The Scarlet Hotel
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa(Mawgan Porth)
US$228
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa(Newquay)
US$114
Priceline
The Kenton Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$103
Porth Lodge Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$107
Toprooms.com
US$125
US$76
  • Breakfast included
Sandy Lodge Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$97
Agoda.com
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
1,662 results
All reviewshot tubthe cliffrelaxation roomspa journeyhotel dogeco hotelindulgent roomglass of champagnegenerous roomopen plan bathroomspecial occasionworth every pennyamazing hoteltea and coffeeoverlooking the beachsteam roomwine list
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I was taken as an anniversary surprise and had no idea what or where I was going, nor did I know I would be leaving with a fiancé.

We arrived on the 1st day of business after winter closures (apparently they decorate the entire hotel each year) and without going into detail and spoiling it, it was perfect. Everything that happened was a lovely surprise. And the fact that it was adults only was just magical. It was the weekend of the storms that battered the country and it was amazing to watch from the comfort of our beanbag, or, if your like me.....in the freshwater pool which was 6 degrees!!!!!!!!

With regards to the negative reviews......ignore them. People forget to think of the bigger picture. No children means no children.... relaxation and switching off from the world means no signal and no tele. It's just you, your partner and the sea. Peace and quiet. Home from home. Without all the distractions (and someone else to do the dishes).

It is expensive, and maybe you can get more 'things' for your money elsewhere, but unfortunately in the hustle and bustle of today's society, it takes a lot to make you STOP ..... and RELAX ..... and it certainly succeeded in doing that.

We booked the same date and room the following year as soon as we arrived home.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Thank you for your review, and congratulations, once again! I don't think it's a big secret that we are old romantics here at The Scarlet and that we do love to be a part of this type of celebration. The engagement stories are always some of our favourite stories here, and never fail to melt my heart (as yours did when I read it in the guest book) It's lovely that you are coming back and sharing your anniversary with us again (even more special, this time around). I look forward to welcoming you then if you're not back in Cornwall before.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Where do I start? Everything about the Scarlet is superb, our stay was faultless. The location is breathtaking and we enjoyed the changing landscape with the tide coming and going, and watching the sunset every evening from the hot tub, with a g&t! The hotel itself is beautifully designed, as soon as we walked through the doors we felt relaxed. We had a couple of spa treatments which were very good, a dip in the the pool was a great way to wake up before breakfast. We nada 'just right' room which was better than expected, and being at the front of the hotel means you have the best uninterrupted view of the sea? The staff were always incredibly friendly and helpful, which made our stay even more perfect. We even got to walk Jasper, the manager's dog! We will be returning again very soon!

Stayed: May 2013

Jasper really does enjoy taking our guests on a little tour of the beach and cliff tops, and nobody knows the local area quite like him. I am glad that you enjoyed it! I completely agree that an early dip is the perfect way to start the day... I love the outdoor natural pool for it's revitalising and refreshing qualities (to put it mildly) but the indoor pool is also wonderful and a little kinder. As a fellow early bird exerciser I would also recommend our morning yoga classes as a gentle way to wake up and say hello to the day. Again with the uninterrupted, magical sea and cliff view.

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your time with us. It's lovely to hear that you cannot wait to return... As the seasons change, so does the landscape, so that could be a perfect excuse! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

If it were possible to give a hotel 6 stars on Tripadvisor, then I'd want to give this one 7.

Without doubt the best hotel I've stayed in for every aspect. For a start, no kids, makes it very relaxing.

When you turn off the main road you might think you've gone wrong - I did - it looks like you're going along someone's street and no sign of this big imposing hotel you see from their website. That's because it is completely hidden at the end of the road and sunken down into the hill so it really doesn't spoil the view. Car parking was easy enough and felt very secure.

There's no reception desk to speak of, instead someone greets you and then fetches one of the front of house team to check you in. The reception area, like the rest of the hotel is extremely modern feeling, huge windows, great views and fantastic decor. I was then taken to a lounge area off the side of the reception hall for check-in. The lady who checked me in offered a tour of the hotel, which I accepted and was glad I did. The hotel doesn't look that big, and it's not, but the various areas are on different levels and the signage is very discreet or non-existent; with a tour on arrival who needs signs?! Throughout the hotel public areas there are lots of lovely little lounge areas, a reading room with newspaper and books, and several outdoor terraces. I liked the one just by the reading room with the huge bed-sofas. The tour took in the restaurants and spa areas.

The room was exceptional, I'd booked a Generous room and the website said that one of those rooms had its freestanding bath by a window, I emailed in advance and was delighted that I'd got it. In fact, everything prior to arrival was just brilliant too, including the easy online booking process, followed up the a more in depth email a day or so later, a pre-arrival call and a pre-arrival email and call from the spa with advice on booking treatments.

The room itself was certainly generous and had a huge balcony area too facing the sea and with some really comfortable furniture. Also a separate seating area in the room and a big comfy bed. The only downside was the tv was tiny, but I wasn't there to watch television so that's fine. The bathroom arrangements were split between a wetroom with shower and loo at the entrance to the room, a large washbasin behind the bed and the aforementioned freestanding bath that I just loved, especially it's very comfortable egg shape and heated tiled floor area around it.

