“The hot tub alone was worth the stay!”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Combe Martin, England, United Kingdom
“The hot tub alone was worth the stay!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing two day break at the Scarlet. Our room had breathtaking views of the bay and the outdoor natural swimming pool. The bed was sooo comfortable and I know want a bath in the middle of my bedroom!

The meal we had in the restaurant was outstanding. We also enjoyed their anytime lunch menu and breakfasts.

The beach is very easy to reach and the hotel were very happy to store our surfboards. Hard to drag yourself away from the wonderful pools and spa facilities though! If you book nothing else book the hot crib for an evening slot and watch the sunset on the sea whilst enjoying a glass of excellent Cornish fizz!

We will most definitely be returning! Thank you Scarlet for a wonderfully relaxing and reviving break!

• Stayed July 2014
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the hot tub so much... marvellous to relax in after a surf (I do hope there were waves during your stay. Perfect being able to pick up your board and run to the beach from your room) or just to top off a day of pampering. It's also wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the Camel Valley fizz (how lucky are we to have such a first class, award winning winery on our doorstep?!)

It's lovely to hear that you're definitely returning. Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. We'll see you again very soon, we hope!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

You drive down to this child friendly hotel and are immediately impressed.

There is no set reception just a beautiful lobby with spectacular sea views. Greeted by friendly staff check in was easy and stress free
The room we stayed in was indulgent:- lived up to its name that's all I need to say. The pictures on line don't do the rooms justice in real life.
We ate at the restaurant every evening we stayed and the food was fantastic especially the fresh sea food, John Dory was fantastic

The hot tubs on the cliff with a glass of champers is a must

An amazing hotel which after a review in the times, unfortunately put there prices up and now charge you for the hot tub as opposed to it previously being complimentary.
You pay a lot but get a truly wonderful stay.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Paul K
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you ever so much for your review (although I believe that you may have written 'child friendly' instead of 'friendly, child free', as, as you know, we are an adult-only haven here.)

I'm so glad that we impressed you from the minute that you arrived, and that you have a truly wonderful stay. Tom Hunter, our head chef, absolutely adores seafood, and due to an amazing relationship with the best local suppliers we really do get the best, freshest catch of the day... and of, course, every day is different. I agree that the indulgent rooms really are just that, and the views from the balconies just really top it off. Nothing quite like watching the sunset from the balcony, or hot tub, with a glass of fizz.

I will pass your thoughts on to the team. Thank you once again. We do hope to see you again in the future.
somerset
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed in a Unique Room for two nights on a B&B basis. I will break the review down into sections! :

Hotel setting: The hotel has a fabulous setting overlooking the beach and you can walk from the hotel directly onto the beach. There are various rooms where you can relax and most offer a lovely view. We particularly enjoyed the terrace as the weather was glorious. The hotel is modern and has some interesting art work displayed, it never felt crowded and the emphasis is definitely on relaxation. The bar area is fairly small but there are other rooms you can sit and enjoy and drink.

Our room: The room was spotlessly clean and the bed very comfortable, it even had mood lighting! The room does not offer tea and coffee facilities, however you can order this whenever you want and it is complimentary. The few times we requested drinks they arrived at lightening speed. It would of been nice if morning drinks came with a few biscuits, although I am sure you could order this If wiling to pay, I feel that given the cost of the room they should be included. The room is VERY open plan, so you need to feel comfortable taking a shower with no door!! Also the bath is freestanding in the room, I do believe they offer privacy screens if requested. The room was lacking an iPod and the TV was very small but the toiletries were lovely. The main feature of this room apparently is the small room up the stairs, the small room has a sofa and there is no terrace or balcony just a large window and if you sit down the view isn't really that great. We also found it very hot so consequently didn't sit up there, so we would probably stay in a different room if we returned.

Food: We enjoyed our meals, particularly breakfast that was cooked to perfection. Our evening meal was very good, although my husband preferred the meal we ate at Jamies fifteen restaurant. We also felt that the tables on the top floor we too close together, so you could not really have a private conversation. You can eat from their " anytime anywhere" menu, which means just that! The egg sandwich was amazing and the cured meats very good. We did have afternoon tea instead of lunch one day and found this to be poor value for money. Whilst the cakes and sandwich were all very nice, it was not worth the £50 we paid for it.

