“Once you get the hang of it......fantastic.”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Once you get the hang of it......fantastic.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Maybe it's an age thing but my senses took an hour or two to adjust themselves to the scarlet. Having arrived from a very traditional hotel, the scarlet is attempting to be anything but traditional. No reception desk, just a BB camera and a sofa. Your'host' takes you to your room. We stayed on the top floor and what a view. Beautiful room and fresh tea or coffee delivered free on request any time of day.
Fantastic areas to relax in and very good food in Both the restaurants. Breakfast is a non buffet affair with a different menu each day, but this still allows for early morning gluttony! Facilities are terrific. The outdoor natural pond is a challenge as it is un heated but fascinating, the indoor pool is luxurious and very serene.
The spa offers 'journeys' which include a huge range of therapies. We tried the rahsoul which is not to be missed if you like a good mud fight. We also tried the cliff top hot tub which was fine but not worth £20.
The scarlet is definitely one to try but be aware that the focus is on the younger client group whose expectations of pampering are not perhaps those of the over 50's. the staff can seem a little aloof and a tad pre occupied but most were friendly and happy to oblige albeit without much of a sense of humour.
Expensive stay but overall worth the money and a very different experience.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view and feeling of a room by the sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guernsey50
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I am so glad that you relaxed and had a fantastic time with us. I agree that the rhassoul is definitely a 'must try'. Such fun, and also a wonderful treat for the muscles and skin. It sounds like you had a lovely time with us and that the experience was different, but in a good, luxurious way!

With regards to our service, I was so disappointed to read that you found some to be aloof, for example. This is absolutely not our intention at all (anything but, in fact!), and I will certainly feed that back to the team. If you do have any other feedback at all please do email at erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here, and I do hope that you'll be back again very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Zürich
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed for five nights at the Scarlet in June 2014 and we were a little disappointed.
First the good:
- Superb setting with an unbeatable view.
- very nice staff
- clean

Now about the disappointments:
- we ate three times at the scarlet. It is way off the beaten track and we found it uncomfortable to use the car to go to many other places. One time the food was great, the other two it was bland and uninspired. The kitchen has a very strong tendency towards English food.
- We visited the SPA once. The rassoul was really hurried. The timing on the system was such, that every time you were ready to lean back and start to relax the machine rushed you to the next step. The massage, even though we clearly communicated that we want to loosen stiff muscles, was very soft and did not achieve the desired effect.
- The room was spacious and looked good. Unfortunately it is all about design and not about function. Using a make up mirror to shave because a real mirror is missing. Making a lot floor wet because the shower wall is too small.
- The entire hotel is about service. There is nothing you can do yourself: No coffee or tea in the room. No minibar. You always have to pick up the phone.
- Breakfast is service only as well. You get the fruits the cook wants you to have and not those you prefer. No choosing your cereal or cheese or meats.
- The dining area has a floor that is in such bad repair that even a child walking by will shake you so badly as if you were sitting in small boat.

We do not intend to return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mopd
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of the Scarlet. I was very sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations and was not entirely to your taste. I will certainly take back your feedback to the relevant departments in order to learn from it. We have time together dedicated to finding ways to move forward, so I will certainly raise your points.

I do agree that we are all about service here and it's something that we are quite proud of. However, we can always provide a hospitality tray should a guest prefer that to us providing fresh brewed tea and coffee. Just a quick call to reception and the hosts will be happy to provide one. Likewise, if we do have a different dish available to those on the three course breakfast or dinner menu (so, for example, if a fruit is in season, available locally, and in the kitchen) we will absolutely try to change the menu to suit tastes where possible, and with notice we will always strive to get something in especially. I am so sorry if this was not something that you were entirely aware of on your visit as had we known, we certainly would have tried to make things better for you, and always welcome the feedback. Again, I will pass this feedback to the teams.

If you could spare the time and would like to discuss your experience further, please could you email me erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk and I will call when convenient to you. Thank you once again and I do hope that you had a safe and pleasant onward journey.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I booked three nights here based on the reviews that we had read through this site.

We were NOT disappointed. Our room was very large (SPACIOUS room) with gorgeous views over the large beach and out to sea. It also had a large balcony. It was perfectly quiet at night and the hotel was comfortably busy and yet the staff were attentive and helpful whenever required.

The food was excellent and we were both impressed with the kitchen changing the menu to fit our specific dietary requirements without any issues.

The spa is a gem as well. I took two guided meditation sessions and we both had the Ayurvedic massage. RELAXING is not the word to describe them. In both instances I would like to thank Amanda for her meditation guidance and the blissful massage.

