“exquisite”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“exquisite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I just can't say enough about the scarlet Hotel. The hotel is based on relaxation and it does things slightly differently to other 5 star hotels. The staff are friendly and will chat with you. There is no reception desk so a member of staff will come out to greet you and book you in. The atmosphere is that of a boutique hotel with quirky art all around, some of which is for sale. The furniture is not the usual arm chairs etc. yes they have three lounges, all set out differently and furnished beautifully.
There are different types of room you can have from spacious rooms, pod rooms; these give you a view of the sea from a pod on top of your room. We have been very happy with the 'just right' rooms. They are large enough for 2, clean, comfortable and at the cloister level have the most spectacular views of the beach and rocks of Mawgan Porth. Luckily for us the wind was coming off of the sea so some of the weather we had was superb, i.e. wind, rain and crashing seas.
The scarlet has 2 pools one outside and one in. there is a beautiful spa there where, if you have a treatment, I recommend you do is exquisite. Many times I have fallen asleep. You can book a hot tub outside and that usually comes with a glass of bubbly.
The restaurant is very good. Not only does it have spectacular views but also very good food. We had to complement the chief on several occasions. The waiting staff cannot do enough for you, they are not intrusive but appear to know when to come and collect the empty plates. All of the food is locally sourced and most of the wine and some spirits are local to.
If you want to get away from all the hustle and bustle of daily life go to the Scarlet. It is an adult only hotel and is there for you to relax and wind down. The Scarlet caters for disabled guests and has all the facilities required.
The Scarlet is also an Eco Hotel where grey water is used to flush toilets and the rooms have recirculated air in them that is taken from the hot places in the hotel and sent to the cooler parts. Air conditioning is not required you just have to open the enormous sliding door and you get natural air con.
Well all I can do now is say a very big thank you to all of the staff, those you don't see and those you do. I want to thank Nikki, General Manager, and the rest of her management team for making our stay so calm and relaxing. Nikki has a section in the hotel book saying that if they can make something happen they will. Well, I think I would like a ride across the beach on a pink elephant next time I am there. Thank you all!!

Room Tip: The hotel is dog friendly so take the dog for some pampering. Also the best views are from the rooms...
Green Features: The Scarlet is an eco friendly hotel, using grey water for toilets, and all of the rubbish is sorted for recycling on site. The air flow through the hotel is natural and efficient.
2 Thank Stephen H
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and detailed review. I know that Nikki has already read it , and I'm about to communicate it to the rest of the team. It was a pleasure to see you both again, and lovely to hear that we still hold that special place in your hearts. Well, must dash - phonecalls to suppliers to make... surely a pink elephant can't be that difficult to find before your christmas stay?!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This quirky, stylish adults only hotel is a real haven of peace, tranquillity and relaxation. If you believe life is for living, then an indulgent few days escape to The Scarlet will surely restore your
wellbeing. From its truly stunning cliff top location overlooking the Atlantic ocean, delicious food and outstanding spa facilities to its striking architectural style, this is a retreat that stands apart in every sense.
For our 4-day break my wife and I had a spacious Just Right double room, complete with open plan bathroom, on the coastal garden level which gave us great views and immediate cliff top access through the hotel's gardens. We pre-booked a Hammam spa treatment for the first
afternoon shortly after our scheduled arrival and it proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing experience. The following day we had a cliff top hot tub which in itself was an experience to remember - no doubt helped by a glass of champagne! During our stay my wife also had a TriDosha facial which she described as one of the best she had ever had. It must be
said that the spa facilities and range of treatments as well, of course, as the staff make the Scarlet Spa a world away from the usual hotel beauty offerings. In our experience only bettered by the Body Holiday in St Lucia.
Speaking of the hotel staff they were all, without exception, courteous, helpful, friendly and responsive from the moment we arrived to the time we left with an entirely unprompted offer to help with our bags - that in itself is a refreshing change and deserves special mention.
The food too throughout our stay was definitely also part of our overall enjoyment; menu choice was very imaginative, beautifully served and absolutely delicious and with a comprehensive - if fairly expensive - wine list.
The Scarlet prides itself not only on its unique location, but also on the fact that it blurs the boundaries between indoors and out - we were initially a little sceptical of this claim but having now experienced the hotel for ourselves we understand that this is absolutely true. Well worth a visit and an opportunity to see a little of this wonderful coastline.