Spa: We had the 1 hour short journey massage which was very relaxing and my therapist , Charmine, was very good. Charmine also did my seaweed facial which once again was superb. The spa is one of the nicest I have experienced and would highly recommend that you book yourself a treatment. The hot tubs are great, it doesn't get much better than a glass of bubbly in the hot tub whilst overlooking the beach. The indoor pool is very pleasant, the outdoor pool was very cold and apparently also homes to frogs due to the 'Eco' design.

The hotel is definitely not cheap to stay in or eat/drink, however it is very nice and the staff are all very eager to please and very pleasant. We will hopefully return again, when in need of some R&R.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarah075
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience here, and I do hope that you left us feeling much more relaxed and refreshed (it's hard not to, as you mentioned, with the setting we are blessed with here. I assure you, even though we see it every single day here it never gets boring or 'normal'. In fact Meeche, our Food and Beverage manager, loves it so much that I don't think a day goes by without her going out to take a photo or two to share on our Facebook and Twitter pages. I'd really recommend following them both for a little sun and sea fix... they really do apparently help on a grey day in an office!

I shall pass all of your comments and feedback to the teams here (with a special message for Charmaine). We really welcome your comments, which help us continue to get even better. It's wonderful to hear that you're hoping to return for another restful break in the future, so we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Padstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was not how I felt when I arrived.. I had lost my two for one voucher for the restaurant somewhere en route and was in melt down. The staff could not have been kinder and immediately reassured me they would honour the invisible voucher. A delicious meal and I left feeling calm and serene. Thank you, Scarlet!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane M
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
It's so lovely to read this! You arrived so stressed (not often I say hello and am answered with "Hello, I'm having a melt down") so it was lovely to be able to see you visibly relax and go on to have a wonderful time... And your guardian angel comment made our day, so thank you very much!
We really appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your time here, and we hope to see you back here again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Excellent review after excellent review.... you can't go wrong really. The Scarlet Hotel is exactly what it sets out to be. An escape from real life, an experience of peace and tranquillity, a delightful luxury home away from home. I have wanted to stay here ever since it was going up and I finally found an excuse to part with a not insignificant amount of cash to allow us to spend 2 nights here.

So I won't waste more time waxing lyrical about how beautiful it is.. others have already done that.

Some things that may be more note worthy

1) Lack of reception.. it feels wrong but actually works just as well.

2) Breakfast. I understand the ethos but just not sure it's what every customer wants. Perhaps the staff at breakfast could make it more clear that if you want something that is a little off menu then it could be possible.

3) If you can.. stay in a unique room. It's worth a little extra for the gorgeous view from your "pod" on the ceiling.

4) Ask for a hospitality tray rather than griping about there not being tea and coffee in your room. I did and was surprised with a cafetiere, good fresh ground coffee, milk in a flask.. which brings me on to

5) No fridge in the room... it wasn't a major deal ultimately.

6) If, like us, you're permanently glued to a million different communication devices be prepared for a forced shut down.... no signal.. I mean no signal on anything. Wifi works in the room but not outside the hotel so no working in the sunshine. It might be just what the doctor ordered but just sometimes our addictions are hard to give up.

7) Pool table: some pool cues would have been even better :-)

A lovely, perfect break and I can't wait for another excuse for a grown up treat.

Room Tip: Unique rooms have the view of the sea from a pod on the roof
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMuk
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
How lovely that you found the perfect opportunity to visit us at last. I'm so glad that we lived up to your expectations and gave you that lovely escape from real life that we all deserve from time to time! Peace and tranquility is always good, and I hope you left us feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review. It's wonderful to hear that you liked our reception. We just felt that checking in would feel so nice sat on a plump sofa with a cup of coffee (especially after a long drive) and that it just helps create the home from home atmosphere that we're really aiming for. You're absolutely right in saying that we will cater off-menu if we can, and I will feed that back to the team that some guests may not be aware of this. We also do provide a hospitality tray for people who prefer (though of course we are still available to bring up a pot if, for example, you're like me and simply can't get out of bed without a cup being made for you in the morning ) We did make a conscious decision to steer away from fridges in rooms due to their environmental impact (they also can have rather an annoying buzz). We will gladly hold anything that requires chilling for guests. There's also nothing quite as underwhelming as drinking a favourite wine from a hotel room tumbler, so we will, of course, also provide ice buckets, flutes, etc, and everything to make it as special as possible.

