“Simply stunning...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Simply stunning...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I love this hotel… If you want serenity and relaxation , then The Scarlet delivers. This was our second visit and we were not disappointed, leaving suitably chilled and rejuvenated once again.

With its breathtaking sea views, stunning decor and delicious food - you cannot fail to be impressed. And what makes it even more special is the understated but exceptional service - the staff really seem to enjoy working at The Scarlet.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to my next visit and spa session :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you so much for telling others about your experience with us, and it's so nice to see that we've really left a lasting impression on you again! You're right in saying that we all enjoy working here... this view and these surroundings every day and it's hard not to!

Once again, it's really nice to see that you were thinking of us six months after your last stay. I hope that you'll be back again soon in the spa and hotel... we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Fantastic 2 night break at the Scarlet last week. The setting is amazing, the service is first class, the rooms are blissful and the food and drink are superb! It really is the most relaxing place. OK the weather was perfect during our stay, which helps, and the sunsets alone were worth the visit. We dined on the terrace both evenings and had some of the best food we've eaten in a long while. The cliff top hot tub is a must, with the obligatory glass of champagne, although the Seaweed copper bath was a little underwhelming. Felt completely refreshed after 3 days here, which was probably enough, as we needed a change from the the hushed tones and chilled atmosphere by then! Oh yes, the breakfast is the best I think I've had. Perfectly cooked, uncomplicated and so tasty. Only one minor negative; the car park is way too small, but hey.

Room Tip: Cloister Garden rooms have great sea view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thanks for kindly going to the effort of telling others about your time with us, and I'm so glad that you had a fantastic, time, leaving us nice and relaxed and refreshed by the sounds of it! I will certainly pass your feedback on to the food and beverage manager, as well as the head chef regarding our food and drink being superb, and the breakfast being the best you've had. Its lovely to hear that you also found the service to be first class!

Thank you for your feedback with regards to our new copper tub. We are always looking to improve so if you do have any suggestions on how we can make it better please do let me know. I agree that our car park is a little 'cosy'. We have addressed this with a valet service, so that guests can just hand the keys over and have a glass of wine whilst we take care of the three point turns, so please do take advantage of it on your next visit. It's wonderful to hear that you did enjoy the hot tub so much... I have to admit that it's one of my favourite spots. And of course, The Mawgan Porth sunset is quite something else. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it from the terrace.

Thank you once again. I do hope that we see you again next summer if not sooner!
Wakefield
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Ny husband and I went to meet friends there and to have a look around We had a guided tour of the hotel and it had a wonderful feeling of peace and tranquility. The staff were very friendly. The hotel was unlike any we have ever visited. It is very eco friendly. There is an outside reed swimming pool which looked very inviting, a beautiful terrace for a drink, a dining terrace and little areas for relaxing and sunbathing. The lunch we had was absolutely delicious - I had brill and then chocolate cremeaux, both of which exceeded expectations. The views over Mawgan Porth beach are spectacular. Cannot wait to stay there sometime in the near future!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thanks for popping in for lunch whilst down in Mawgan Porth, Christine. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit. The chocolate creameux is definitely one of my personal favourites... so rich and indulgent, like heaven on a plate! I do hope that you'll be back to visit us very soon (if we didn't take your details during the tour, please feel free to sign up to our mailing list on our website, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter. We often share recipes (food and spa related) and gorgeous photos of the view to give everybody a nice little Scarlet fix whilst back at home at their desks. Worth a look!

You taking the time to tell others about your experience is really appreciated. Thanks once again, and we hope to see you back here again soon!
London
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Love this hotel! Breathtaking setting. Great staff. Lovely food. Although fairly pricy, it is the perfect place to unwind and relax. Love the steam room and outdoor natural plunge pool. Look forward to returning!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angioli
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review, and I'm so happy that you fell in love with us. I agree that the natural pool is certainly bracing (especially in February when you stayed), and perfect for a dip in after the hot tub or steam room (or even as an exhilarating early morning wake up, as Nikki, our brave GM enjoys!)

Thank you once again. I'm glad that you are looking forward to returning to us in the future and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently returned for a 5 night break at the end of a business trip in the area
The hotel is fantastic in every aspect and the weather during our stay was perfect. The staff however take the place to another level. Nothing is too much trouble their attentiveness is natural and not forced. We dined in the restaurant the first night and then tried to book 48hours in advance for the Sat night. The staff member told us that the restaurant was already full which we would have fully accepted. Without prompting she offered to set up a table on our room balcony and serve us there. We had a great meal watching the sun setting over the bay. This 'can do' attitude sets the Scarlett apart. We will be back, thank you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review, and I'm so pleased that you had a wonderful time (particularly after a business trip to the area... what a fabulous way to unwind!)

