“Secluded luxury, lovely view and dog friendly”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our first trip to Cornwall. We stayed at the Scarlet, and used it as a base to visit surrounding towns/cities like Falmouth, Truro and Padstow, and it was lovely to come back to after a day of exploring. Interaction can be minimal, on account of lack of reception, plus a split-level lounge, as well as dining area, sitting rooms, sun deck, enclosed garden etc scattered in various corners of the building -- lots of places to disappear to. Not a bad thing if you like service but not of the overbearing, intrusive kind. The staff were friendly and helpful. This is not the place if you wish to be pampered constantly, but we had drinks on the sun deck several times, and coffees in the library in the morning, and all came promptly.

However, it is possible to feel a tad isolated, as the building can feel quite sprawling, with corridors, rooms, multiple levels etc. Nevertheless, we really enjoyed the quiet, and our pet dog loved it too, especially the amble down towards the beach each day. We met other dog owners, though we learnt that only 4 dogs are allowed on the property at any one time.

The most awesome aspect are the spectacular views. We also ate breakfast here each morning and had a dinner at the restaurant. The meals were quite nice though not so spectacular you would write home about. Overall, very happy with our experience.

Room Tip: We stayed one night in a smaller room, and the remaining nights in a larger room with a balcony and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your first trip to Cornwall. We have so many gorgeous walks, perfect to enjoy with a four legged companion (who, I'm glad to hear, loved it too!). You're absolutely right in the fact that we do limit the amount of dogs we have staying with us at any one time. To ensure the comfort of all guests we have a limited amount of specific 'dog friendly rooms', which, due to the lovely, also dog-friendly, beaches and homemade dog biscuits are really quite sought after for pampered pooches... We also have Jasper, have our playful hotel dog who is more than happy to act as a tour guide for guests wanting to explore!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will pass on your comments to the teams here for us to review and learn from. I'm glad that you left us happy and hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was lucky enough to be taken to the Scarlet as a surprise weekend and we also had the most glorious weather, although I doubt it would matter what the weather was like, as you would be hard pushed not to love the Scarlet. From the moment you enter the hotel you are swept away by the location, design and views (the Scarlet doesn't have a reception area - they just 'know' you have arrived and come and meet you).

With wall to floor windows, infinity natural pools, turfed roof tops, hot tubs on the cliffs and the views on to a secluded and beautiful, golden sandy Mawgan Porth beach, it is hard to not feel like you have been transported to a whole new place.

The Scarlet is a relaxing, grown up break (children under a certain age, are not allowed to stay in the hotel - but can visit the public areas), dogs are also welcome in a limited number of rooms and areas. There is a fabulous spa centre, which even has some 'couples' therapies, which are fantastic for that 'romantic' experience. We opted for a Rhassoul, which is a kind of mud bath in a sauna type environment, which felt great and led to a couple of hours with a glass of wine on the sun terrace waiting for a sunset hot tub.

The restaurant has fabulous views to the beach and sea and many a wonderful sunset can be seen from here, again with floor to ceiling windows and outdoor seating area (booking would be recommended on sunny areas) I personally found the food a little rich and trying too hard type production and personally may only want to dine there once over a few nights stay. The bar area is a lovely area over looking the restaurant and does have a more relaxed choice of food options but is quite small and can not seat a great deal of people or tables.

There is no doubt the Scarlet is expensive and if we had one moan (a very small one), it is that they do not have fridges in the room, as they are (or can be) noisy and against the eco friendly credentials the hotel strives hard to achieve, which we can totally understand, but it is nice to make your own tea, rather than having to ring down every time you want a cup of tea, although the service was always with you within minutes.

A extravagance yes but a fabulous and unique hotel which leaves it mark long after you return home, we hope to return again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

What a super surprise treat for you! I am so glad that you had a lovely weekend with us and that you left us with such wonderful memories... I think it's really that time of year to really start to yearn for a sunset hot tub again.

