“A place to recharge your inner soul”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you are looking for a place to recharge your batteries then this is it.
The facilities are excellent
Try the Hot Tub experience and Tri Dosha Consultation to understand what makes your body work or not as the case may be.
The staff never say No and are always on hand but not in your face.
I will return

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

It's lovely to hear that you are planning to return. I agree with the fact that the hot tub is a must... In fact I think that's your review has persuaded me to end my week with one this evening as a treat, so thank you for the inspiration!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family have absolutely fallen in LOVE with the Scarlett including my lil man Rigby, ( our black miniature schnauzer!!) We had a nightmare of a journey- 8hours from London to be greeted with that beautiful setting as you walk into reception blew all the worries away! WOW! We were booked in for 6 nights.

The Scarlett was perfect in ever single way. My fiance and I stayed in a Just Right room and my parents stayed in an indulgent room. Every where was accessible to my mum as she is unfortunately in a wheelchair. The staff were incredibly helpful! Anything we ordered to the room was there in literally seconds! They helped in every way they could to cater for my mums needs. The only fault staffing wise was as we had our dog with us we couldn't sit in the main restaurant we would have to eat in one of the beautiful lounges- so when we wanted to order food 9 times out of 10 we would have to go off to find someone and the service could be slow at times.... and once I didn't receive my drink I had ordered.

The grounds and beach were absolutely breath taking..... my family have not had a break away from home for a few years due to my mums ill health and the Scarlet finally made this possible for us, and we will definitely be returning! Especially since I get woken up by Rigby every morning now with eyes saying to me " Mummy, when are we going to the beach??!!!"

The Spa was also amazing and the staff were a delight! <3

The only negative experience was the bill!!!! heheh

I cannot wait to return and definitely recommend you guys!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank emmanny24
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thanks for sharing your thoughts (and also, for recommending us!). I am so pleased that you all finally had such a deserved break, and also that Rigby fell in love with us as much as we did him. I'll, of course, pass your comments on to the team, and we will certainly have a look at moving forwards with regards to the retreat service, as well. I'm guessing, by your review, that you will be coming back quite soon... Until then, maybe find us on Facebook if you ever would like a quick photo fix of the beach - always invokes such lovely memories, I find. Warm wishes to you all, and thanks once again.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed for two nights 2/3rd of August, arriving somewhat jaded after an enjoyable but exhausting week with grandchildren.
What a blissful place the Scarlet is, everything about it is geared to encourage grown up relaxation. The use of natural materials around the hotel and the artwork seems to have a very calming effect. We had a Just Right room which was indeed just right with a fabulous view of the ocean.
Breakfasts and dinners were excellent and the service attentive and professional.
Some reviewers are not happy about the lack of tea coffee making facilities in the room but we found a telephone call to reception was followed by a very quick room service with 'proper' tea in a proper teapot much nicer than mucky trays and tea bags!
The spa is the best I have visited and I had a great massage - thank you Emily.
All in all we could not fault it and we certainly will return.

Room Tip: We recomend a just right room with balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine K
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

You certainly deserved a treat after the week you'd had from what I remember! I'm glad you had a lovely time, and hope you left us feeling recharged and revived. I've passed on your kind comments to Emily, thank you very much. It's also nice to hear that you're a fan of a good old fashioned 'proper cup of tea', as we all are here. Although we will provide a hospitality tray if asked, we do believe that a nice, freshly brewed pot from the tea menu is just something else. Great to hear that you're definitely returning. We'll have the tea pot warmed and ready!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The first time we visited The Scarlet, in 2011, we were blown away with how fantastic it was. Every visit since we've enjoyed it but started to notice that some elements are pretty poor for the money. We have stopped eating at the restaurant as the quality is only average and the restaurant itself lets it down - go to Jamie's Fifteen instead or the Seafood Restaurant. The salad that accompanied the sandwiches at lunch was slimy, the scones for the Cornish Cream Tea under done and gooey - not good enough, especially for the price. At breakfast it was clear they had forgotten our main dish - we just gave up and left in the end! The Spacious rooms are certainly spacious but seem to be lacking something - starting to look worn too.
The Spa however is as fabulous as ever - the one thing that will ensure we will always go back - it never fails to sooth and relax.

Room Tip: Have not stayed in the Just Right rooms but will give them a go next time
6  Thank muffin00
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Ouch! I cannot pretend that I enjoyed reading this review, though I'm glad you brought it to our attention. It's so disappointing to read that your most recent time with us did not meet our usual high standards, and as a result. we would really appreciate having a chat to you in order to understand your experience further and to learn as much as possible from it. If you could email Peter, our restaurant manager, at peter.dewing@scarlethotel.co.uk with the best number to contact you on, he would be really grateful. I do feel heartened that you still really enjoyed our spa, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel comes with a stress free promise! The whole website exudes the benefits of the laid back nature of this establishment.
We arrived for a long weekend after a long motorway journey (5 hours) and were we stressed?
It took less than 5 minutes to get over the 5 hours.
The reception was wonderful: no counter; no queueing, just sit down and relax.
We had booked one of the more expensive rooms, a bit quirky with bath in the bedroom and a walk in shower as well. The room opened onto a lovely, intimate, patio garden.
We ate dinner in the restaurant each night and although the menu was small it changed daily and the food was above excellent. Nice wines at sensible prices.
Throughout the stay all the staff excelled and we couldn't single out any one of them.
Any downsides? Well if you are a smoker you are not over catered for and you need to go outside the hotel.
The cost of our stay including breakfast, dinner and all drinks and incidentals came to around £1700 which may be a lot for some people but worked out at around £12 per hour, as the average cost of a stress therapist is about £80 per hour I think we got a good deal.
Just waiting for my stress level to go up so I can hurry back.

Room Tip: unique Rooms have patio garden.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

It certainly sounds like you left us with much lighter shoulders than when you first arrived, and it sounds like we were just what the doctor ordered. I would absolutely agree with your prescription of more stays in the future, though I would advise that you shouldn't wait for those stress levels to rise too much, and should definitely come back for a special celebration or even just a treat before then! See you soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Revisited on 27 th July.While the hotel retains a lot of its charm eg it,s tranquillity,location, nicely appointed rooms etc,We were disappointed by the choice and quality of the food at dinner,compared to our last visit.Some of the restaurant staff seemed a little confused at times.Considering the cost of our stay,you expect the food to blow your socks off,but it didn,t.

Room Tip: The hotel was quiet except for the dog which barked from about 7:am.not sure if it was the hotel dog...
4  Thank dustygloweth

I am disappointed to read that you left us feeling this way. Peter, our restaurant manager would really welcome the chance to understand your experience further. If you could email him at peter.dewing@scarlethotel.co.uk with a contact number and a convenient time to call we would be ever so grateful.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Saturday 2 August, I took my daughter for a treat, as she lives in Cornwall and I was visiting.
When reserving our table advised hotel I was vegan and on arrival I had a menu which had as many selections as the vegetarian menu my daughter had.
Our meal was excellent and for once I did not feel as if I was an after thought where they make you feel odd or a nuisance.
Meal was not cheap, but quality as they source local and organic food made up for this.
Very enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

IWe feel really passionate about catering for 'free from' diets thoughtfully and creatively here, so it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your menu. I'll really enjoy passing your feedback on to Tom and the restaurant team. Thanks, and please don't be a stranger next time you're down visiting your daughter.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!