Green Features: Admire the hotel's environmentally friendly approach but still believe air conditioning in the rooms during the summer would be welcomed by the many of guests, including ourselves.
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
It sounds like you really had some 'together time', what with a couple's treatment, hot tub and dinner... romance and relaxation combined - perfect! I will really enjoy passing on your comments to the team here (I completely agree with your wife's comments with regards to the facial... just make you feel fabulous both inside and out). Thank you for your kind comments, and see you both again in the near future, hopefully!
Helston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for one night in June 2014. The service from booking, throughout the stay and until we left was brilliant. All the staff were very helpful and always on hand if you needed them. We had a just Right room on the found floor at the end of the building which was perfect. Plenty of space for two people, a really well equipped room and the view was incredible. You could see the ocean and the beach from the comfort of your bed or sat out in the sun either on your patio area or sat on one of the large comfy bean bags in the meadow. Had a couples treatment afternoon which was really good and extremely relaxing. The spa staff were very friendly, always offering drinks or asking if they could get you anything whilst you were relaxing. We made use of all the facilities available to us and they were all fantastic. We had dinner outside on the terrace and the food was very good. Visited the bar and the staff were very helpful, even in making us cocktails that weren't on the menu. Breakfast the next morning was really good, lots of choice and a great view whilst you enjoy your food. The hotels location is perfect, fantastic views out across Mawgan Porth. It is expensive, however you do get what you pay for and it is certainly worth it, looking forward to visiting again after having such great stay.

Room Tip: Chose a just right room as it was the cheapest option and I wasn't disappointed, really very nic...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a kind review... It sounds like you really made the most of your time with us, and I do hope that you left us feeling refreshed and revitalised. I'll, of course, pass your comments on to the team. They all really do enjoy creating the best experience possible, so it's always nice for them to hear that they are doing such a good job, thank you. Wonderful to hear that you are already looking forward to returning to us, so we will see you soon, no doubt!
Street, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went to the Scarlet at the end of June. It was my partners 30th, so I booked the day package 'Spend Time Together'. £150 for the both of us.

The day was incredible. The Scarlet is the ultimate in relaxation. The package included a Cliffside hot tub and Rhassoul. The nice thing about the Scarlet is that they obviously limit the numbers of visitors at a time so you feel although you have the place to yourselves at times. Food was incredible and also included with the package.

The views from the hotel finish off the whole experience there is nothing like it. We were lucky enough to visit on a sunny weekend. Attached a photo which sums up the day for us!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Wow! What a perfect birthday gift (and even more wonderful that you got to share in the pampering, too). I think that photo does sum it up perfectly - sun, sea and summertime drinks - a lovely way to see in the thirties, for sure. Thanks for your review. We're so glad you had a wonderful, special day, and hope you'll be back for plenty more in the future.
Exeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Well first up, my apologies for posting this review late. I think (from my photo dates) I stayed at The Scarlet in February 2014. To be honest, it was such a dream that at times I think I imagined the whole thing! I'm not actually kidding :) I actually attempted a review at the time, something went wrong on Tripadvisor and it was lost. It was a very long and detailed review, (as I now see this one is! Oops!) I didn't have time or inclination to re-write. I mean, they are hardly short of glowing reviews!

None the less, here's an overview of my thoughts. Staff = amazing...so sweet and kind. I told them in advance I was vegan and was offered a special menu during my two night stay. I ordered room service and tweaked - very late one evening, no problem. I was quite stunned by the care :)

Location and interiors - this is especially the dreamy part..I just loved everything about it. The underfloor heating in my room, the glorious shower, my comfy bed, the breathtaking views. It was a tough call to stay in or go out. Always a winner when the interior & exterior design can compete with Mother Nature! I travelled solo and felt at ease - in fact I was childishly, possessively - grateful! I didn't have to share this experience with anyone! Ha ha! It's "MY place" now! Ha ha! A perfect retreat for a healer.

