“Best meal ever”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Our son, daughter and her partner recently treated my husband and I to a meal in the Herring for our wedding anniversary ( they had also treated us to a stay at the Scarlet hotel - for couples which was amazing)
I just had to post a comment on trip advisor as it was the best meal we have ever had
We are good cooks ourselves and sometimes it’s hard to have a meal out without thinking we could have produced the same quality meal ourselves, however the meal we had at the Herring was in a totally different league
From start to finish all the staff were exceptional, as was the meal, Stuart Cobb, Lauren and Toby who produced our meal, produced an outstanding meal from start to finish, all our meal including the fish, from the monkfish, oysters,turbot,scallop to the red mullet was the freshest we have ever tasted, the word fusion can be used too much these days, but our meal was a fusion of flavours and textures that were amazing, each mouthful went from one flavour to the next so delicately that you could taste each individual ingredient
The Herring are very lucky to have such exceptionally talented staff, if you’re staying at the Bedruthen steps Hotel where the Herring is situated or the Scarlet which is very close by, or you’re just visiting the area, make sure you have a meal at the Herring
Well done to all- I would be very grateful if Bedruthen would thank all concerned personally as we were truly very impressed
Paul and Fiona

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Wow, thank you so much for such a wonderful review of our Herring restaurant, I am so pleased that you enjoyed it and thank you for recognising our staff. They are such a big part of the experience at Bedruthan, we really can’t deliver our service without them so it is great when we can recognise them specifically for the service and food that they have produced. I will make sure that they all know personally how much you enjoyed your visit. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Janie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed 13 October 2012

On arriving at the Hotel the outside appearance of the Hotel with its blend of 60's block architecture, made me think choosing this hotel was a mistake. However as soon as I stepped inside this view was rapidly dispelled. The interior was bright modern and has been updated to a very high standard.

The public areas lead to a bar and cafe area with fantastic views out to sea and over the bay. The room was well specified, bright, with a really modern and contemporary feel. No wifi in the room was the only minor criticism I could have .

All the staff are friendly and helpful, without being over bearing or stuffy.

So for an overnight stay it was perfect. What really made my stay was the outstanding dining experience. The menu featured outstanding, fresh seafood cooked to perfection. i was lucky enough to try the Scallops and then a superb Lemon sole, with a a great desert. For £35 per head this was excellent value and to a very high standard. This was particularly welcome as I was hosting customers as guests also and they were also extremely impressed. This standard was maintained with a great English Breakfast.

Overall very, very impressed to the extent I will stay here again in the near future. So glad that the initial impression of this fantastic hotel was so far off the mark.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind review, I’m really pleased to hear that you had a great experience with us and that you were able to enjoy the restaurant with your customers. The outside can be deceiving and we understand that it is not to everyone’s taste but we think the funky feel of Bedruthan on the inside and the wonderful views from around the hotel of the Atlantic Ocean more than make up for this as you have said as well. We are always trying to improve the service we offer so I will pass on your comments about our Wifi connection to the maintenance team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at Bedruthan for 3 nights in September for a relaxing break. We were really really impressed by this hotel - everything about it was well thought out and considered and made for the perfect break. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

The food in both the Wild Cafe and the Herring restaurant was wonderful (and we are big foodies), the room had a beautiful sea view and was modern, spacious and very comfortable.
Our favourite aspect was definitely the spa. having visited a number around the country we were truly impressed by the range of facilities and the reasonably priced treatments. There is nothing like relaxing in the large jacuzzi bath with the view of the beach !

Another great aspect was the way the hotel caters for both couples and families and provides 'adult spaces'. We don't have children and so this was certainly appreciated.

One last thing is NOT to be put off by the outside (as I have read in other reviews) as when I walked in I was really impressed by the fun and imaginative decor of the hotel - really contemporary.

This hotel is also well located for a coastal path walk round to Bedruthan Steps, or as far as you wish, and the walk is fairly easy along the path.

What a beautiful place and we shall surely return soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McWesters
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review. It’s so nice to hear that you had a nice break and that you were able to enjoy both of our restaurants and the spa facilities to help you unwind while you were with us. The hydro pool and the sea views are definitely relaxing, an easy way to beat the winter blues. We try very hard to be able to offer a relaxing break for families and couples so it is great to hear that we had that balance for you so that you could enjoy your Bedruthan experience. I hope it is not too long until we see you again.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed for four days, joined by our daughter, son-in-law and 15 month old granddaughter for some of the time; the hotel is lovely, with interesting decor and lots of space; some areas are completely child-friendly with lots to do for all ages, but there are areas for adults only to relax and enjoy some quiet. We used a baby-sitter on one night, which was fine, but also used the baby-listening service which is free and great if your baby settles well.
We ate in both restaurants and were impressed by the food; the children's area of the Wild Cafe is relaxed and staff are helpful and not fazed by messy toddlers chucking food on the floor! The food in the Herring was really good and service cheerful and friendly.
We look forward to returning for family holidays in the future.

