“Great expectations, slightly disappointed”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Having stayed at the Scarlets sister hotel (The Bedruthan Steps Hotel) both my girlfriend and I had high hopes when visiting the Scarlet for our one night break in August 2013. Listed below is what we found good about the hotel followed by our disappointments. The score that we would have liked to of given is three and a half out of five but as this was not an option we have chosen to give a three as opposed to a four out of five as per our comments below.

.....+.....

- Very clean and luxurious. Everywhere is spotless
- Excellent location with stunning sea views and a short walk to the beach
- Evening meal in the restaurant was superb
- Room was very clean with a fantastic comfortable bed. Balcony was lovely
- Outdoor pool was unique and one of a kind. Best I have ever swam in
- Lots of relaxing areas - complimentary tea and coffee anywhere in the hotel. Coffee is of excellent quality
- Changing facilities in the spa are outstanding - private changing areas equipped with showers. Secure lockers with changeable pin codes
- Restaurant staff were superb

.....-.....

- From the moment we arrived both my girlfriend and I felt uncomfortable by the way the parking and 'booking in' process went. As soon as we had parked up in a nice single space right at the front of the hotel, we were asked to move the car to another space so that an expensive BMW 5 series could be parked in ours. Our Vauxhall was then going to be double parked at the rear of the hotel as opposed to the BMW. This made absolutely no sense whatsoever and when I pointed this out to the parking assistant and asked if this was to do with the fact that we didn't have a BMW, it was suddenly 'all change' and our car remained where we had parked it?
Although we arrived half an hour early we had to wait over 30 minutes to check in and had to chase it up on one occasion as we were just sat waiting and it felt like we had been forgotten about. I wanted to carry our own bags in from the car as both my girlfriend and I had been staying somewhere else in Cornwall the previous week and the bags were in a bit of a mess. When I explained this to the parking assistant he was adamant that he would take them in himself. This meant that we had to sort all our bags out quickly and on the spot with the assistant stood behind us whilst we were doing so.
- There was neither a jacuzzi or Sauna in the otherwise excellent Spa
- Breakfast format was not to our tastes. The menu was set out as three courses like an evening meal. We would have preferred a buffet
- As previously stated the rooms were lovely but the layout was definitely not to our taste. Having the toilet as part of the main room means that every sound made in the toilet can be clearly heard in the main part of the room. Not exactly ideal when you are trying to have a romantic night away
- The hot tubs were lovely but I think charging £15.00 for half hour is excessive when you are already paying £350.00 for the night and evening meal
- Morning newspaper should be included due to the price of the room
- The £5.00 charity donation that is automatically added to the bill is both disgusting and insulting. I am fully aware that a lot of the Scarlets clientel will have extensive disposable income but this is not the case for everyone. My girlfriend and I had to save for a number of months to be able to visit the hotel for a one night break and it was difficult. I don't expect to have the donation added to the bill but feel that if the Scarlet are keen to support local charities they can always subtract it from the bill for our one nights stay which totalled well over £400.00.

In the future we will choose the Bedruthan Steps hotel in preference to the Scarlet on every occasion. The Bedruthan Steps is our favourite hotel and this is why we thought we would try a break at the Scarlet. It is not that we didn't enjoy our break at the Scarlet but unfortunately it did not meet our expectations for the amount of money that we paid.

3  Thank Jimbofire
Alison B, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us, and I have passed on your comments to the teams, as we are always trying to improve and grow.

There are newer reviews for The Scarlet Hotel

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband booked The Scarlet as a birthday treat for me. It was the best birthday I've ever had.

We arrived on my actual birthday to glorious sunshine, a gorgeous room overlooking the sea and the meal in the evening was just delicious.

The staff are fantastic, friendly and helpful and always smiling - they clearly love where they work and it shows.

I couldn't fault The Scarlet at all. We absolutely loved every minute of our stay and have never felt so relaxed on a holiday before.

We have been to some gorgeous places in the world but we never have gone back to the same place twice however amazing it's been as we always like to try different places. However, The Scarlet had just something about it that we couldn't wait to go back and we ended up booking for New Year whilst we were there.

We are already counting the days until we are next there !

Thank you to everyone for making my birthday and our stay so special and we look forward to seeing you all again in a few months

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

So glad you enjoyed your birthday treat here, and that you are coming to spend New Year with us, we look forward to seeing then.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here in May 2013 for my birthday with our beloved Labrador. I have to say, on occasion it's difficult to travel with your favorite canine friend without compromising somewhat on the luxury of hotel room (hotel choice, room quality, view, situation, etc). Often, we've booked 'dog friendly rooms' at other lovely hotels which always seem to be a little less luxurious or poorly situated and you feel momentarily bitter towards the unaware pooch. However, The Scarlett Hotel was nothing of the sort. It's really one of the few lovely, luxury hotels, where I feel like we got an amazing, relaxing, luxurious spa retreat with our beloved fido. No compromises. Pure luxurious relaxation.

I continue to be impressed with the eco-friendly vibe of the hotel, great friendly service, and attentive but laid back attitude of staff. The views from the hotel are absolutely fantastic - second to none. The restaurant/brekkie are great, right amount of variety (although could improve variety of veggie fare...all on menu was executed well). Spa massages were to die for...they actually felt therapeutic and restorative. Not to mention the gorgeous view.

There are plenty of activities just outside the hotel grounds, surf board/wetsuit hire, riding, cycle hire, coastal paths for miles, plenty of play time for doggies at the beach. Seriously, park the car and just relax.

