“Bedruthan Steps Gem”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Poole, United Kingdom
“Bedruthan Steps Gem”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The hotel ticks every box for me and my family. It is beautifully decorated with a really welcoming atmosphere. Staff are both friendly and professional. There is plenty to do both within and outside the hotel. The restaurants are fantastic with well thought-out, locally sourced, freshly prepared food choices. As a family hotel I have struggled to find better. My children are really at home here. Well worth the drive!

Room Tip: Get a sea-view room for a treat...the view is awesome. If your children enjoy the park get a villa...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
JanieWhite, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
What a lovely review thank you very much for your kind words, I’m really pleased to hear that Bedruthan is a hit with all the family and that you can always find something for everyone to do. We really enjoy helping families have a fantastic time by the beach and we look forward to being able to welcome you back once again.
Janie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Slovak first
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Get a sea view room - the view is amazing. Seriously - who needs tv with a view like that. Location, location, location. Minutes from an amazing beach with a great surf school - yes even if Feb. You can walk to Bedruthan or Watergate bay.
Staff are friendly and baby listening is fab - adult dinner and no worries. Dinner excellent - only criticism is too much salt. Celeb chef was eating there - need I say more.
Lovely salads for lunch. Tasty, imaginative tapas.
Your children should never be allowed to swim alone - shocked that another reviewer would want to do that - no matter how well they can swim.
Spa is lovely. Good choice of treatments and they weren't all booked up - although I did book in advance.
Baby sitting available. Loads of outdoor play areas for the children. Kids club. Jungle gym. Will be coming back when small one is older.
Just need to wash those high chair straps and make sure you clean up after previous kids in the restaurant please.
Not cheap.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback about your stay I’m so pleased to hear that you had a lovely time. We try really hard to make sure that our facilities suit the guests we have at the hotel whether younger or older so it’s great to know that you were able to make use of them. Thanks for your feedback on the highchairs and food I will make sure that this is shared with the team so that we can keep an eye on this. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon.
Stroud
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We visited the spa as a treat. Took a package including lunch(separate review as so good!) hotel is tired, spa staff were only really counting numbers in and out rather than looking after guests. Pool is tired and nothing special very clean but nothing special. My wife and daughter had a treatment but Pretty basic. Hotel staff friendly and helpful however.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gazzagazebo
Thank you for your feedback about your visit to the spa, I am really sorry to hear that we haven’t delivered the experience you were looking for, this is unusual and I would really like to understand a little more about your visit so that we can ensure we learn from any points highlighted. We really want all of our guests to have a wonderful and relaxing time with us and I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly so that we can talk about this. I can be contacted on jwhite@bedruthan.com
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Really lovely weekend here. The rooms are lovely , setting magnificent and loads to do. As well as the beach there's an outdoor pool, indoor pool and spa , games room, beautiful areas where you can read with the view, ping pong and air hockey. Food delicious. Only lost points for 1030 kick out time on a Sunday. However, you can stay and use the spa etc all day after checking out. The staff are really friendly and it really is laid back luxury. It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny. Lovely details include organic local toiletries, REAL milk in the fridge, robes and spa towels, free WIFI. All the furniture is well designed, very well thought through. It is a family hotel, but there are adult only areas and as a couple it was a great weekend. Really hope I get to go there again .

• Stayed February 2013
What a lovely review thank you very much. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to come back. We try really hard to get the balance right between family and adult areas and it’s always great to hear when we have got that right as it’s something we are passionate about. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and I hope it won’t be too long until we see you again.
Cornwall, England
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I wanted you to know how charming it is to pop in here during the day time and partake in a coffee and snack. There are comfortable, informal, seating areas to sit and relax and take advantage of the spectacular scenary. Super to look out and watch the waves crashing into the sea. Staff are eager to make your time there very pleasant and the logs were regularly topped up on the open fire whilst we sat in the "Tranquility Area". Perfect for a cold winter day. Additionally, the day time menue has something for everyone. My friend and I shared the tappas and had a lovely glass of wine whilst passing the time away. Staff came in regularly to check that we were fine and enquire if we wanted any additional refreshments. The biscuits served with the coffees were a very pleasant suprise. We had a couple of rounds of coffee and with each serving came a different variety of biscuit-quite charming and typical of the attention to detail that was experienced. There are a variety of art objects on display and it is worth a wander around to fully appreciate the collection.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We love to welcome guests who are here for the day as well as residents and I hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon to enjoy the beautiful views and food we have to offer at either the Wild Café or The Herring.
fowey
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I've just spent a weekend at this hotel on a free machine embroidery course.
It was fantastic. From the inspirational teacher (who'd come all the way from Cheshire to teach) to the attentive service of the hotel staff. The spa staff were very helpful as we're the reception staff. What was incredible was if you needed a member of staff for additional materials for the course or for a top up of hot water for the coffees and teas one seemed to appear without being summoned. Hats off to matt for this. The food in the wild cafe was delicious.
The public areas were spotless and the tranquility area was just that, with a roaring wood burner. Here's to cosy hotels in the winter! Well done Bed Steps.
Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The villa rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your lovely review, we have so many wonderful craft breaks going on at the hotel this year and you really have captured what our vision of the experience should be. Relaxed and attentive service, good facilities to enjoy when you’re not too busy learning your new skill and a space to learn that is inspiring with views that overlook the beach and Atlantic Ocean. Our staff and course leaders are such an important part of the experience and we believe that they really add to the enjoyment so thanks very much for recognising them. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
callington
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was in this hotel. Maybe if I hadn't read the hype I wouldn't be as it wasn't terrible just not in my mind a top flight hotel. Firstly the outside is 'tatty'. that's fine. Go inside and it is fine. We went in January so maybe out of season meant not much going on. We took our grandchildren 8 and 10. Nothing much for them to do apart from video games room. Went to pool and despite being excellent swimmers were not allowed in without one of us there!
Kids rooms definitely meant for little ones. Food so disappointing. Could only eat in Wild Cafe with kids which is plastic chairs plastic tables and the most limited menu I have ever seen at a top hotel.

Room Tip: If in winter do not get sea view, the windows are draughty and if as when we were there high winds y...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank barbarajoan2
Thanks for your honest feedback about your recent visit to Bedruthan. I am so sorry to hear that we weren’t able to fully delight you while you were with us. We take our feedback very seriously and I would really appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail so that we are able to learn and develop what we offer to our guests. Our desire is to make sure that all of our guests have a fabulous time and make some really long lasting memories. I can be contact directly at jwhite@bedruthan.com. I look forward to speaking with you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawgan Porth
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!