In the room mineral water was provided but there was no mini bar or tea or coffee making facilities. In the tour it was explained that if you wanted tea or coffee just to call reception and they'd bring you a fresh caffetiere or pot of tea, so no silly sachets of industrial gunk. I used the service once and it was there incredibly quickly. For anything else, you just called and someone brought it to you; that's what I call top service.

I went for a pre-dinner wander around the hotel and ended up in the steam room and indoor pool, the latter running right up to some huge windows so you felt as if you were swimming into the horizon, a fantastic feeling. There was a very nice relaxation room next door with a variety of comfy seats and opening onto a terrace overlooking the outdoor rock pool; the pool was open but it was not heated, being naturally heated by the sun, so the chap looking after it did mention it was colder than the sea so I declined to take a dip. The changing area had unlimited herbal tea, all very relaxing.

I popped down for dinner in the hotel's restaurant; again brilliant food, brilliant wine (the menu recommends which to have with each course so I followed the advice) and brilliant service.

The next day, I ordered room service breakfast of fruit compote, pressed Cornish apple juice and Welsh rarebit with a fried egg; the latter was a new experience for breakfast but was wonderful out on the balcony.

I had some spa sessions booked so checked out of the room and headed to the outdoor cliff top hot tub. Unlike the previous day the sea mist was hanging thick (just a few miles in land it was bright sunshine) so it was quite an etherial experience sitting in a hot tob on the edge of the cliff just with the sound of the sea lapping on the invisble beach below. The friendly hot tub attendant also brought any drink you wanted, it was a bit early in the morning so opted for orange juice and of course it was great.

I had a spa journey booked which started with a herbal tea and an ayurvedic consultation. If you're like me, you might think it's all mumbo-jumbo before you go, but the therapist had me spot on. She was very friendly and open, and was certainly the most relaxed and comprehensive pre-treatment consultation I'd had. The treatment area itself is stunning inside some some bedouin style tents, extremely comfortable and relaxing. After a wonderful massage was time to relax in the dark hanging tent relaxation room, I totally drifted off and lost all track of time.

When it came to lunch, I went looking for the changing room but accidentally ended up walking into an area of the restaurant. A friendly team member told me it was no problem and that it was actually the spa area of the restaurant; a separate raised area above the main restaurant only for spa guests where you could stay in your dressing gown. More brilliant food, the fish and chips gets special mention, before another chill out in the relaxation room and time to go unfortunately.

Check-out was smooth and fast, and you're given a card to get a discount on your next stay... which I will be using, I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely and kind account of your time here. I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed passing it on to the team. It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful and relaxing time with us, which is, absolutely, what we're about!

You really made the most of your time here, by the sound of things... Something that we feel that a short and friendly tour really encourages (just makes you feel right at home, which is so important to us, and helps you find your feet a little). I appreciated the nod towards our special take on the old favourite fish and chips (a must by the sea), which can be made even more enjoyable with a glass of bubbly (a pairing that I'd really recommend for a special cliff terrace lunch).

As for the Bedouin - style tents... we often pop them up outside during the summer for treatments. Nothing quite like a massage whilst still being able to hear bird song!

I'm so glad that you left us in such marvelously high spirits. It sounds like you are already quite determined to visit us soon which is wonderful news. Thank you, once again, We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I have spent our Easter holidays in the Scarlet Hotel and have had an amazing time here. It was our first time in this hotel but it will not be the last, since we are already thinking of when to come back!

The views from the hotel are stunning, the bay is so beautiful and the hotel is perfectly located to wath the sunset! The architecture is also impressive, both on the outside and on the Inside. The spa and Inside pool, combines with the outdoor hot tub make you relax from all the stress you may bring, and the food is also very good.

Finally, the staff is absolutely perfect. We interacted with at least 15 different members of the staff and they were all equally helpful, welcoming and polite. They all have a "can do" attitude that reflecta the way they have been trained.

Overall, one of the best experiences we have had in a hotel. It is not cheap but absolutely worth every £ we paid, and would have paid even more!

• Stayed: April 2014
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

It's lovely to read that you enjoyed your Easter break with us. I am in complete agreement with you with regards to the sunset over the ocean... it's really a must see (especially from the hot tub with a glass of fizz, for ultimate indulgence)

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to review your experience with us. I really enjoyed passing your comments on to the team here (who we are very proud of). They are all delighted to hear that we wowed you so much that you're already planning a return, and we look forward to seeing you again soon, hopefully.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our 2nd stay at the most amazing hotel. It's just magical in everyway. Within 5 minutes of walking through the door you are relaxed. We have come away from a 2 nights stay saying that we will visit at least once a year, every year! Staff are fab and the views and location superb.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 35 for the 2nd time. Totally recommend.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 17EmmaH
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind review and I'm so glad that you found this stay just as magical as your first! I agree that room 35, with its cliff side lawn is really lovely. As every room has a sea view (some with lawns and some with large balconies) each room is special, but we do often find guests fall in love with one and keep it as their personal one forever. Thanks, once again, and we look forward to seeing you again next year.