Padstow is about 8 miles away and we were fortunate enough to also get a booking at Rick Stein's restaurant which was an evening to be remembered for the excellent food and service.

We will definitely be coming back in the future !

Room Tip: Go for ANY room but particularly the SPACIOUS ones as they are very large !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind and detailed review. I’m really glad that you both enjoyed yourselves so much and left us feeling, by the sounds of it, very relaxed. I will certainly pass your compliments on to Amanda for you. I agree that she’s absolutely fabulous and the guided meditations are wonderful. Our cosy little meditation room is probably one of my favourite spots in the hotel, and it’s lovely that the team have even provided the Ipod of guided mediations for times when one just needs some complete lone space. Perfectly calming! And wow, the spacious rooms certainly are large and gorgeous! I also agree with your advice that any room is great, however. There is nothing quite like watching the sunset with a glass of fizz, which is why every room has a lovely sea view, to really make the most of our setting.

We’re so pleased that you’re definitely going to be returning to us in the future, and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Thank you once again!
devon uk
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Scarlett hotel for 2 nights in June and I have to say it by far exceeded any expectations we could have had. Although the room in size was not the biggest we have stayed in it certainly was the most impressive when it comes to it's character and uniqueness, it's hard to compare it to anywhere we have stayed before which is one of the things that made it such a good experience. The staff at the Scarlett are beyond impressive, In my opinion there is nothing worse than making requests to staff who make it feel like a hassle or make you feel awkward in anyway for asking, I have to say it couldn't be further from that with the staff at The Scarlett, from the second we arrived to the time we left they couldn't have done more for us and not only did they do so happily they somehow managed to make it feel like more of a favour from a friend as oppose to the customer service dynamic, this made such a difference to the whole feel of the weekend and we can't thank them enough. We were lucky enough to try a few treatments in the spa and again I have to say it was in fitting with the whole weekend and the staff there were again a pleasure to deal with. Although we didn't have an evening meal in the restaurant we did have the pleasure of eating there for Sunday lunch and both the starter and the main were fantastic. If your looking for a weekend break for a special occasion or simply as a treat I can't recommend this place highly enough, a huge thank you to all of the staff there and without doubt we will be visiting again soon and are already looking forward to it.

Kelly Donnelly

• Stayed June 2014
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
I am so glad that you both really enjoyed your time with us, and wonderful to hear that you found us to be the best hotel you've ever stayed at (very kind. Thank you ever so much!). I'm pleased that we helped you both make your special celebration extra special (congratulations, once again, by the way!)

It will be my absolute pleasure to pass your message of thanks on to the team, and it's lovely to hear that we looked after you so well... it sounds like we really achieved what we set out to: for you to relax in a home from home environment, almost like staying at an old friend's. You are completely right in saying how we all seem quite happy in our work... imagine being in this gorgeous environment five days a week and it's easy to see why! Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experiences with others and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We just came back from a lovely long weekend at the Scarlet. I've been twice before and I think I might have tried every mode of 'spa-ing' at the Scarlet - I've been there alone for a week, with a female friend for a 2-night stay, and now with my fiancé for a long weekend break. And each time the Scarlet hasn't failed to deliver.

When I was looking for a spa break this year I almost didn't book the Scarlet. It's a long way to drive, it's just a spa, etc etc. But I ended up rebooking because the culture of the Scarlet fits with me and what I like in it a hotel, and with some many of its competitors, I got the distinct impression that while the decor might be consistent the quality of the service was hit and miss. I've lived all over the world and learned that for me, the most important thing is that I can relax and unwind at a hotel, and that means choosing a hotel where the staff are kind, can-do and where the ethos of the hotel is about enjoying yourself, not being seen to do so. The Scarlet's mantra is that guests can play - so that means no request is too daft, and just because you didn't think to order something in advance doesn't mean it can't be got for you at short notice.

The Scarlet staff are friendly, chatty individuals, who treat you like you're a friendly, normal human being in return. There's no insincere bowing and scraping, and yet at the same time absolutely nothing is too much trouble. You fancy some freshly-brewed tea on the terrace, "sure, want some homemade cake with that?" You reach the end of dinner and want to have your desert in bed with the telly on? Of course, go on down and we'll send it after you. You want a nightcap at the billiard table while you hopelessly lose to your better half? Done. Ice with that?

I've been to some lovely luxury hotels, and they all share one thing in common. They know what you need before you do, and they provide it with great staff who genuinely care about their jobs. The worst hotels I've stayed in, have the plush, sexy decor and a team that feel so fake and menial they make you feel uncomfortable. I want a home from home where I don't have to lift a finger. At the Scarlet you get the feeling that their staff really enjoy their jobs. And in turn, it means the guests don't treat them like servants either.

