“Wonderful Chill Out Retreat”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Our yearly stay at the Scarlet was as fabulous as ever. In fact small improvements have been made in every aspect of the hotel and its amenities, all of which we noticed and appreciated. The staff are friendly and professional, the food was delicious, much better than last year and even better than Fifteen Cornwall which we visited on our stay. The rooms are first class and always appear in tip top condition. The spa was divine as always.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you ever so much for sharing your experience with others, and I am so pleased that we are continuing to surprise and impress you! We're constantly listening to feedback and trying to evolve, so it's lovely to see that you felt the benefit of some of the little changes over the year... And, on that note, if you do think of anything that will make your next stay even better, I would be very grateful if you could call or email me to let me know.

I will really enjoy passing on your feedback with regards to the kitchen. I feel that our head chef Tom and his fantastic team are really the kitchen from strength to strength and the menu just keeps getting even tastier and more exciting as the seasons go on (I've had to recently take up cliff top running, because it was that or avoiding the kitchen altogether... The kitchen won hands down!).

Thank you once again for your kind comments. I'm really glad that you had such a wonderful, chilled out time with us and look forward to welcoming you back for your next annual visit (if not sooner...)

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I've stayed at the Scarlet once before. I had a great room, really large on the garden level, with direct access to the cliff top. I'd had a lovely stay. This time I went with my dog. I'd booked a just right room, the cheapest. I thought because I'd brought my dog, I'd perhaps be given a garden room as these must be the most convenient for dog owners. I was a little disappointed when the room I got was the smallest, cheapest room, despite being a returning guest. Disappointment really set in when we realised that there would be constant noise of footsteps on the floating wooden staircase beside, above and below the room, in addition to the stomping of the guests on their wooden floor in room above. The room had also not had a proper thorough clean, as my dog could smell previous dogs that had stayed in the room and he therefore became difficult to settle throughout the stay. For a hotel that charges £200 a night and then £15 a night extra for dogs, this is not great. What is great about The Scarlet are the hot tubs, the excellent breakfasts and lovely staff. However, its eco friendliness seems to be at odds with providing guests a luxurious stay, given that the design of the hotel and use of only natural materials in its construction leads to a noisy, expensive experience!

2  Thank Ian G
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of the Scarlet. I appreciate all feedback and will use yours to investigate what went wrong as the standards you experienced (as I am sure you appreciate having previously stayed with us) were absolutely not the norm, and I am left saddened having read how we left you feeling. I would really welcome the opportunity to have a chat in order to understand your journey with us, from booking the room right through to check out, fully so that I can learn from this and take it back to the teams. If you could contact me at erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk with a contact number and convenient time to call I would be ever so grateful.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

A stay at The Scarlet is a must if you want a luxurious but unpretentious ambience. The staff are friendly and so efficient, nothing is too much effort. We stayed in a Just Right room and it was, with fantastic views of the Atlantic from the bed! A welcome tray of tea arrived at 7.30 each morning, as requested, along with the newspaper. Breakfast was a three course affair, negating the need to eat at lunch time. Dinner was delicious and the great bonus was that the menu changed daily so each evening was a new experience. The pool and spa offers the opportunity for additional relaxation. A hot tub session, plus a glass of bubbly while the sun sets was very special. The coastal path is accessible from the hotel, so once we had parked the car we didn't move it for two days. No phone reception, but who cares, it was all part of the get away from it all. There is wi-fi if you must. We didn't see the TV for 3 days and it wasn't missed either. What more is there to say...it was complete perfection.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

From your very descriptive review, it really sounds like you possibly left with your shoulders feeling much lighter - I am so pleased that you have had such a relaxing break away from the daily grind with us! I'm so glad that you also really enjoyed our breakfast and dinner menus here... the kitchen puts a lot of heart and soul into working with the freshest, most seasonal produce to create new and exciting dishes every day, so it's always a treat to see what's in store... The daily dessert menu is always my own personal battle! Thank you ever so much for taking the time to tell others about your tranquil experience here, and we hope that we'll be welcoming you back soon (with some more bubbly on ice at the hot tub, ready!)

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our first visit and what a fantastic couple of days, with the added benefit of late March sun, there was nothing to do on the second day but stay at the hotel and enjoy the spa and watching the over ambitious trying to get in the 8 degree outdoor natural pool. We were assured it does get warmer. We loved the efficient, friendly, but not over zealous (The downfall of many high end hotel) staff. We loved the "no reception" and the "take a seat anywhere and someone will be with you" ethos.
I run a music website and I was struck by the choice of music. The choices were well considered for each time of day and were perfectly pitched for the ambiance. This did create a dilemma for the staff on the second night. We sat down for dinner with some lovely smokey jazz creating a buzz and we had already commented on how great it was that the music was at a listenable level, not killing conversation and not an annoying tick tick in the back ground.
There was an awkward incident where a diner asked for the music to be turned right down to a level so low that it may as well have been turned off but it was dealt with well by the staff on duty and as the diner had a medical condition which was made worse by loud music I really don't know what else they could do but it did completely change the ambiance and buzz around the restaurant for our special occasion.
The food was fantastic with breakfast being lovely both days, Our dinner was great but was slightly less hot than desirable but this is a minor criticism.
We spent the two days walking around with blissful grins on our faces and whole experience was so fantastic that we will be back very, very,very soon. In fact I am finding it impossible to actually put into words how good The Scarlet is !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to tell others your thoughts regarding your stay with us, and I'm so glad that you found the experience fantastic (especially given the fact that it was such a special birthday!).

