“Fantastic for craft breaks”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
fowey
“Fantastic for craft breaks”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I've just spent a weekend at this hotel on a free machine embroidery course.
It was fantastic. From the inspirational teacher (who'd come all the way from Cheshire to teach) to the attentive service of the hotel staff. The spa staff were very helpful as we're the reception staff. What was incredible was if you needed a member of staff for additional materials for the course or for a top up of hot water for the coffees and teas one seemed to appear without being summoned. Hats off to matt for this. The food in the wild cafe was delicious.
The public areas were spotless and the tranquility area was just that, with a roaring wood burner. Here's to cosy hotels in the winter! Well done Bed Steps.
Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The villa rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, we have so many wonderful craft breaks going on at the hotel this year and you really have captured what our vision of the experience should be. Relaxed and attentive service, good facilities to enjoy when you’re not too busy learning your new skill and a space to learn that is inspiring with views that overlook the beach and Atlantic Ocean. Our staff and course leaders are such an important part of the experience and we believe that they really add to the enjoyment so thanks very much for recognising them. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Janie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Slovak first
callington
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was in this hotel. Maybe if I hadn't read the hype I wouldn't be as it wasn't terrible just not in my mind a top flight hotel. Firstly the outside is 'tatty'. that's fine. Go inside and it is fine. We went in January so maybe out of season meant not much going on. We took our grandchildren 8 and 10. Nothing much for them to do apart from video games room. Went to pool and despite being excellent swimmers were not allowed in without one of us there!
Kids rooms definitely meant for little ones. Food so disappointing. Could only eat in Wild Cafe with kids which is plastic chairs plastic tables and the most limited menu I have ever seen at a top hotel.

Room Tip: If in winter do not get sea view, the windows are draughty and if as when we were there high winds y...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank barbarajoan2
Thanks for your honest feedback about your recent visit to Bedruthan. I am so sorry to hear that we weren’t able to fully delight you while you were with us. We take our feedback very seriously and I would really appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail so that we are able to learn and develop what we offer to our guests. Our desire is to make sure that all of our guests have a fabulous time and make some really long lasting memories. I can be contact directly at jwhite@bedruthan.com. I look forward to speaking with you.
With my very best wishes
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 5 times over the last few years and I must say it gets better and better. In short, lots to do, entertainment aal day through for the children, great swimming pool and sports activities. The beach is just a 5 minute walk and is just beautiful. The staff are excellent and the food is 5 star, looking forward to staying with you in the summer. A+

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank riskman35
Thank you very much for your review. I’m so pleased to hear that we are improving our service for you with each visit, we are already looking forward to helping you and family make some more memories in the Summer. See you then.
Jersey
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I so wish that I could provide a 5* rating for our stay at Bedruthan as it is such a great place to take the family on holiday. I will explain why I can't, but would dearly love to!

We have only ever stayed in spring or Autumn school holidays and have always had such a great holiday that we always look forward to returning. Originally staying for one of our honeymoons (one in the UK straight after the wedding and one in the summer as my wife is a teacher!) back in 2007 - we chose Bedruthan as it was recommended to me by my boss. We were not disappointed. Since then we have been back twice more.

The hotel has always catered excellently for a family stay. The kids high tea (like feeding time at the zoo previously!) and the listening service so that parents can enjoy an evening adult meal in a relaxing atmosphere has always been a real winner with us. The quality of the food and the service from the hotel staff I cannot fault. I even saw Heston Blumenthal in the restaurant one evening. I don't know who the head chef is, or if he /she has changed recently, but the eating experience at Bedruthan really is very very very good.

This year the set up has changed. Generally (in fact perhaps it is obligatory - i'm not sure) the holidays at Bedruthan are Dinner, bed and breakfast. Now, you are given a monetary allowance (you have already paid for this in the holiday payment rate) for each day to use for eating in the hotel restaurants. You are allowed to use this for eating at any time throughout the day - other than at breakfast, which is included for outside of the allowance. This makes eating at the hotel extremely flexible. We wondered how it would work in practice, but it works excellently, and actually even better than before - which is amazing. You basically just have whatever you want, a snack in the morning, lunch and dinner with the kids, or let them have their tea and then put them to bed and utilise the listening service to have a meal as just you, the parents; and you book it all to the room. There are prices on the menus and you can choose to add this up as you go along to make sure you stay within your allowance, or not. Drinks are not included within the allowance, only food. We chose not to keep check of everything we ate - as we were looking at the trip as a special treat - and knew that the alcohol would mount up. But nonetheless, without tracking and keeping pace of our eating, and without limiting ourselves in any way - we were amazed that we did not exceed our allowance for our stay. We ate really well all week, sometimes having lunch and dinner, and not one single day did we exceed the allowance. We found the new arrangement to be extremely easy, very flexible and we think it is a great improvement to the already excellent system that was in place. It must be said that the choice, quality and presentation of food is superb. The policy to source 80% of the food from local suppliers is such a great idea - and the apple juice for breakfast resulting from this is divine! You would favourably compare Bedruthan to the best restaurants that you have ever eaten in. We are lucky to live in Jersey which has many many great places to eat and Bedruthan did not disappoint in the slightest.

