“Perfect Hotel, Perfect Soundtrack”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Scarlet Hotel

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Perfect Hotel, Perfect Soundtrack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our first visit and what a fantastic couple of days, with the added benefit of late March sun, there was nothing to do on the second day but stay at the hotel and enjoy the spa and watching the over ambitious trying to get in the 8 degree outdoor natural pool. We were assured it does get warmer. We loved the efficient, friendly, but not over zealous (The downfall of many high end hotel) staff. We loved the "no reception" and the "take a seat anywhere and someone will be with you" ethos.
I run a music website and I was struck by the choice of music. The choices were well considered for each time of day and were perfectly pitched for the ambiance. This did create a dilemma for the staff on the second night. We sat down for dinner with some lovely smokey jazz creating a buzz and we had already commented on how great it was that the music was at a listenable level, not killing conversation and not an annoying tick tick in the back ground.
There was an awkward incident where a diner asked for the music to be turned right down to a level so low that it may as well have been turned off but it was dealt with well by the staff on duty and as the diner had a medical condition which was made worse by loud music I really don't know what else they could do but it did completely change the ambiance and buzz around the restaurant for our special occasion.
The food was fantastic with breakfast being lovely both days, Our dinner was great but was slightly less hot than desirable but this is a minor criticism.
We spent the two days walking around with blissful grins on our faces and whole experience was so fantastic that we will be back very, very,very soon. In fact I am finding it impossible to actually put into words how good The Scarlet is !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to tell others your thoughts regarding your stay with us, and I'm so glad that you found the experience fantastic (especially given the fact that it was such a special birthday!).

Apologies, once again, with regards to the music being lowered. It was a very unusual circumstance for us. Sebastien explained to me how much you had been enjoying the jazz (it is wonderful at dinner and drinks, I agree). Thank you ever so much for your empathy and understanding that evening. I know that both the team here and our guest (using her time here to convalesce after an operation) really appreciated it. I was hoping to come and have a chat to you and thank you in person, but unfortunately you'd left by the time that I arrived yesterday. If you do have the time for a quick chat (it's also always lovely to get any feedback about our play list from a music buff) I would be ever so grateful. If you could spare a few moments, please email me at erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk.

I'm so glad to here that you're coming back to us (very, very soon...) and look forward to welcoming you again (please do drop me a line so I can ensure that I'm free to say hello next time you're here.)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We returned to The Scarlet for a two night break and some relaxation. It is a great place in a fantastic location - the cliff top hot tub being a must. We stayed bed, breakfast and evening meal in a 'just right' room. I had two treatments in the spa and my husband had one. We had a hot tub session, a cream tea and a few drinks before dinner, as well as two spa products. The bill was over £900. We don't begrudge paying this as it is an amazing place - just make sure your purse or wallet is full before you go as it's easy to get carried away. I would strongly recommend the hammam in the spa!

Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
It's lovely to hear that you had a lovely, relaxing stay with us, and I'm so glad that you tried the Hammam - I don't think one has truly experienced relaxation until they've laid on that wonderful heated bed, it just absolutely makes aches, pains and worries just melt away!

We do understand that it's often easy to get a little carried away on holiday, too, so we've designed some gorgeous bespoke packages with, for example, spa treatments included, dinner and/or lunch included, and even changing activities such as visiting our much loved friends at Tregothnan Tea Estate. We've even thought of the perfect fizz to hand you as you climb in the hot tub - we try to ensure that no detail us! We hope that this will help every guest get the ultimate experience special to them, at the best possible price. Packages are always changing and evolving here, so it's always something that is worth calling our lovely team on reservations about, and they will be more than happy to chat through what you're hoping to get from your stay, and advise accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your time here, and we do hope that you'll be visiting us again very soon!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed 6 nights at this hotel as they offer a great detox program with " 38 degrees North". As I arrived a day early I got to taste the excellent cuisine the kitchen offers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The spa is marvelous and so are the treatments and all the different spots to relax and enjoy. A meditation room with an Ipad for guided meditations, a deep relaxation room with headphones for just a relax with some nice music. I had no idea there was so much to do in the environment and besides great yoga classes and beautiful walks, the cycling was also very nice. A very interesting "usp" is that you may "borrow" the hoteldog Jasper to go for a walk, I think I liked it more than he did but it is a unique offering from this hotel which shows how they really make an effort to make you feel at home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Noëlle H
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
I'm so glad that you had a great time with us. It was perfect that we recieved this yesterday as James from 38 Degrees North was with us, so we could share this with him (he says hello, by the way, and he is also very grateful that you took the time to tell others about your experience here).

It sounds like you really made the most of our local area which is lovely to hear. Our beach was actually voted one of the best in the country by The Times, and our local coastal walks along the rugged cliffs are also a real treat, which is why we are so very keen to provide as many different ways for our guests to enjoy it as possible, be it bikes, surfboards, binoculars, maps, wellies and, yes, even our very own Jasper!