We really do try and create a haven for grown ups to relax and enjoy themselves in complete, and for that reason we are completely adults-only here. Children are, however, very welcome at our sister hotel just a short stroll away (we often have people send their children up to the Bedruthan with grandparents, whilst they spend a few days recharging and rekindling their relationships with us). This adult-only policy really helps to create a restful and romantic atmosphere, which is really quite unique. Further to this, just so that you know for your next visit, the relaxed menu available in the bar is actually available any time, and anywhere on the hotel grounds... Perfect for this time of year, especially!

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts regarding your stay. I will really enjoy passing all of your comments on to the team, and your constructive feedback onto our management team to review, and we do hope to welcome you back very soon... The hot tub and rhassoul await!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We chose The Scarlet for our wedding in September as we had visited before and had fallen in love with both the hotel and Mawgan Porth. I can honestly say that our stay was as perfect as we had hoped for and that the staff went out of their way to be helpful, but not intrusive. As usual the cuisine was fantastic, the rooms luxurious and whole ambience, relaxing. We also booked a couples spa journey and would highly recommend this if you have time; it really is worth treating yourself to the ultimate in pampering and the staff will tailor the packages to suit your individual needs. We have just booked to celebrate our first wedding anniversary there and needless to say, cannot wait to go!

Room Tip: Try the spacious rooms, fantastic!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 231Cat123

How wonderful that you chose to celebrate your wedding with us, and it's absolutely marvelous to hear that you are coming back for your anniversary! We are so lovely for a romantic break (so lovely, in fact, that I'm actually spending my time off here to celebrate my partner's birthday next week (That's how fabulous and magical our spa team are... I'd rather come back to my work place to relax than go anywhere else, and I know I'll be completely transported and at ease!). I agree that the couple's journey is a real pleasure, and something I've booked for myself (so excited). I would also very strongly recommend the rhassoul as a fun experience together if you haven't tried it already (it's simply a must for every couple at least once with us, I promise!)

Thank you for sharing your experience here. I'm so glad that you can't wait to return and we'll see you again in just a few months.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days and got the benefit of the Cornish weather at it's best.
I'm finding this quite difficult to review as it is, quite honestly, an amazing location and hotel. However, it took me some time to get into it and a bit of time to reflect on the experience.

First up - it's expensive. Can't mark it down for this as I knew when I booked it.

Reception is a bit odd - the laid back absence of a check in desk (becoming more common in the UK now) just doesn't do it for me. There's a sign saying "have a seat, we know you're here" but that doesn't mean someone's looking at the camera in the office. We waited 10 minutes for someone to acknowledge us and I wandered off and brought our luggage in while my wife waited. No big deal but it was our first impression.

Anyway, off to the room with the really friendly staff and a tour of the hotel. The grounds, rooms, dining terraces are all superb and there's never a feeling of being crowded.

One thing with the rooms. I booked a Unique room because of the upstairs terrace which looked like a good place for a drink in the evening. I didn't realise that it's a kind of pod with a 2m square glass window overlooking the sea and was incredibly hot during the day - it's not an outside space. The Unique rooms do have a private outside area which doesn't have a view as it's fenced in - very private but not much to see. I'm not being negative about the room which was great, but make sure you choose carefully according to your needs. We'll go for a "just right" one with a sea view next time.

There's no aircon as it's a sustainably biased hotel - there is underfloor heating which you can turn off. Once you fathom out the curtain / window vent combination you can keep the room cool. I'd imagine if you left the windows closed and the curtains open in the summer you'd be uncomfortably hot when you got back.....a bit of common sense is all that's needed so don't expect to come back to your room and crank up the aircon to cool down.

The food is excellent, all locally sourced, and for such a great location, vibe and service it's worth every penny.

If you're lucky enough to get good weather, there are loads of seats, loungers and beanbags in the grounds overlooking the bay. The two hot tubs are perched in front of the hotel in full view of the sea and also the terraces. Not particularly private and they cost extra....they were only used twice during our stay but I guess they get busy in the summer.