Apologies, once again, with regards to the music being lowered. It was a very unusual circumstance for us. Sebastien explained to me how much you had been enjoying the jazz (it is wonderful at dinner and drinks, I agree). Thank you ever so much for your empathy and understanding that evening. I know that both the team here and our guest (using her time here to convalesce after an operation) really appreciated it. I was hoping to come and have a chat to you and thank you in person, but unfortunately you'd left by the time that I arrived yesterday. If you do have the time for a quick chat (it's also always lovely to get any feedback about our play list from a music buff) I would be ever so grateful. If you could spare a few moments, please email me at erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk.

I'm so glad to here that you're coming back to us (very, very soon...) and look forward to welcoming you again (please do drop me a line so I can ensure that I'm free to say hello next time you're here.)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We returned to The Scarlet for a two night break and some relaxation. It is a great place in a fantastic location - the cliff top hot tub being a must. We stayed bed, breakfast and evening meal in a 'just right' room. I had two treatments in the spa and my husband had one. We had a hot tub session, a cream tea and a few drinks before dinner, as well as two spa products. The bill was over £900. We don't begrudge paying this as it is an amazing place - just make sure your purse or wallet is full before you go as it's easy to get carried away. I would strongly recommend the hammam in the spa!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

It's lovely to hear that you had a lovely, relaxing stay with us, and I'm so glad that you tried the Hammam - I don't think one has truly experienced relaxation until they've laid on that wonderful heated bed, it just absolutely makes aches, pains and worries just melt away!

We do understand that it's often easy to get a little carried away on holiday, too, so we've designed some gorgeous bespoke packages with, for example, spa treatments included, dinner and/or lunch included, and even changing activities such as visiting our much loved friends at Tregothnan Tea Estate. We've even thought of the perfect fizz to hand you as you climb in the hot tub - we try to ensure that no detail us! We hope that this will help every guest get the ultimate experience special to them, at the best possible price. Packages are always changing and evolving here, so it's always something that is worth calling our lovely team on reservations about, and they will be more than happy to chat through what you're hoping to get from your stay, and advise accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your time here, and we do hope that you'll be visiting us again very soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed 6 nights at this hotel as they offer a great detox program with " 38 degrees North". As I arrived a day early I got to taste the excellent cuisine the kitchen offers. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The spa is marvelous and so are the treatments and all the different spots to relax and enjoy. A meditation room with an Ipad for guided meditations, a deep relaxation room with headphones for just a relax with some nice music. I had no idea there was so much to do in the environment and besides great yoga classes and beautiful walks, the cycling was also very nice. A very interesting "usp" is that you may "borrow" the hoteldog Jasper to go for a walk, I think I liked it more than he did but it is a unique offering from this hotel which shows how they really make an effort to make you feel at home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Noëlle H

I'm so glad that you had a great time with us. It was perfect that we recieved this yesterday as James from 38 Degrees North was with us, so we could share this with him (he says hello, by the way, and he is also very grateful that you took the time to tell others about your experience here).

It sounds like you really made the most of our local area which is lovely to hear. Our beach was actually voted one of the best in the country by The Times, and our local coastal walks along the rugged cliffs are also a real treat, which is why we are so very keen to provide as many different ways for our guests to enjoy it as possible, be it bikes, surfboards, binoculars, maps, wellies and, yes, even our very own Jasper!

Our coastline changes so much depending on the seasons, so I really do hope that you'll come back to experience it once more and that we will be welcoming you again (either detoxing or really making the mist of our gorgeous seasonal kitchen) very soon in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We first came here 3 years ago when my husband proposed and it was exceptional then we got married last year and our friends got us a voucher so we thought we would use it for our 1st wedding anniversary, the scarlet is a very peaceful Place where u can switch off and just unwind and both times we have visited we have really enjoyed ourselves. Dinner and breakfast was lovely, Thank you to all the staff and chefs for making our stay fantastic and we look forward to seeing you again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We absolutely love stories like this, so thank you ever so much for sharing it. How absolutely perfect to spend your anniversary in the same place that you got engaged? I am so glad that you enjoyed yet another stay here, and it's lovely that we are a part of your journey together! Congratulations and best wishes to you both and I do hope that we will be welcoming you back for many more milestone celebrations in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!