We will definitely return next year.

ps) Dogs + food + hungry gulls on the patio at your own risk -or- for bemusement of fellow guests.
pps) Wine pairing is done very well in the restaurant, you're not driving after all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to write it and it was good to read your dog also enjoyed his luxury break and that all 3 of you will be back!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A tranquil hotel for couples to retreat to for some R&R. Ayurvedic-focussed spa is a central pull for guests with a beautiful indoor pool and indoor/outdoor relaxation area. Helpful but not in-your-face service from the hotel staff who create a laid-back and top quality atmosphere. We saw couples of mixed ages, from baby-mooners to more mature couples, mother-daughter pairings and friends enjoying some grown-up time away, spa-ing and relaxing.
It is expensive - so to really relax you have to be comfortable enough with the price that it doesn't bother you during your stay! Especially if you want to indulge in spa treatments too, which you should.
It is a beautifully designed hotel, as many others here attest, and the art is beautiful. The dinner we had in the restaurant was great - creative menus, well executed - and the hotel service spot-on. The breakfast is a highlight - love that breakfast hours are until 10.30am - and the food sets you up for the day.
I would come back here in a shot.
I thought the restaurant service was a little patchy - slow to bring drinks and move our place settings/water-glasses when we moved outside for dessert, a couple of times plates went to incorrect tables...it could definitely be improved.

Things I would tell my friends about the stay:
1. The location isn't particularly remote - The hill above Mawgan Porth beach has many other buildings on it. For some reason I pictured the Scarlet to be all on its own, nice and remote...! On fine days the beach is busy. The hotel's location, up on the hill, means you can avoid the crowds but don't, like me, imagine you and your lover walking along a remote beach every day - unless you get up early for your stroll or are there off season.

2. There are remote beaches if you are prepared to hike north along the coastal path a little, though...remember to take your swimming costume.

3. I am a major consumer of hotel pools. This one is delightful, and I frequently had it to myself over the 3 days I was there in August. However - it's not as big as it looks in the photos. I know, no surprise...It is big enough to do some decent swimming but more than 3 people going up and down at the same time would make it crowded.

4. They replenish the in-room bottled water on a day-to-day basis as they service the room. I wish I'd asked for two bottles from day one. One is never enough for the two of us. By the end of my stay I'd got it right.

5. The seagulls are noisy. Do not be tempted to sleep with your doors open, even if it's hot. Their caw-ing will wake you up at 5am...

My one criticism - on my bill at check out I was charged daily for my newspaper and there was a GBP5 donation added that goes to the charities the hotel supports. At GBP400/night + it would have been sweeter to have the daily newspaper included and it's great to see them supporting local charities but that's their personal choice, not mine, and the GBP5 should come out of their takings, not be added on top of the bill. I liked the information they put out in the lounge about the charities they support and I'm glad to support their business because that's one of their policies -but extras like that do not need to be charged on top of an expensive room rate...

I hope I can get back to the Scarlet and I wish I knew of more places like it in other locations...it's a great place to stay and is a destination on its own.

1  Thank comefrywithme

Wow! Thank you for your amazing review - it was great to read how much you enjoyed all the areas of The Scarlet, and especially the Spa. Hopefully you can come back, maybe on a 3 or 4 night spa break?

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our first visit to the Scarlet, staff all very helpful, friendly and professional.
I thought it looked amazing, we loved the outdoor reed pool, very refreshing.
Food tends to be rich, smaller portions, my food was cold the first night, I didn't want to make a fuss as we were eating with friends.
Room excellent, although the floor was dirty quickly & not cleaned.
I liked the soap & toiletries, small sizes, I had to phone for more.
View fantastic, short walk to beach & stunning walks along the coast.
Lunch menu limited however the sandwiches were fresh, tasty and generous portions.
Wine, drinks can be pricey. We had tea in our room each morning with a paper which was a gentle way to wake up.
I had a spa treatment which was good, I was settled into the deep relaxation room, however someone switched off the relaxation tape. I came out and couldn't see any staff, so went back to my bedroom! I would have liked to thank my therapist in person.
I liked the paintings & sculptures dotted around the hotel, decor so different and not too much in your face.
We never left the hotel as the weather was glorious and we just wanted to relax and chill.
I would return & would recommend the Scarlet.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower areas have direct access to garden, we stayed in 31, I would request it again.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing such and kind and detailed review of your peaceful holiday here, and it was good to read you are coming back to stay again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Wow! What a perfect place to stay. The staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you but not in a sleazy kind of way!! The hot tub was perfect looking over the beach and the pool was beautiful. When we went nobody was in it so it felt like it was your own!! The service was so quick-within 5 minutes the drinks were in your room! The anytime anywhere food menu was good-we had the sandwiches which were lovely. The room was gorgeous and the balcony had a great view with comfy seats. A fantastic place and we can't wait to come again!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Oh Congratulations on your 10th Wedding anniversary and it was good to read that everyone here made the day as special as possible.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

There was absolutely nothing we could fault. Location, rooms, staff and amenities were excellent. Better service that some of the top 5* hotels in London. We have already re-booked for 2014, but winter time this time. Want to see the log fire roaring in the cosy sitting room whilst playing pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay here, and I agree with you, the crackling log fire and watching a storm brewing out at sea, is great to experience here too!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 9 in St Austell
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!