Our coastline changes so much depending on the seasons, so I really do hope that you'll come back to experience it once more and that we will be welcoming you again (either detoxing or really making the mist of our gorgeous seasonal kitchen) very soon in the near future.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We first came here 3 years ago when my husband proposed and it was exceptional then we got married last year and our friends got us a voucher so we thought we would use it for our 1st wedding anniversary, the scarlet is a very peaceful Place where u can switch off and just unwind and both times we have visited we have really enjoyed ourselves. Dinner and breakfast was lovely, Thank you to all the staff and chefs for making our stay fantastic and we look forward to seeing you again!

Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
We absolutely love stories like this, so thank you ever so much for sharing it. How absolutely perfect to spend your anniversary in the same place that you got engaged? I am so glad that you enjoyed yet another stay here, and it's lovely that we are a part of your journey together! Congratulations and best wishes to you both and I do hope that we will be welcoming you back for many more milestone celebrations in the future.
Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This weekend was our 20th anniversary and we took a long time choosing where to go (Paris, The Ritz etc) but I choose this hotel from the Mr & Mrs Smith website - and I was so glad about my choice! Pre our visit I had 2 phone calls to check details, special requests and to book our inclusive hot tub (Mr & Mrs Smith special treat) - we arrived to valet parking and a lovely greeting from Ruth. We were taken to our room via a quick tour of the hotel & a welcoming tea & coffee in our room. We had room 18 which had a private garden & a beautiful relaxation area upstairs overlooking the sea. So many things made this hotel special, the architecture, free local tea and coffee, lots of space, lots of staff and that the hotel told a story about its ethos (local produce & sustainability) and completely lived up to it.

My husband & i had the rhassouel (amazing & good fun), & he also had a herbal poultice massage which eased his sore shoulder. We also used the relaxation room, hanging nap pods, indoor pool and sauna - and at the end of all this indulgence we had cocktails in the hot tub watching the sunset. Then when we got back to our room we had been given a free poultice to take home & use!

Honestly didn't want to leave and I would say this was the best hotel experience we have ever had - we will definitely be back! Thank you for making our anniversary very special.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique but having the upstairs turret was great to watch the sea
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gilfoys
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a kind review and, once again, congratulations to you both with regards to your anniversary, and I am so, so glad that we lived up to your expectations and helped make your celebration as wonderful and as special as you both deserved (especially given the fact that you chose us over the acclaimed 'City of Love' - high accolade, indeed!)

It sounds like you really made the most of your time with us (so glad that you tried our rhassoul). Our couple's treatments are such an intimate, indulgent and memorable way to spend time together, and for that reason we have worked hard to expand our offering even further to include something new and exciting which is marvelously romantic and remarkably 'Scarlet' ... More news coming very, very soon!

I will really enjoy reading your experience to the teams both in the hotel and spa tomorrow (if you would like any refreshers regarding using the poultice, do not hesitate to give us a call). It was our pleasure to be a part of such a special occasion for you both, and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I am sure that many have expierienced the delights of this hotel, lovely staff, attentitive without being over bearing. Sometimes when things are so perfect, it becomes easy to criticise things that are then a little out of kilter. Breakfast was slow and perfect one day and greasy the next. Dinner was good but not great, plates were cold which meant the food cooled down too quickly. So close to perfection.....

Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to feed back regarding your experience with us. It's heartening to hear that you found us 'perfection personified' and I'm grateful to you for drawing my attention to the things 'a little out of kilter' which added the 'almost' to the otherwise 'perfect'. With this in mind, and as we strive to not only meet the highest expectations of every guest but do so consistently (every guest every day) I would really welcome the chance to chat regarding your experience so that I can fully understand how we got it wrong during your time with us, so we can ensure that it doesn't happen again. If you could contact me on erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk I would be eternally grateful. Thank you, also, for the kind words with regards to our team being lovely and attentive here. I will enjoy feeding this back to them all in tomorrow's meeting!
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Great staff, amazing architecture and fine dining. My boyfriend and I had a romantic getaway for 3 nights and we could not have asked for anything better. We really enjoyed the sustainability theme that featured throughout the whole hotel. This is the perfect place to relax with a book and look out over the stunning cornish coast line. The staff were really attentive, genuine and happy to deliver endless pots of tea to our room while we kicked back and relaxed. Our mornings would start with a peaceful swim in the pool followed by a delicious 3 course breakfast. We also thoroughly enjoyed the walking the hotel dog, Jasper! Highlight of our stay has to be the stormy sunset hot tub -we would highly recommend this whatever the weather. Thank you Scarlet, we are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
It is absolutely wonderful to hear that you had a relaxing getaway with us, and I'm so glad that you're already planning your next visit. It sounds like you really made the most of your time with us (even down to the freshly brewed tea. Our special house blend from Tregothnan, the only plantation in the UK, is something we are very proud and passionate about, which is why we really are happy to ensure it's perfectly brewed and delivered 24 hours a day (believe me, for every guest that we brew a pot for, we brew possibly two for me. There's no such thing as too much tea!)

Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely comments, which I will enjoy reading out to the teams. Hopefully see you again very soon... The hot tub and fizz will be waiting!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#1 of 6 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!