Oh and the hot-tub under the stars, with champagne...ah! Perfect. My "host" for the experience was a sweetie..That was a real princess experience. The Yoga teacher - gorgeous. (amongst my other 'hats') I am one myself, so believe me - she was great and helped me with my 'drop-backs' after class. It was SO, so, good to be a student for a change! The first day a few of us tried to get in actually - the class was full. We were kinda gutted, having gotten up early and all! So I asked if we might use the relaxation room and I taught the group assembled! Ha ha! We had a great time. And again, the views from that space...gorgeous. I was even loaned a yoga mat for my own personal daily practice. So very considerate of the hotel - when travelling alone, by train - I didn't want to add to the weight of my case with my own mat.

I actually felt that I could've asked for anything and they would have tried to get it for me. Is that the mark of an outstanding hotel? In my book, I think yes it is. Apparently, no one ever wants to leave at the end of their stay so perhaps it's a cliche for me to say the same! I wondered why there was a couple, with such glum faces when I was checking in. I asked the lovely receptionist, fearful that the "London crowd" - 'too cool to smile', were in! (I'm a Londoner by birth myself). But no, she laughed knowingly: "Oh! They're leaving! They don't want to go!" It was really funny - and I knew exactly how they felt when my time came.

Oh and the closest beach..ah! It's like - y'know when you're flying (really) long-haul - you open your eyes somewhere over the ocean, and don't know where you are, but the sun is dazzling, the sky is vast, blue and time loses meaning, as you can't do anything but be there - yeah, it was like that. Probably because of the time of year I went.

I will SO be going back, as soon as I possibly can. I don't know if my experience could have been bettered really. The pool was also just to die for..I could've stayed in it, my whole stay - no chlorine! Next time I will have some treatments..I'm so fussy and hard to please as I'm also a therapist myself - but everything else was outstanding, I'm sure the treatments are too. Loved the calm of the spa/studio area.

So what would I change? I might have 2 glasses of champagne in the hot tub, next time! Oh and I liked the friendly locals - the surf guys; they told me it's a good place to learn.So I might do that another time! :)

Room Tip: I had a lovely tucked away room which I loved, as I value my privacy. I have a feeling they all have...
Green Features: I LOVED this example of a brand "walking their talk" - I got 10% off my stay for travelling by train. I think that's beautiful and makes me love the place even more.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ariadne R
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thanks for taking the time to repost your review (second time lucky!). I really enjoyed reading it and also sharing it with the team... And it was our absolute pleasure to have you hold the extra yoga class - it was a very kind thing for you to do, and I know that the attendees really enjoyed it.
I really hope that we'll be seeing you again this winter, if not before, for some more 'you time'. Surf lessons optional but princess experience absolutely compulsory!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is the 3rd or 4th time we've visited and I felt compelled to write a review this time as the Scarlet continues to offer an excellent experience. It's a beautifully designed eco-hotel on the Cornish coast with a great spa. Children aren't allowed and everything is focused on a relaxing experience. The food is very good as is the standard of service and general welcome. Whilst it is eco-focused it's not done in a heavy handed way. It's certainly not cheap but everything is to a vey high standard and it is a perfect escape. Good weather can't be guaranteed but that's not their fault!

Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Ah, the joys of the good old British summer. We can go from providing wellies and hot chocolate to parasols and cocktails in the blink of an eye, though, so hopefully we can cater for whatever is thrown at us! I'm really happy to hear that you find us as excellent as when you first visited. Thank you ever so much for sharing your thoughts - it will be an absolute pleasure sharing it with the team. See you again soon, I hope!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you are looking for a place to recharge your batteries then this is it.
The facilities are excellent
Try the Hot Tub experience and Tri Dosha Consultation to understand what makes your body work or not as the case may be.
The staff never say No and are always on hand but not in your face.
I will return

Green Features: Very eco friendly using local produce where possible
Erica L, Manager at The Scarlet Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
It's lovely to hear that you are planning to return. I agree with the fact that the hot tub is a must... In fact I think that's your review has persuaded me to end my week with one this evening as a treat, so thank you for the inspiration!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 24 in Falmouth
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#1 of 6 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!