made the day as special as possible.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

There was absolutely nothing we could fault. Location, rooms, staff and amenities were excellent. Better service that some of the top 5* hotels in London. We have already re-booked for 2014, but winter time this time. Want to see the log fire roaring in the cosy sitting room whilst playing pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay here, and I agree with you, the crackling log fire and watching a storm brewing out at sea, is great to experience here too!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed three nights in a "just right" room with direct access to the gardens, which was beautiful. With the styling, nice outside seating for breakfast and dinner, good quality, nice pools, massage etc, this is a perfect place for a couple to relax. I read the more negative reviews and can understand some of them (wine arrived too late, service forgot part of our breakfast etc.), but the positive outweighs the negative by far.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hugo72
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you so much for writing about the great times you had here when you stayed recently and we hope you can make it back to stay again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just sublime!

So much space throughout and fantastic decor, especially the art works which are everywhere.

All of the staff were genuinely friendly (rather than the faux friendly “have a nice day!”), they seemed really interested and were so willing to please, offering help before it was even asked for!

The whole attitude to food was enlightening and refreshing (and not just in taste!). Go for the recommended choice of wine with the food, a real experience.

So many different areas to enjoy, both in terms of ambience, feeling and relaxation
A splendid place to chill out and just be.

Clelary a lot of thought has gone into everything, it shows and it works.

Will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your Wow review! it was really good to read it out to the teams and they hope you can come back again when life allows!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#1 of 5 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!