It was so kind of you to take the time to write such high accolade for the team. I will really enjoy passing on your praise to the team (I agree that they really make it what this place is!). How lovely that you had dinner on your balcony as well... Nothing quite as romantic as a candlelit dinner watching the sun set. Lovely to hear that you're hoping to return, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Maybe it's an age thing but my senses took an hour or two to adjust themselves to the scarlet. Having arrived from a very traditional hotel, the scarlet is attempting to be anything but traditional. No reception desk, just a BB camera and a sofa. Your'host' takes you to your room. We stayed on the top floor and what a view. Beautiful room and fresh tea or coffee delivered free on request any time of day.
Fantastic areas to relax in and very good food in Both the restaurants. Breakfast is a non buffet affair with a different menu each day, but this still allows for early morning gluttony! Facilities are terrific. The outdoor natural pond is a challenge as it is un heated but fascinating, the indoor pool is luxurious and very serene.
The spa offers 'journeys' which include a huge range of therapies. We tried the rahsoul which is not to be missed if you like a good mud fight. We also tried the cliff top hot tub which was fine but not worth £20.
The scarlet is definitely one to try but be aware that the focus is on the younger client group whose expectations of pampering are not perhaps those of the over 50's. the staff can seem a little aloof and a tad pre occupied but most were friendly and happy to oblige albeit without much of a sense of humour.
Expensive stay but overall worth the money and a very different experience.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view and feeling of a room by the sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guernsey50
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I am so glad that you relaxed and had a fantastic time with us. I agree that the rhassoul is definitely a 'must try'. Such fun, and also a wonderful treat for the muscles and skin. It sounds like you had a lovely time with us and that the experience was different, but in a good, luxurious way!

With regards to our service, I was so disappointed to read that you found some to be aloof, for example. This is absolutely not our intention at all (anything but, in fact!), and I will certainly feed that back to the team. If you do have any other feedback at all please do email at erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here, and I do hope that you'll be back again very soon!
Zürich
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed for five nights at the Scarlet in June 2014 and we were a little disappointed.
First the good:
- Superb setting with an unbeatable view.
- very nice staff
- clean

Now about the disappointments:
- we ate three times at the scarlet. It is way off the beaten track and we found it uncomfortable to use the car to go to many other places. One time the food was great, the other two it was bland and uninspired. The kitchen has a very strong tendency towards English food.
- We visited the SPA once. The rassoul was really hurried. The timing on the system was such, that every time you were ready to lean back and start to relax the machine rushed you to the next step. The massage, even though we clearly communicated that we want to loosen stiff muscles, was very soft and did not achieve the desired effect.
- The room was spacious and looked good. Unfortunately it is all about design and not about function. Using a make up mirror to shave because a real mirror is missing. Making a lot floor wet because the shower wall is too small.
- The entire hotel is about service. There is nothing you can do yourself: No coffee or tea in the room. No minibar. You always have to pick up the phone.
- Breakfast is service only as well. You get the fruits the cook wants you to have and not those you prefer. No choosing your cereal or cheese or meats.
- The dining area has a floor that is in such bad repair that even a child walking by will shake you so badly as if you were sitting in small boat.

We do not intend to return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mopd
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your views of the Scarlet. I was very sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations and was not entirely to your taste. I will certainly take back your feedback to the relevant departments in order to learn from it. We have time together dedicated to finding ways to move forward, so I will certainly raise your points.

I do agree that we are all about service here and it's something that we are quite proud of. However, we can always provide a hospitality tray should a guest prefer that to us providing fresh brewed tea and coffee. Just a quick call to reception and the hosts will be happy to provide one. Likewise, if we do have a different dish available to those on the three course breakfast or dinner menu (so, for example, if a fruit is in season, available locally, and in the kitchen) we will absolutely try to change the menu to suit tastes where possible, and with notice we will always strive to get something in especially. I am so sorry if this was not something that you were entirely aware of on your visit as had we known, we certainly would have tried to make things better for you, and always welcome the feedback. Again, I will pass this feedback to the teams.

If you could spare the time and would like to discuss your experience further, please could you email me erica.lappin@scarlethotel.co.uk and I will call when convenient to you. Thank you once again and I do hope that you had a safe and pleasant onward journey.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#2 of 5 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!