“Just spent a wonderful relaxing three day...”
Review of The Scarlet Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Scarlet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Just spent a wonderful relaxing three day spa break with my partner in this superb luxury hotel. The whole complex and specially the very friendly staff encourage you to slow down and chill. We both feel totally relaxed and will definitely be back. Couldn't fault anything.

• Stayed: September 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,642)

Reviewed 6 September 2010

We've just got back from the Scarlet hotel after a one night stay to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. After umming and arring and a few good reveiws from friends we decided to splash out and book to stay.
I had a 4 hour spa journey, while David popped in for a surf on the amazing beach below. It was incredible from start to finish, felt so relaxed after and well cared for. We then had a swim it the outdoor pool which was just magical with beautiful views along the coast. After our swim we felt peckish so we ordered a cheese board from room service which came quickly and was delicious. We then had a wood fuelled hot tub on the cliff while enjoying a bit of bubbly, the waiter and fire stoker was atentative but not intrusive at all.
Our room was spacious with incredible views, it felt smart but very relaxed and had a fantastic shower.
We had booked the dinner package, which seemed to be great value compared to b&b, the food was just amazing from start to finish, especially the puddings which were to die for, and the service was perfect.
the hotel itself is desinged beautifully, with lovely hidey holes to relax in, The staff seemed to blend in to the background but were there if you needed anything.
After living in north Cornwall all my life, and this part of coast being my favourite place in the world, I am so pleased that the Scarlet shows off this beautiful part of Cornwall and amazingly, makes it even better.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We found everything excellent. Loved the room, food, staff, spa and location. It was an expensive trip for us, well worth it but will have to save for a while to allow us to go back.

Reviewed 2 September 2010

We booked The Scarlet for our wedding anniversary as a special treat. We booked to stay for 3 nights on a spa package which was a whopping £1440 including dinner for 2 nights and breakfast, this also included a spa journey (4 hours of treatment each) staying in an indulgent room.
When we arrived the check in was not as I'd expected for an exclusive hotel, the staff team appeared disorganised and more interested in settling those departing guests than those arriving. We were eventually taken to our room which was beautiful (room1) the view was amazing. The room is very open planned and spacious with a minimalist feel - perhaps a little to minimalist for such a large room. The spa was amazing, the staff were professional, knowledgeable and are a real credit to the hotel.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at The Scarlet, however I feel I must write about some of the irritating experiences that we experienced -
The Service is hit and miss, the hotel offer tea and coffee which is complimentary, however be prepared to wait, and wait and wait! We ordered team and scones, the scones arrived within 20 mins, but no tea, we waited a further 30 mins and then reminded one of the staff again, we waited and waited and then another 30mins we had to ask again - the tea finally arrived 1 hour and 40 mins after we requested it. During lunch on our last day I ordered a burger, I asked for ketchup and again had to wait for 10 mins before reminding the waitress that I had requested ketchup, the ketchup arrives 15 mins after requesting it, my burger now nearly cold and my husband nearly finished his meal.
When I originally booked the Scarlet I had requested meal times for 19.30pm, I then received a call the week before our stay to confirm the meal times, upon arrival my meal times were incorrect so I requested once again to have our evening meal at 19.30pm, I was then told that evening that I could not have that time to eat as there were too many diners in the restaurant at 19.30pm even though I had requested this time weeks beforehand. At this point I became extremely frustrated by the lack of organisation and communication within the hotel and asked to speak with a manager. The reservations manager tried to resolve my complaint but to be honest my negativity about this hotel was beginning to outweighed the positives. Just to top it all off, our turndown that evening was unbelievable, towels, robes left on the floor, the bed had not even been made. Once again I complained to the previous manager who dealt with our original complaints, she offered an apology and that was it. I was absolutely shocked.
If the scarlet is going to succeed it really does need to address the issues that they have with customer service and perhaps the staff need training on how to deal with complaints. I was offered absolutely nothing to compensate our unnecessary experiences and we left feeling more stressed than when we arrived. There is a clear lack of leadership at this hotel and this is completely reflected in the staff teams performance. A very disappointing 3 days away which was meant to be a relaxing time for my husband I to spend quality time together.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honeymoonplymouth
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We generally enjoyed our two night stay at the Scarlet. The other reviews do justice to what is right about it, so I won't harp on about the amazing view etc, however I will mention a few things that prevented it from being the top experience we'd hoped for.

