“Lunch at Scarlet” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wakefield
“Lunch at Scarlet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Ny husband and I went to meet friends there and to have a look around We had a guided tour of the hotel and it had a wonderful feeling of peace and tranquility. The staff were very friendly. The hotel was unlike any we have ever visited. It is very eco friendly. There is an outside reed swimming pool which looked very inviting, a beautiful terrace for a drink, a dining terrace and little areas for relaxing and sunbathing. The lunch we had was absolutely delicious - I had brill and then chocolate cremeaux, both of which exceeded expectations. The views over Mawgan Porth beach are spectacular. Cannot wait to stay there sometime in the near future!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thanks for popping in for lunch whilst down in Mawgan Porth, Christine. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit. The chocolate creameux is definitely one of my personal favourites... so rich and indulgent, like heaven on a plate! I do hope that you'll be back to visit us very soon (if we didn't take your details during the tour, please feel free to sign up to our mailing list on our website, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter. We often share recipes (food and spa related) and gorgeous photos of the view to give everybody a nice little Scarlet fix whilst back at home at their desks. Worth a look!

You taking the time to tell others about your experience is really appreciated. Thanks once again, and we hope to see you back here again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Love this hotel! Breathtaking setting. Great staff. Lovely food. Although fairly pricy, it is the perfect place to unwind and relax. Love the steam room and outdoor natural plunge pool. Look forward to returning!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Angioli
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review, and I'm so happy that you fell in love with us. I agree that the natural pool is certainly bracing (especially in February when you stayed), and perfect for a dip in after the hot tub or steam room (or even as an exhilarating early morning wake up, as Nikki, our brave GM enjoys!)

Thank you once again. I'm glad that you are looking forward to returning to us in the future and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently returned for a 5 night break at the end of a business trip in the area
The hotel is fantastic in every aspect and the weather during our stay was perfect. The staff however take the place to another level. Nothing is too much trouble their attentiveness is natural and not forced. We dined in the restaurant the first night and then tried to book 48hours in advance for the Sat night. The staff member told us that the restaurant was already full which we would have fully accepted. Without prompting she offered to set up a table on our room balcony and serve us there. We had a great meal watching the sun setting over the bay. This 'can do' attitude sets the Scarlett apart. We will be back, thank you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review, and I'm so pleased that you had a wonderful time (particularly after a business trip to the area... what a fabulous way to unwind!)

It was so kind of you to take the time to write such high accolade for the team. I will really enjoy passing on your praise to the team (I agree that they really make it what this place is!). How lovely that you had dinner on your balcony as well... Nothing quite as romantic as a candlelit dinner watching the sun set. Lovely to hear that you're hoping to return, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Maybe it's an age thing but my senses took an hour or two to adjust themselves to the scarlet. Having arrived from a very traditional hotel, the scarlet is attempting to be anything but traditional. No reception desk, just a BB camera and a sofa. Your'host' takes you to your room. We stayed on the top floor and what a view. Beautiful room and fresh tea or coffee delivered free on request any time of day.
Fantastic areas to relax in and very good food in Both the restaurants. Breakfast is a non buffet affair with a different menu each day, but this still allows for early morning gluttony! Facilities are terrific. The outdoor natural pond is a challenge as it is un heated but fascinating, the indoor pool is luxurious and very serene.
The spa offers 'journeys' which include a huge range of therapies. We tried the rahsoul which is not to be missed if you like a good mud fight. We also tried the cliff top hot tub which was fine but not worth £20.
The scarlet is definitely one to try but be aware that the focus is on the younger client group whose expectations of pampering are not perhaps those of the over 50's. the staff can seem a little aloof and a tad pre occupied but most were friendly and happy to oblige albeit without much of a sense of humour.
Expensive stay but overall worth the money and a very different experience.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view and feeling of a room by the sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Guernsey50
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I am so glad that you relaxed and had a fantastic time with us. I agree that the rhassoul is definitely a 'must try'. Such fun, and also a wonderful treat for the muscles and skin. It sounds like you had a lovely time with us and that the experience was different, but in a good, luxurious way!

With regards to our service, I was so disappointed to read that you found some to be aloof, for example. This is absolutely not our intention at all (anything but, in fact!), and I will certainly feed that back to the team. If you do have any other feedback at all please do email at erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here, and I do hope that you'll be back again very soon!
Zürich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed for five nights at the Scarlet in June 2014 and we were a little disappointed.
First the good:
- Superb setting with an unbeatable view.
- very nice staff
- clean

Now about the disappointments:
- we ate three times at the scarlet. It is way off the beaten track and we found it uncomfortable to use the car to go to many other places. One time the food was great, the other two it was bland and uninspired. The kitchen has a very strong tendency towards English food.
- We visited the SPA once. The rassoul was really hurried. The timing on the system was such, that every time you were ready to lean back and start to relax the machine rushed you to the next step. The massage, even though we clearly communicated that we want to loosen stiff muscles, was very soft and did not achieve the desired effect.
- The room was spacious and looked good. Unfortunately it is all about design and not about function. Using a make up mirror to shave because a real mirror is missing. Making a lot floor wet because the shower wall is too small.
- The entire hotel is about service. There is nothing you can do yourself: No coffee or tea in the room. No minibar. You always have to pick up the phone.
- Breakfast is service only as well. You get the fruits the cook wants you to have and not those you prefer. No choosing your cereal or cheese or meats.
- The dining area has a floor that is in such bad repair that even a child walking by will shake you so badly as if you were sitting in small boat.