The service is pretty much on-demand everywhere. The staff are busy all day taking drinks and food to rooms, terraces, lawns etc. If you want your breakfast in your room that's no problem. Tea and coffee come within minutes and ice buckets / glasses just as quickly......

We'd definitely stay again and were really sad to leave - thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: See my comments about the Unique rooms.....
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful, detailed review. I am so pleased that you felt we deserved five stars! I am also very pleased that you really got the best of our Cornish weather (and I do hope that you managed to make use of our beanbags on our meadow, or loungers by the natural pool, as well as our personally hosted service).

I am so sorry about your initial check in experience. This absolutely is not the welcoming first impression we would hope for you to have (and I'm sure you noted by the otherwise friendly and efficient service that you experienced that this was absolutely not the norm for us). I will be sure to feed this back to our reception team in order for them to look at how they can prevent this from happening again. Thank you for letting us know. I will also pass on your compliments to Tom Hunter, our head chef, and his team. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the food so much, and I agree that the restaurant does have a great vibe... So nice at the moment to watch the sunset from the terrace.

I understand and sympathise with you being sad to leave, but am glad that you had a lovely time with us and do hope that you took away some great memories. It was our absolute pleasure to have you both with us and hopefully we will see you both here again very soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Such an amazing hotel. Staff are fab - nothing too much trouble. Love the Eco credentials of The Scarlet, incredibly innovative. The rooms are creatively designed and the spaces are full of art to take your breathe away. We had a very laid back couple of days, with delicious food, cocktails and wine. We'll deffo return. Thank you :-)

Stayed: May 2014

Thank you ever so much for your review. It's so nice to read that you really enjoyed your time with us, and I especially enjoyed noting that you loved our eco philosophy and our artwork here. It sounds that you left us feeling rather relaxed, and I am so glad that you are hoping to return. Thank you once again!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Our second stay at The Scarlet and once again we left relaxed, rejuvenated and wanting to come back as soon as possible! The staff have a wonderful ability of making you feel fully looked after without being over bearing in any way and the variety of spaces in the hotel mean you really can find a little area (the library is my favourite), so sink into a sofa with a book / paper or each other and just slow down and relax. Perfect! The spa and the food were fantastic again. I'm just gutted that again we had no room for a cream tea! LOVE the breakfast granola!
Beautiful setting overlooking the cliffs, instant access to the costal path. We first stayed on our honeymoon and will continue coming back, hopefully fairly regularly! Thanks again.

Room Tip: If you're going for a Just Right room - the queen ones have a better view that the kings in my e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased that you had yet another perfect stay with us, and that you still feel the magic that you did during your honeymoon. I'm in total agreement about the library being a wonderful quiet space to just relax with a blanket and a good book... There's always a good selection of boardgames in the cupboards there, too... Such a lovely way to while away the hours doing something we often just don't find the time for at home... especially lovely with a large glass of red, and a cheese board, I find.

I'll pass on your kind compliments to the kitchen regarding our homemade granola. It is a lovely way to start the morning. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to tell others about your time with us. It's wonderful to hear that you're hoping to become regular visitors of ours. Hopefully we will be serving you that cream tea that you you missed out on very, soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Wonderfull time at a great hotel . Two night stay with staff doing everything they could to make you feel very welcome. Food excellent ,spa very good special mention to Anna. Great time
Tony and kim

p.s. Also special mention to Demi for exceptional hospitality skills.

Room Tip: all rooms have great views over the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

It was great to have you back again, and I'm glad that you had a wonderful time with us. I agree that the food is excellent - Tom and the team are certainly making the most of the lovely, fresh seasonal produce at the moment, and I am having to walk a few more miles along the cliffs every week to justify the amazing desserts that are too tempting for words... I'm trying to tell myself that the fresh raspberries with the treacle tart and clotted cream count as one of my five a day, and is therefore a healthy choice!

I really enjoyed passing your feedback on to Demi last night (she says hello!) and look forward ti seeing Anna today. I agree that they are both exceptional, and we are lucky to have such a lovely team here. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we look forward to welcoming you both again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!