Enough about the food.

Bedruthan has evening entertainment for the kids and for adults, a spa (which we used for the first time this year and would highly recommend - I had the spa's signature massage and it is really really really good), kids club (which we don't normally use but as it was offered free for a few hours each day this gave us the opportunity to use the spa), swimming pool, outside play areas, indoor soft play area, surf school, games rooms, gym - and many more facilities. We chose Bedruthan over EuroDisney for our last trip and were so glad that we did. There really are many activities and facilities to keep you entertained if you wish to just hang around the hotel. The nearby beach is excellent, karting track a short distance away is one of the best I've driven on (the boy is now old enough to do it!) and Newquay Aquarium is a must to visit.

All this and much more really should justify making this a top rated hotel for Trip Advisor - however......

I have to point out why I cannot justify a 5* rating after our last stay, which really is a true shame as the hotel does deserve it if it could sort a couple of things:-
1. Do not allow iPads, dvd players or handheld game devices into any of the restaurants. Whilst this may be an easy way to placate your own children - this is meant to be a family holiday where you actually interact with your children. Everyone now seems to have an iPad - but plugging the kids into it while they eat their breakfast or dinner is just not right. This is a family hotel, meant for the family to enjoy its own company and get away from the normal everyday drudgery. The hotel policy should be that such devices are banned from the breakfast, lunch and dinner table.
2. The above counts for adults too. Coming away on holiday with your family, surely checking your emails can wait until after you have eaten? The amount of parents checking their iPads, iphones, blackberry's, ipads, etc. whilst they are meant to be enjoying their food with their family is unbelievable. We generally all only get 4 or 5 weeks holiday a year from our jobs - why not enjoy this time with your family before they grow up and become too old to come on holiday with you. Again - these devices should be banned from the restaurants.
3. Dogs! Argh! I like dogs - generally. I had one when I was growing up, my wife did, we have nothing against dogs - apart from the one that lives in the house next door which yaps all day when left alone whilst its owners are out. We came on holiday to escape that. However, upon returning one day to the hotel, we heard a very loud barking whilst in our room. We then discovered that the hotel was undertaking a trial of dogs in the hotel - a family hotel, at half term, with dogs roaming around! No. that is not right. Perhaps at quiet times when the hotel is not bursting at the seams with children - maybe trial the dog thing, but not at peak school holiday times. Please don't reply with the "but my dog is perfectly safe and would never cause any harm" - perhaps not, but that is what every dog owners whose dog has caused a problem said before there was a problem. Bedruthan - please do not entertain this 'dog friendly hotel' idea. Not at a family orientated hotel.

And that's it really. You'll be bored if I type anymore. The hotel is truly excellent, and when looking at the above few gripes, it is generally down to the guests perhaps rather than the hotel itself which prevents the perfect score. However, I do think that a couple of friendly family policies in regard to the use of modern technology at the dinner table would assist - and perhaps even help the Bedruthan holidaying society into interacting more with their children at mealtimes!