Thank you once again. It will be a pleasure to read your comments out to the team. It's wonderful to hear that you're already looking for the perfect excuse to return. I hope it won't be too long!
NEWQUAY
Reviewed 7 July 2014

WE have stayed in many hotels and I will just say that Scarlet Hotel is absolutely fantastic. In every way...clean, comfortable, friendly staff, wonderful food...and the view of the ocean is just breathtaking.loved the view and the spa also the food and staff were amazing.. amazing location and it is a fabulous building. Cliff top hot tub experience awesome .we will visit again FOR SURE

Room Tip: Car parking can be a bit of a problem
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank COUPLENewquay
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell others about your experiences here. I'm so glad that you had an absolutely fantastic time (and I'm so pleased you loved the view - we're rather find of it ourselves! It really is breathtaking, and changes so dramatically from season to season - so always a perfect reason to come back). It's wonderful to hear that you're definitely coming back to us. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon... hot tubs fired up and ready!
London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

When initially coming to choose a hotel for our Honeymoon break at the beginning of July, we spent hours scouring through Trip Advisor reviews, Abercrombie hotels, speaking to previous honeymooners and I got recommendations from Venice to the Maldives. During a conversation with my Mum about how we wanted a hassle-free time, no airport and a sunshine but tourist-free break on the Cornish coast, my Mum spoke about a fantastic hotel called The Scarlet which one of her friends had stayed at for her 60th birthday. "Eco-luxuary" - near Padstow and Watergate Bay, but away from the crowds....sounded spot on. Upon arriving at this incredible hotel, we had high expectations from other reviews. We pulled up, handed our keys over to the Valet parking assistant who was so warm and welcoming (like arriving at someone's lovely house) and my new husband realised that he had forgotten my suitcase when he packed up the car. The Scarlet staff immediately went out of their way to let us use their phone to call home, brought us some delightful cakes and warm pot of tea, before my husband set off again back on another 5 hour trek up and down the country. Feeling sorry for me, they offered me a complimentary copper bath (which was an experience which can only be described as heaven) where I was able to relax in splendour for an hour. The staff made every effort to lift me out of my upset and stress (being alone in your Honeymoon suite day 1 after marriage is very depressing!) and the delightful lady in the Spa showed me to the relaxation room stating "you're with us now, time to de-stress, we don't do stress here". What a joy to hear!! :-) After more herbal tea, I adjusted our dinner booking for my hubby's return (again, nothing they will not do to accommodate you) and awaited his return. Dinner came complete with a view of the ocean, smiley and friendly staff who you feel you have known a lifetime and they even wrote "Congratulations" on our beautiful dessert which tasted an divine as it looked. The next 2 days passed in a flash - in a similar fashion. The Scarlet went above and beyond to help us, accommodate us (whether it was printing maps, lending beach towels - whatever the request) and after a DISASTROUS start, I never thought such an outstanding Honeymoon could be had....how wrong I could be. Thank you to everyone at The Scarlet - you will never know what a difference you made to our first few days as Mr and Mrs. We will be coming again for sure! :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hi Laura,

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and kind review of your time with us, and I’m ever so glad to see that we managed to help you relax after, shall we say, a difficult start. I can empathise slightly with your situation… Although it wasn’t an occasion anywhere near as special as a honeymoon, my partner actually got so excited to be leaving for a holiday that he forgot to pick ME up enroute! Awful!

I’m so glad that we helped to get you calmer, happier and in a much better place to actually start your honeymoon and married life (Rachael was delighted that you loved the copper tub – it’s one of her favourite little bit of luxuries here, and she swears by it for its utter relaxing and restorative qualities!), and it’s wonderful to read that you had what it sounds like a magical time. It was an absolute pleasure to help to make your honeymoon extra special, and thank you so much for choosing to spend such a romantic celebration with us. Congratulations and warmest wishes to you both from all of us here at The Scarlet. We look forward to see you both in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 23 in Falmouth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!