“So very nearly 5 *”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I so wish that I could provide a 5* rating for our stay at Bedruthan as it is such a great place to take the family on holiday. I will explain why I can't, but would dearly love to!

We have only ever stayed in spring or Autumn school holidays and have always had such a great holiday that we always look forward to returning. Originally staying for one of our honeymoons (one in the UK straight after the wedding and one in the summer as my wife is a teacher!) back in 2007 - we chose Bedruthan as it was recommended to me by my boss. We were not disappointed. Since then we have been back twice more.

The hotel has always catered excellently for a family stay. The kids high tea (like feeding time at the zoo previously!) and the listening service so that parents can enjoy an evening adult meal in a relaxing atmosphere has always been a real winner with us. The quality of the food and the service from the hotel staff I cannot fault. I even saw Heston Blumenthal in the restaurant one evening. I don't know who the head chef is, or if he /she has changed recently, but the eating experience at Bedruthan really is very very very good.

This year the set up has changed. Generally (in fact perhaps it is obligatory - i'm not sure) the holidays at Bedruthan are Dinner, bed and breakfast. Now, you are given a monetary allowance (you have already paid for this in the holiday payment rate) for each day to use for eating in the hotel restaurants. You are allowed to use this for eating at any time throughout the day - other than at breakfast, which is included for outside of the allowance. This makes eating at the hotel extremely flexible. We wondered how it would work in practice, but it works excellently, and actually even better than before - which is amazing. You basically just have whatever you want, a snack in the morning, lunch and dinner with the kids, or let them have their tea and then put them to bed and utilise the listening service to have a meal as just you, the parents; and you book it all to the room. There are prices on the menus and you can choose to add this up as you go along to make sure you stay within your allowance, or not. Drinks are not included within the allowance, only food. We chose not to keep check of everything we ate - as we were looking at the trip as a special treat - and knew that the alcohol would mount up. But nonetheless, without tracking and keeping pace of our eating, and without limiting ourselves in any way - we were amazed that we did not exceed our allowance for our stay. We ate really well all week, sometimes having lunch and dinner, and not one single day did we exceed the allowance. We found the new arrangement to be extremely easy, very flexible and we think it is a great improvement to the already excellent system that was in place. It must be said that the choice, quality and presentation of food is superb. The policy to source 80% of the food from local suppliers is such a great idea - and the apple juice for breakfast resulting from this is divine! You would favourably compare Bedruthan to the best restaurants that you have ever eaten in. We are lucky to live in Jersey which has many many great places to eat and Bedruthan did not disappoint in the slightest.

Enough about the food.

Bedruthan has evening entertainment for the kids and for adults, a spa (which we used for the first time this year and would highly recommend - I had the spa's signature massage and it is really really really good), kids club (which we don't normally use but as it was offered free for a few hours each day this gave us the opportunity to use the spa), swimming pool, outside play areas, indoor soft play area, surf school, games rooms, gym - and many more facilities. We chose Bedruthan over EuroDisney for our last trip and were so glad that we did. There really are many activities and facilities to keep you entertained if you wish to just hang around the hotel. The nearby beach is excellent, karting track a short distance away is one of the best I've driven on (the boy is now old enough to do it!) and Newquay Aquarium is a must to visit.

All this and much more really should justify making this a top rated hotel for Trip Advisor - however......

I have to point out why I cannot justify a 5* rating after our last stay, which really is a true shame as the hotel does deserve it if it could sort a couple of things:-
1. Do not allow iPads, dvd players or handheld game devices into any of the restaurants. Whilst this may be an easy way to placate your own children - this is meant to be a family holiday where you actually interact with your children. Everyone now seems to have an iPad - but plugging the kids into it while they eat their breakfast or dinner is just not right. This is a family hotel, meant for the family to enjoy its own company and get away from the normal everyday drudgery. The hotel policy should be that such devices are banned from the breakfast, lunch and dinner table.
2. The above counts for adults too. Coming away on holiday with your family, surely checking your emails can wait until after you have eaten? The amount of parents checking their iPads, iphones, blackberry's, ipads, etc. whilst they are meant to be enjoying their food with their family is unbelievable. We generally all only get 4 or 5 weeks holiday a year from our jobs - why not enjoy this time with your family before they grow up and become too old to come on holiday with you. Again - these devices should be banned from the restaurants.
3. Dogs! Argh! I like dogs - generally. I had one when I was growing up, my wife did, we have nothing against dogs - apart from the one that lives in the house next door which yaps all day when left alone whilst its owners are out. We came on holiday to escape that. However, upon returning one day to the hotel, we heard a very loud barking whilst in our room. We then discovered that the hotel was undertaking a trial of dogs in the hotel - a family hotel, at half term, with dogs roaming around! No. that is not right. Perhaps at quiet times when the hotel is not bursting at the seams with children - maybe trial the dog thing, but not at peak school holiday times. Please don't reply with the "but my dog is perfectly safe and would never cause any harm" - perhaps not, but that is what every dog owners whose dog has caused a problem said before there was a problem. Bedruthan - please do not entertain this 'dog friendly hotel' idea. Not at a family orientated hotel.