Room Tip: Sea view is stunning, though the rooms can be hot if really sunny - but worth it for the view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your kind review, I’m so pleased to hear that you and your family had a nice time. We feel that Bedruthan is a great place for families to spend time together and we feel that we have the right balance between family fun and adult relaxation. Our main aim is to help create great memories for guests of all ages that can be remembered for years to come. I’m glad the enjoyed both our restaurants, they are new this year and we feel that they add a great new flexibility to dining at the hotel from laid back family dining to a more sophisticated experience in The Herring. We look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I was given the name of this hotel for a one night stay near Newquay and when I arrived and saw the view I knew this was a Great location. Not too close to any restaurants so decided to use the Herring Restaurant in the hotel. The food was amazing and the service by the staff was the same, breakfast was buffet but still very good, so all in all Wonderful Food. Throughout the stay the staff in reception, bar and restuarant were very helpful and the majority of staff you bump into always have a good day for you, so definitely Lovely staff. Unfortunately that only leaves the room. Floor to ceiling windows but looks as though the double glazed units has blown so not too good a view, along with a brocken window which I had to open the other to close. The rest of the room was great, old tv but had enough channels for late evening or early morning viewing, enough cupboards and internet connect, wifi due in rooms next year. So not too bad until I tried to shower the next morning and the shower didn't work. Tried everything then realised I was running out of time so had to have a quick wash instead, so only bad point was that the Room was Poor.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark_O_4310

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel. I’m really pleased to hear that overall you had a nice time with us and that you enjoyed the food and service within the Herring restaurant. We work really hard to make sure that we recruit people who really want to be part of the Bedruthan team as we know this is what makes a real difference to our guests stay so it’s really nice to hear that they have delivered great service for you throughout your stay. I will make sure that I pass this feedback onto them as it is always nice to be able to share with them when they have made a difference. I’m sorry to hear that our rooms didn’t meet your expectation and I thank you for providing us the feedback about where we could improve the rooms. We are continually working on refurbishing our hotel and I will make sure that your feedback is looked into so that we can keep our rooms and facilities in the best possible condition. I do hope that despite this we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Great location, and superb for the kids. So much to do on and off campus, whatever the weather, and the food was very good indeed. Would we go back? Yes certainly! Just what Cornwall needs - a well run, reasonably priced hotel with facilities and access to a fantastic beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GBR2426

Thanks for your review of the hotel, I’m really pleased that you had a nice time with us. We are very lucky with our location and your right there are things to do here no matter what the Cornish weather decides to do! I hope we can see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Recommended by many friends who have returned time and time again. We stayed for a week in a sea-view villa. The room had a king-size bed and bunk bed for our 3 year-old daughter which she loved. This is a hotel where the children can play and the parents can relax. Eva had a "best friend" within the hour! There are many activities for the children (I was upset at being too old for the laser tag held in the hotel grounds). The children's entertainment post children's tea and a jungle gym were a god-send in the evening to burn off the final energy reserves to allow us to escape for a dinner for two in the Herring restaurant or Wild Cafe (both excellent). Swimming pool and spa were good for a family hotel. The nearby beach was stunning - if you are a fan of the Cornish Atlantic coast you will not be disappointed. There are also many great beaches within a quick drive (Fistral, Lusty Glaze, Watergate Bay) and a short drive up the road is Padstow for the obligatory visit to contribute to Rick Stein's pension fund. Not a hotel for a romantic weekend for two and not uber-luxury but if you are a busy parent this will keep you and your family happy. Celebrity spot this time was Gareth Malone at children's tea. Service in the Wild Cafe over breakfast and children's tea is erratic - you need to be patient and visible in equal measures but service at dinner in the Wild Cafe and Herring was very good.

Room Tip: Sea view villas are actually just big rooms with a divider between the main bed and the children'...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank jonathanredfern
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel, I’m really pleased to hear that you had a nice time and that you were able to enjoy the balance we create between parents relaxation and family fun. We are so lucky with our location and you are right there are loads of really great beaches and places to visit within really easy reach. It really sounds like you made the most of our different restaurant areas, outside of the main school holidays these are a real bonus for our adult guests as you genuinely get a choice about where to dine. I will make sure we review your comments about erratic service as consistency is certainly something that we are working really hard on. I really hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel really soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 9 in St Austell
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!