We do not intend to return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mopd
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of the Scarlet. I was very sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations and was not entirely to your taste. I will certainly take back your feedback to the relevant departments in order to learn from it. We have time together dedicated to finding ways to move forward, so I will certainly raise your points.

I do agree that we are all about service here and it's something that we are quite proud of. However, we can always provide a hospitality tray should a guest prefer that to us providing fresh brewed tea and coffee. Just a quick call to reception and the hosts will be happy to provide one. Likewise, if we do have a different dish available to those on the three course breakfast or dinner menu (so, for example, if a fruit is in season, available locally, and in the kitchen) we will absolutely try to change the menu to suit tastes where possible, and with notice we will always strive to get something in especially. I am so sorry if this was not something that you were entirely aware of on your visit as had we known, we certainly would have tried to make things better for you, and always welcome the feedback. Again, I will pass this feedback to the teams.

If you could spare the time and would like to discuss your experience further, please could you email me erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk and I will call when convenient to you. Thank you once again and I do hope that you had a safe and pleasant onward journey.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I booked three nights here based on the reviews that we had read through this site.

We were NOT disappointed. Our room was very large (SPACIOUS room) with gorgeous views over the large beach and out to sea. It also had a large balcony. It was perfectly quiet at night and the hotel was comfortably busy and yet the staff were attentive and helpful whenever required.

The food was excellent and we were both impressed with the kitchen changing the menu to fit our specific dietary requirements without any issues.

The spa is a gem as well. I took two guided meditation sessions and we both had the Ayurvedic massage. RELAXING is not the word to describe them. In both instances I would like to thank Amanda for her meditation guidance and the blissful massage.

Padstow is about 8 miles away and we were fortunate enough to also get a booking at Rick Stein's restaurant which was an evening to be remembered for the excellent food and service.

We will definitely be coming back in the future !

Room Tip: Go for ANY room but particularly the SPACIOUS ones as they are very large !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind and detailed review. I’m really glad that you both enjoyed yourselves so much and left us feeling, by the sounds of it, very relaxed. I will certainly pass your compliments on to Amanda for you. I agree that she’s absolutely fabulous and the guided meditations are wonderful. Our cosy little meditation room is probably one of my favourite spots in the hotel, and it’s lovely that the team have even provided the Ipod of guided mediations for times when one just needs some complete lone space. Perfectly calming! And wow, the spacious rooms certainly are large and gorgeous! I also agree with your advice that any room is great, however. There is nothing quite like watching the sunset with a glass of fizz, which is why every room has a lovely sea view, to really make the most of our setting.

We’re so pleased that you’re definitely going to be returning to us in the future, and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Thank you once again!
devon uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Scarlett hotel for 2 nights in June and I have to say it by far exceeded any expectations we could have had. Although the room in size was not the biggest we have stayed in it certainly was the most impressive when it comes to it's character and uniqueness, it's hard to compare it to anywhere we have stayed before which is one of the things that made it such a good experience. The staff at the Scarlett are beyond impressive, In my opinion there is nothing worse than making requests to staff who make it feel like a hassle or make you feel awkward in anyway for asking, I have to say it couldn't be further from that with the staff at The Scarlett, from the second we arrived to the time we left they couldn't have done more for us and not only did they do so happily they somehow managed to make it feel like more of a favour from a friend as oppose to the customer service dynamic, this made such a difference to the whole feel of the weekend and we can't thank them enough. We were lucky enough to try a few treatments in the spa and again I have to say it was in fitting with the whole weekend and the staff there were again a pleasure to deal with. Although we didn't have an evening meal in the restaurant we did have the pleasure of eating there for Sunday lunch and both the starter and the main were fantastic. If your looking for a weekend break for a special occasion or simply as a treat I can't recommend this place highly enough, a huge thank you to all of the staff there and without doubt we will be visiting again soon and are already looking forward to it.

Kelly Donnelly

• Stayed June 2014
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
I am so glad that you both really enjoyed your time with us, and wonderful to hear that you found us to be the best hotel you've ever stayed at (very kind. Thank you ever so much!). I'm pleased that we helped you both make your special celebration extra special (congratulations, once again, by the way!)

It will be my absolute pleasure to pass your message of thanks on to the team, and it's lovely to hear that we looked after you so well... it sounds like we really achieved what we set out to: for you to relax in a home from home environment, almost like staying at an old friend's. You are completely right in saying how we all seem quite happy in our work... imagine being in this gorgeous environment five days a week and it's easy to see why! Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experiences with others and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 25 in Falmouth
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#2 of 6 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!