And that's it really. You'll be bored if I type anymore. The hotel is truly excellent, and when looking at the above few gripes, it is generally down to the guests perhaps rather than the hotel itself which prevents the perfect score. However, I do think that a couple of friendly family policies in regard to the use of modern technology at the dinner table would assist - and perhaps even help the Bedruthan holidaying society into interacting more with their children at mealtimes!

Oh, finally - i've just seen a review commenting on the dated exterior. Do not let the external appearance have any bearing on your choice. It doesn't matter in the slightest what the hotel looks like from the outside. It's what happens inside that counts, and that is extremely very good.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view - it really will make a difference to your stay and is worth spending that littl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Patemans
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

what happens inside that counts, and that is extremely very good.
Thanks for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel. I am so pleased to hear that overall you had a good time with us as you have done before. We have made some changes over the past couple of years but it’s great to know that you have enjoyed these and found the flexible dining option was an useful addition. Thank you for your feedback about how we could further improve the experience for you and other guests coming to stay at the hotel, please be assured that we will use this as part of our on-going commitment to provide a great holiday for each and every guest. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Wow we had the most amazing break at this hotel. Ok this review is a few months late (we stayed at the end of aug. last year) but I have been meaning to write this for a long time. Our aim with our summer hol last year was to go somewhere where we could try to have a bit of a rest/ break: no easy thing with two lively boys aged 4 and 18 months!! But we actually returned from the hol feeling refreshed and like we'd had the most wonderful time. Although initially nervous about it, we used the listening service every night and so had 7 wonderful nights out at the seafood restaurant the herring, a short walk away from our room (admittedly the 5am wake up calls were the only non welcome thing that hol!) we booked them in to the crèche for four of the mornings so we could have some 'me time' - I used the spa and relaxed and my husband booked and thoroughly enjoyed a surfing lesson. We loved the children's teas, with good healthy food served at the right times and the endless activities and entertainment available. My boys particularly loved the outdoor play area, the swimming pools, the trampoline, the indoor soft play gym and of course the beach which is an acceptable walk away. Everything about the hotel is well thought out and organised. The decor is attractive, the children are considered in everything and the rooms are lovely. They still feel hotel-luxury whilst having children's bunk beds/ cots etc. we felt that because families with children are so well catered for, it makes for the perfect family holiday. We only hope we'll be able to come again this summer. Now I've found this place, it would always be top of my list above a self catering cottage or hotel without all the facilities. We got chatting to guests who have been back regularly and would choose this over other 'family friendly holidays'. That speaks volumes! You've really got to stay here to believe it!!! Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2012

What a lovely review, thank you so very much. We are delighted to know that you had such a nice time and we look forward to seeing you next year when you can once again use the all of the fantastic facilities we have available for our guests to use.
See you soon

Reviewed 2 January 2013

For the first time we decided to spend New Year in a family focussed hotel...a complete contrast to our usual New Year celebrations. We made the right choice with Bedruthan. From the moment we arrived on a blustery December 30th morning, we were made incredibly welcome by all the staff and our son (21 months old) felt immediately at home running up and down the corridors. The hotel offers both adult dining mixed with family food time - which even with a full hotel of families never felt too hectic. The food was fresh, varied and healthy and catered for all allergies and preferences - nothing was too much trouble. The kids entertainment was never pushed but always there if required - the Jungle room a real treat for our energetic son. The nights were relaxed using the baby listening service - allowing us to enjoy three boozy nights and great food including a great NYE dinner and band.

The rooms were comfortable and had everything you needed and any extras were at reception. The hotel is on a wonderful cliff and beach with the sound of waves crashing a great way to go to sleep and wake each morning.

If you want a relaxed, family friendly stay with a secure way to enjoy an adult evening or time away from the kids then do not hesitate to book. The staff are great and owners very visible to take feedback while you are there and react to any suggestions.