Does the Scarlet have lovely decor, yes, absolutely, and what's more it's practical and comfortable not just good-looking. The beds are so comfortable, you won't want to get out. Is the food good? Yes, and far superior and much cheaper than Jamie Oliver's over-rated and crap Fifteen down the road. (don't bother unless you like being served by estate agents). Does it have an amazing spa. Hell yeah, we loved it, even the hot tub in the rain (actually ESPECIALLY in the rain). But as I remember it, we loved the hot tub because the waiter served us our own bottle of prosecco and then regassed the little bit left in the bottle and stored it in the fridge at the bar when he could easily have chucked it away. We loved the food because our waitress Michelle was so sweet and when we mentioned we'd recently got engaged she then produced a desert with 'congratulations' subtly piped along the rim of the plate. We loved it because we felt special and cared about.

Do you have to dress up to go there? Nope, not for a second, my fiancé arrived with half his belongings in carrier bags because he didn't have a travel bag big enough. Do you have to pretend to be some high-roller to feel comfortable? No, in fact please don't, no-one else will. You can afford the room right? That's enough. If you want a hotel to be seen in, please go to Watergate Bay with the Sloane set. If you want a real hotel where you can unwind, unplug and reconnect with what you really care about in life, go to the Scarlet, stand on the beach with no shoes and socks on, breathe in the air, and watch the sunset from the terrace wrapped in one of their massive bear-like blankets. "Want a glass of wine with that?" Go on then.

Room Tip: The smallest rooms look a bit too small. I've had the Generous room twice and it's great...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Charly C
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Firstly, again... huge congratulations to the both of you on your engagement. We all wish you every happiness and many wonderful years full of love and laughter together!

Secondly, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review... I can't even begin to tell you how much of a pleasure it was passing it on to the teams (especially Michelle, who I agree is a real sweetie, and always so caring to both the rest of her and to guests. She was so happy that you loved the surprise and mentioned her, it really made her day!)

I don't even know where to start, just thank you ever so much for your lovely, extremely kind comments. I don't think we could have tried to explain what we do better ourselves! It really does sound like our culture fits with you perfectly, and I'm so glad that we can provide you with a place to really relax and unwind, whatever the occasion. I do hope that we will continue to be your haven and help you create lots more happy memories, and we look forward to seeing you again soon (blanket and a glass of wine waiting!)
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Me and our wife visited this stunning location for our first wedding anniversary. Everything was perfect from the rooms to the service. We will definitely be returning to this fantastic hotel. All the staff were a credit to the owners and not a stone has been left unturned in making this such a special location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JJtorbay
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
We do absolutely love a celebration here at the Scarlet, so thank you for sharing such a special, romantic one with us. I am delighted that you had such a special, lovely time here, and that you will definitely be returning... maybe for another anniversary in the future? Thank you for sharing your experience with others and we hope to welcome you both again very soon!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked one of the Indulgent Rooms. Being their most expensive offering, and having heard about the amazing views, we were expecting something very special. Instead we were very disappointed.

The room was quite large, but was very low down meaning that our view was all but non existent. We were looking out over what seemed to be the rooftop of other rooms. There were also attics for other rooms which also impeded our view. We almost cried.

Other reviews have also commented on the very average decor in the rooms. The interior reminded me of the rooms you might expect in one of those corporate conference type hotels; certainly not a luxury, romantic getaway.

Also very off putting was the open plan showering arrangements. Without a word of exaggeration, the shower is in the tv area. If you are having a shower, you can watch tv. Anyone watching tv can also watch you. Extraordinary!

That said, the service was exceptional. We also really enjoyed eating in the on site restaurant.

Sadly, the lack of a view and the weird showering arrangement means we could never return. Perhaps other, cheaper, rooms are more enticing.

Room Tip: Don't assume the most expensive rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brizzietraveller65
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you ever so much for your review. With regards to your room, I am so sorry that you left feeling disappointed, and that your room view and layout was not to your personal taste. We are quite unusual here in the fact that our rooms are all really quite different and varied in order to try and meet as many tastes as possible, and our reservations team, in much the same spirit as the wonderful service our team gave you once you arrived, normally speak to all guests at time of booking in order to confirm the room layout and details (we then call back again closer to arrival to just ensure that there’s no changes and to ensure we have any little touches in place for you). Unfortunately, if bookings are made with third party agents, we may not be provided with these contact details to ensure we have everything in place. Once again, I am ever so sorry that your room did not match your tastes on this occasion, but understand that you found our service to be exceptional here and that you really enjoyed our fabulous restaurant. With that in mind I do hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#1 of 5 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!