We were bumped from our original booking of an Unique Room to a Just Right room a couple of days after making the booking online. We found the Just Right to be on the small side with only a standard double bed. When you sleep in a kingsize at home it is always a pain to slum it in a small one on holiday and pay a vast amount for the privilige -had i realised this when they called me I would have cancelled the booking at that point. The room was well appointed but lacked basic bathroom privacy (not a problem for us, but maybe not "first mini break together" material!!) and although we had a good powerful shower, the space given to this was too small and so we were wading around somewhat. I am sure we would have been much happier in a more spacious room so we were annoyed that our original online booking was not honoured.

We were surprised by how little information there was for guests about the hotel and its eco credentials - maybe we missed it somewhere or it was missing from our room but we left non the wiser which was a shame as we are genuinely interested in this and felt it a missed opportunity. The more you know about a place, the more you connect with it whilst you are staying there.

The concierge service was very weak. Very little info provided on activities in the local area and (the albeit very smiley and friendly) staff had not much clue when asked questions and always seemed rushed off their feet. We had to sort out our own mountain bikes from Padstow and ask the local taxi driver for advice on a place to have a pre dinner drink at Fifteen (brilliant by the way - but book in advance!)

We both had very enjoyable Spa treatments whilst there, however it was a shame that there was a very loud and talkative member of staff in the reception that rather detracted from what should be a serene and relaxed atmosphere.

There are lots of beautiful spaces in the hotel to spend time in and relax outside of your room however nobody doing the occaisional round to see if you are OK for a drink or anything. Our experience was that to get a drink you had to go and wait around at the bar (often several floors from where you're hanging out) and wait for a bar server to come along...a slighly more service orientated approach would have been appreciated.

On our second morning we were seated in the mezzanine to the main restaurant as it was busy - being up there meant we were out of sight and therefore out of mind as we had to wait for ages and then keep on reminding the waitress to bring us up the various items that were missing from our table. Not a very relaxing way to spend breakfast when you're contantly trying to catch somebody's eye - the table next to us were having the same problem.

The hotel booked us several taxis during our stay with their preferred supplier Bio Taxis - totally get why they would use them being on brand etc with the eco creds, but be aware that they charge at much higher rates that the standard "Padstow Taxis"....At least £10 more expensive to get back from Padstow after 11pm (when they put their rates up to cunningly capture the "out for dinner" crowd). We personally think that the hotel should make this clear before making the booking on your behalf so that people can make their own choice on this.

All the above will sound like real nit picking I am sure (please read my other reviews on this site - i am not usually so critical)...and in a £150 a night hotel you would never even mention these things - but we were paying £290 a night (for the smallest room, others would be paying considerably more) so we expect service to be spot on at these prices as it is in other hotels of this price range. It is all so frustratingly nearly right ...If these aspects could be improved on it would be a spectacular place to stay.

1  Thank TKDJ
Reviewed 30 August 2010

There are many things to love about this hotel. The beautiful views from the rooms. The lovely spa. The friendly service. The environmental credentials. The good food. And before I mention the niggles I'ld like to say that I would definitely return to it.

The niggle for me is that its a little clinical in places and lacks a little charm. Despite its eco-credentials and its lovely art some of the public spaces just aren't quite cosy enough and feel a little austere. The bar for example feels like it wouldn't be out of place as the exec lounge in an airport whilst our room was very nice but could have done with a bit more colour. Then there was the rather odd relaxation room with its somewhat random pit full of beanbags.

Put that to one side tho and this is a lovely hotel. I know some people have complained about the service but overall we found it fantastic. The food was lovely. I am gluten intolerant and they always made alternatives available for me.

So overall this a great hotel, and the best I have stayed in in Cornwall, but for me its not an amazing hotel.

H

Reviewed 27 August 2010

went out for a drink to celebrate our daughter getting into university!! thought we'd spoil her with a nice cocktail at a top 4* hotel!! asked for wine list, did not have cocktails in it although had all their other drinks!! small cocktail list was on bar!! did not have pina colada which is a very easy cocktail to make up, but said did not have ingredients!! so we settled for a bloody mary, a kier royale & a sweet wine off their wine list!! no problems there!but if you expected waitress table service it was very lacking!! two of us had finished our drinks & were signalling the bar to get attention , but we got beaten by the other guests that got up & went to the bar!! we tried for a second round of drinks after finally attracting someones attention. unfortunately they couldn't do southern comfort & lemonade!! so we decided enough was enough & called it a night!! don't get me wrong the hotel was stunning, design & view s wise but unfortunately the service really let it down!! we are locals & won't be using it again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
The Idle Rocks
The Idle Rocks
#1 of 5 in St Mawes

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!