Negatives if any.....the hotel is not a stunner from the outside - quirky 60's build which could be updated. Interior is being improved but very quickly the surrounding are secondary to having a fun, family stay. No mobile reception (not sure if that is good or bad!)

Room Tip: Sea View Villas are good for one baby (in a cot) or two kids to use bunk beds. Apartments better for...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your New Year at Bedruthan we aim to have a really good balance between making sure the children are settled and having fun and creating an environment where the adults can be adults and kick back, have fun and get some dancing in after a fabulous meal, it sounds like we got that right for you which is wonderful. We will be hosting another great break over the New Year next year to and we’re already taking bookings so I hope we will see you there to bring in 2014 with a bang.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Not everyone has children there, but the hotel really is geared up for children.
This was our 2nd visit - and we only discovered the play room this time, last time we had come across the smaller soft play room and assumed that was what they meant. But the Jungle soft play is great! And then there are the kids clubs. And the childrens tea, with the idea that they are then going to bed while you enjoy the superb restaurant - with a baby monitor service.
The hotel offers a flexible meal plan, and if you do not use the allocation then you even get a refund, so thats an easy choice.
Downsides :
Single rooms seem quite pokey - but that could be in contrast to the standard rooms.
Access to the Spa/pool involves a lot of steps, unless the staff drive you round to the lower entrance.
Hotel is on a cliff face, so access to the beach can be a struggle, especially with a buggy.

This is not a cheap place to stay, but it is great!

Room Tip: There are family rooms which lead out directly on to the play park, good if you have have kids the r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your second visit to us as much as the first and I’m glad you found Jungle Tumble this time, it’s a real gem for children, a great place to let off some steam! Our aim at Bedruthan is to make sure that all of our guests have a great experience from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave so it’s great to know that we were able to help you enjoy yourselves across all our facilities. I hope that our location and the challenges we face with access to the spa and beach didn’t detract from your enjoyment, we are always happy to help our guests that find stairs difficult with getting to the spa area and we are also able to provide carry backpacks for small children which can help with getting down to the beautiful beach in front of hotel. I hope that we will see you again soon and please let us know if you need any help.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

My friend and I stayed here for a short break to recharge and recharge we did!
Sitting in a wonderfully designed jacuzzi enjoying the sunset.....a very comfortable and luxureous
room... fantastic food throughout the day in The Wild Cafe, it can't get any better.
Thank you so much!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your short break with us and were able to help you recharge before the hectic Christmas period. I think the North Coast offers something really special out of season with the magnificent views and the deserted beaches, perfect to get some fresh air and clear the mind. We have so many short breaks on offer this year from crafty ones to activity ones and everything in between so I hope we will be able to see you again soon. We will of course still have the spa breaks too so maybe we can help you recharge again later in the year.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

What a great hotel. A nice young feel and clearly geared up for children. We left ours at Grandmas and curiously wanted them to be there to enjoy the whole thing. We got over it after a glass of wine! Nice big hotel with lost of space for the children. Our suite had patio doors with the childrens' play areas right outside. The decor is a retro 1960s set up. It doesn't do much for me but is not offensive and is very 'designer'. The outside of the hotel is not a good look, very 1960s 'non-retro' but give it another 20 years and they'll list it and call it avant grade so your kids will love it. Breakfast is great with wonderful views across the bay and plenty of space to sit and eat. We had a great weekend just the two of us so it works whatever the occasion. Staff friendly and chilled. It all very 'new' Cornwall. Go there today. Use my credit card!

Room Tip: Definitely sea facing.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Great review, thanks very much. We think we’ve got the balance right for families and couples so that you can enjoy a stay at Bedruthan no matter what the occasion is, there are loads of play areas for children and plenty of adult spaces designed to relax and unwind whether the children are with you or not. We’re so lucky to have the Atlnatic on our door step which means you sit and enjoy breakfast watching the waves roll in. I hope that we can welcome you back to hotel again soon as a couple or as family.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed here for a spa break with three female friends & would highly recommend. We had amazing rooms with sea views, wonderful treatments in the spa & fabulous food in both the cafe & the restaurant. The reception staff were particularly helpful & overall I couldn't fault one tiny thing about our stay, we even had the most glorious rainbow great us across the beach in the morning!
The one night spa package was an amazing deal & we'll be back again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks for this review, we are all delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed all of your stay and that our staff were able to be part of this experience for you. I will make sure that I let them know how much you enjoyed their service. We love our Spa break and over the next year we will be introducing more short break ideas for people to enjoy with partners and friends so hopefully we can see you again soon on one of these. You’ll be able to find the details on our website.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
#1 of 9 in St Austell
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!