“On the fence!”

Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Don't let the outside appearance put you off with its dated windows, the interior is decorated very tastefully as are the bedrooms and the view was superb. We arrived early and were greeted by a polite receptionist who gave us a pager and explained they would let us know when our room was ready. We could use the facilities while we wait, however they failed to page us at all.
This is the problem I have with a hotel that claims to be child friendly: one of the reasons we booked this hotel was because of its impressive outside pool, we stayed on a beautifully hot day and were told the outdoor pool was only open for one hour 3pm - 4pm we then had to use the smaller pool which can become overcrowded very quickly.
After our evening meal (taken in the cafe as children aren't allowed in the restaurant after 7pm) where we ordered macaroni cheese for my daughter which came out in a hot to touch bowl but the food was cold, we wanted to sit outside with a coffee. The terrace leading out from the bar do not allow children at anytime. The seating area leading out from the restaurant was also a no go as it was after 7pm, we could have opted to sit inside but would have to leave the lounge by 9pm as children not allowed after. The hotel has some great outdoor facilities for children to play and this is where we wanted to go but there wasn't a single seat or table we could sit at and supervise. I was told by reception that they were aware of the seating issues from previous feedback and have some plans to change things, but these are long term! I also wanted to take my children swimming in the morning but when I checked the timetable I couldn't due to adults only swim.
If you are parents who like to pop your children in a kids club, give them an early tea and put them to bed with the monitoring service this hotel will suit you perfectly. If however you like to be with your children and enjoy their company then be prepared to go back to your room by 9pm as this is the only place for them.
I did have a problem when I left my ipad behind which was resolved efficiently, along with a good will gesture. Too many negatives for a premium priced hotel. I came away with the feeling that the Bedruthen really wants to be like its adult only sister hotel down the road.

Room Tip: Until they sort the outdoor seating for families with children, a villa would be a better option as...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linsey H
JennyBullas, Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback we really appreciate your comments I’m so glad that you loved our funky colourful décor especially in the rooms that have just been refurbished and experienced our friendly and attentive staff. The views really are superb.

It is disappointing that you felt we didn’t meet your expectations and I’m a little surprised to hear this as many families tell us they value the balance that we strive to create between family and adult relaxation spaces.

Families are more than welcome in the lounge/ballroom until 10.15pm and quieter children may stay until late. If they’ve met new friends and don’t want to hang around with the adults we have spaces such as the entertainment room with beanbags, a Wii, football table and telly which is open all evening for older children to enjoy. Our exciting over 8s Z club which offers a unique youth experience with lots of different activist is open between 7.15pm – 10.15pm offering events such as a beach party where they learn how to build a camp fire, bivouacs and roast marshmallows as the sun goes down. We have one patio, one lounge and one area in the restaurant that we maintain as child free areas.

The Herring our more formal restaurant welcomes families to book in from 6 – 6.30pm for an earlier evening meal with over 12’s welcome throughout the evening. As well as this there is the Wild Café with family and adult sections to suite all guests and seats until 9.30pm.

I would really welcome the chance to understand your experience further. If you could email myself at frontdesk@bedruthan.com to discuss your stay in more detail we would be very grateful.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

As a local I came here with my sister and my niece for the day. The pool and spa area is lovely, nice robes, lovely smelling toiletries to use. Friendly staff. We also had lunch in the little cafe near the outside pool as it was a really sunny day which was also really good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fifi985
Reviewed 2 August 2014

we went to bedruthan for a mini spa break before my friends wedding we arrived at the hotel and went to reception to check in the hotel entrance was very clean homely and looked great we were checking in and the staff at reception and all over the hotel were friendly welcoming and superb to us could not be more helpful. we then went to our room and based on our room we had a great sea view it was modern and warm and better than I anticipated the beds were comfy the only thing I would suggest is perhaps a harder pillow as for me personally if pillows are to soft I feel like I am suffocating just my personal opinion but other than that no faults what so ever I would not even class that as a fault lol food was great spa was wonderful it was just generally a lovely great place to be I cant wait to go back love it and would highly recommend the hotel and I did to a friend as she was unsure and I said what a great time we had there .

Room Tip: they are all lovely in my eyes especially one with sea views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank X7111HZrebeccab
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

There were lots of positives for this trip we spent a week there. However I would say there were also just as many negatives. Just an ok rating feel its expensive and over rated would not visit again. My overall opinion is as the title.

Views are stunning as everyone else has said.

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank satMcr
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wild cafe food excellent again (have also eaten in the adult Red Herring, also excellent) - could not miss eating here whilst in the area. Staff are attentive, friendly and relaxed. My bruschetta, short beef ribs with saffron mash & salted caramel/chocolate pud were wonderful. Our son made freinds with some young residents and had a fab time playing for hours whilst we watched the sunset. Top night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Restaurant
Group of 14, waited 30 mins for 2 high teas and it took a further 15 mins for everyone else's meal to arrive so we didn't eat together. My lamb was cold when it arrived but I was too hungry and too little time to complain and wait for another.We ordered coffee which took another 20mins so some of the girls were late getting to the spa for their treatments and it was cut short.

Spa
Lovely staff in the spa but we weren't made aware of any of the times or order of our group of 14 treatments despite asking the day before. Some girls were unable to use the facilities as they had mid session treatments so had paid £10 for use of spa facilities that they had limited use of which was very rushed and not relaxing.

My locker didn't work in the spa so a member of staff put it somewhere whilst I was in treatment, when I came out my wet bikini had been put on top of all my clothes so everything was wet when it was time to get dressed.

Hotel and pools
Lovely pools and areas, very clean, beautiful surround with amazing view and flowers and plants. Hotel also very clean and great furniture. Very modern and chic. Beautiful bar and restaurant areas.

I don't think I'll be visiting again, especially not in a large group. No communication between departments and over priced for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lauraw3bby
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a child friendly hotel but without feeling the hotel is over run with little people running around. There are adult only spaces and enough for younger children. Our son loved the indoor jungle climbing frame. The staff are great and special thanks to Caroline who went above and beyond to help us. Our room was great with patio doors where our seven year old could run onto the park and football area. The zip wire was out of action which was disappointing, hopefully it will be fixed soon. Nice superking bed and bunk beds for children. (116) Fridge in the room with fresh milk. We would normally be in greece at somewhere like Sani club but the Bedruthan helped make having to stay in the uk a pleasant week.
Furniture in the rooms is a little tired but rooms are comfortable and the patio rooms are spacious and varied.

Room Tip: It has to a sea view patio room for us. Without children or older children then the seaview none pat...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 9 in St Austell
St. Moritz Hotel
St. Moritz Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!