Oh, finally - i've just seen a review commenting on the dated exterior. Do not let the external appearance have any bearing on your choice. It doesn't matter in the slightest what the hotel looks like from the outside. It's what happens inside that counts, and that is extremely very good.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view - it really will make a difference to your stay and is worth spending that littl...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Patemans
what happens inside that counts, and that is extremely very good.
Thanks for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel. I am so pleased to hear that overall you had a good time with us as you have done before. We have made some changes over the past couple of years but it’s great to know that you have enjoyed these and found the flexible dining option was an useful addition. Thank you for your feedback about how we could further improve the experience for you and other guests coming to stay at the hotel, please be assured that we will use this as part of our on-going commitment to provide a great holiday for each and every guest. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Wow we had the most amazing break at this hotel. Ok this review is a few months late (we stayed at the end of aug. last year) but I have been meaning to write this for a long time. Our aim with our summer hol last year was to go somewhere where we could try to have a bit of a rest/ break: no easy thing with two lively boys aged 4 and 18 months!! But we actually returned from the hol feeling refreshed and like we'd had the most wonderful time. Although initially nervous about it, we used the listening service every night and so had 7 wonderful nights out at the seafood restaurant the herring, a short walk away from our room (admittedly the 5am wake up calls were the only non welcome thing that hol!) we booked them in to the crèche for four of the mornings so we could have some 'me time' - I used the spa and relaxed and my husband booked and thoroughly enjoyed a surfing lesson. We loved the children's teas, with good healthy food served at the right times and the endless activities and entertainment available. My boys particularly loved the outdoor play area, the swimming pools, the trampoline, the indoor soft play gym and of course the beach which is an acceptable walk away. Everything about the hotel is well thought out and organised. The decor is attractive, the children are considered in everything and the rooms are lovely. They still feel hotel-luxury whilst having children's bunk beds/ cots etc. we felt that because families with children are so well catered for, it makes for the perfect family holiday. We only hope we'll be able to come again this summer. Now I've found this place, it would always be top of my list above a self catering cottage or hotel without all the facilities. We got chatting to guests who have been back regularly and would choose this over other 'family friendly holidays'. That speaks volumes! You've really got to stay here to believe it!!! Thanks.

• Stayed August 2012
What a lovely review, thank you so very much. We are delighted to know that you had such a nice time and we look forward to seeing you next year when you can once again use the all of the fantastic facilities we have available for our guests to use.
See you soon
Leeds
Reviewed 2 January 2013

For the first time we decided to spend New Year in a family focussed hotel...a complete contrast to our usual New Year celebrations. We made the right choice with Bedruthan. From the moment we arrived on a blustery December 30th morning, we were made incredibly welcome by all the staff and our son (21 months old) felt immediately at home running up and down the corridors. The hotel offers both adult dining mixed with family food time - which even with a full hotel of families never felt too hectic. The food was fresh, varied and healthy and catered for all allergies and preferences - nothing was too much trouble. The kids entertainment was never pushed but always there if required - the Jungle room a real treat for our energetic son. The nights were relaxed using the baby listening service - allowing us to enjoy three boozy nights and great food including a great NYE dinner and band.

The rooms were comfortable and had everything you needed and any extras were at reception. The hotel is on a wonderful cliff and beach with the sound of waves crashing a great way to go to sleep and wake each morning.

If you want a relaxed, family friendly stay with a secure way to enjoy an adult evening or time away from the kids then do not hesitate to book. The staff are great and owners very visible to take feedback while you are there and react to any suggestions.

Negatives if any.....the hotel is not a stunner from the outside - quirky 60's build which could be updated. Interior is being improved but very quickly the surrounding are secondary to having a fun, family stay. No mobile reception (not sure if that is good or bad!)

Room Tip: Sea View Villas are good for one baby (in a cot) or two kids to use bunk beds. Apartments better for...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your New Year at Bedruthan we aim to have a really good balance between making sure the children are settled and having fun and creating an environment where the adults can be adults and kick back, have fun and get some dancing in after a fabulous meal, it sounds like we got that right for you which is wonderful. We will be hosting another great break over the New Year next year to and we’re already taking bookings so I hope we will see you there to bring in 2014 with a bang.
Brighton
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Not everyone has children there, but the hotel really is geared up for children.
This was our 2nd visit - and we only discovered the play room this time, last time we had come across the smaller soft play room and assumed that was what they meant. But the Jungle soft play is great! And then there are the kids clubs. And the childrens tea, with the idea that they are then going to bed while you enjoy the superb restaurant - with a baby monitor service.
The hotel offers a flexible meal plan, and if you do not use the allocation then you even get a refund, so thats an easy choice.
Downsides :
Single rooms seem quite pokey - but that could be in contrast to the standard rooms.
Access to the Spa/pool involves a lot of steps, unless the staff drive you round to the lower entrance.
Hotel is on a cliff face, so access to the beach can be a struggle, especially with a buggy.

This is not a cheap place to stay, but it is great!

Room Tip: There are family rooms which lead out directly on to the play park, good if you have have kids the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your second visit to us as much as the first and I’m glad you found Jungle Tumble this time, it’s a real gem for children, a great place to let off some steam! Our aim at Bedruthan is to make sure that all of our guests have a great experience from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave so it’s great to know that we were able to help you enjoy yourselves across all our facilities. I hope that our location and the challenges we face with access to the spa and beach didn’t detract from your enjoyment, we are always happy to help our guests that find stairs difficult with getting to the spa area and we are also able to provide carry backpacks for small children which can help with getting down to the beautiful beach in front of hotel. I hope that we will see you again soon and please let us know if you need any help.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!