“Amazing Wedding Venue”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mawgan Porth
Winchester
“Amazing Wedding Venue”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We chose to have our wedding at the Bedruthan Steps Hotel after looking at a few other Cornish hotel options. We were not disappointed, the setting of the hotel is beautiful, overlooking magnificent Mawgan Porth Bay, the quality of service we received throughout was exceptional. Lisa & Anne-Sofie in the events team looked after our wedding and could not do enough to help. The day went off without a hitch, the food was incredible, (many guests commented on how good) the decoration of the room looked amazing, all taken care of for us by Lisa and her team. Our hotel room was clean, bright and had an amazing view over the beach. Overall a great venue and a super hotel for families or couples alike. p.s if you get a chance head down to the Scarlet (couples only - no kids) for a drink in their bar fabulous!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Slovak first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2010

The Bedruthan Steps Hotel benefits from lovely scenery due to their privileged location close to the sea and golden sand beaches.
Everything was lovely except for the fact that the only thing they left in the fridge was a carton of milk, it would have been nice to find any other type of cold drinks such as water, juices, etc.
The Spa looked nice too however they towels they used on me had seen better days, for the price of the treatment you would expect better looking towels.
A part from this minor things the place was really nice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank princesa75
West or England
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Having checked the forecast, we made a late booking and spent Friday and Saturday nights at Bedruthan with our kids aged 10 and 7. They're very happy on the beach and well behaved enough to have around a hotel, but it really helps when there's the level of understanding of a family's needs and wishes as there are here. They also like to see other children around, which a family friendly hotel tends to have. With just a couple of nights they didn't end up making new friends, but I'm sure if we'd have stayed longer they would have.

We all stayed in one of the main hotel rooms and with a step between our bed and the lounge where the kids slept there was enough privacy.

The kids ate early and we then enjoyed a fantastic meal on our own later on.

If the sun keeps shining on Cornwall, and there's space in the hotel, we'll be back

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I recently stayed at Bedruthan Stepsfor the ocassion of my mum's 80th birthday. It was a special place for the family as we had been there for holidays back in the 1960's. Although the hotel has changed considerably since we were there it brought back memories for all of us. The food was wonderful and varied and our rooms, right in the middle of the hotel overlooking the bay, were very large and airy. The spa just for adults, was peaceful and sitting in the lounge area after a busy day travelling was so relaxing. The hotel is ideally situated for the Eden Project, and the lost Gardens of Heligon, both of which we visited and also near to Padstow, Newquay and St Ives. The staff were wonderful and so helpful from the moment we arrived there, and did everything they could to make us feel welcom e. Going out of season was a good time to go, for my family as we are all adults and I think the hotel would probably be very popular with families with young children during the school holidays. The walk down to the beach may not be to everyone's liking, but what a lovely beach it is when you get there. I would like to think that I will go back again one day, hopefully before another 40 years have passed.

Kent, UK
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed for 4 nights with our 2.5 year old daughter in a villa room and had a great time. The hotel is very kiddie friendly and its easy to just stay around the hotel which is great if the weather is poor. The soft play, creche, swimming pool, playground and after tea entertainment were all excellent for her and she did not want to come come. Baby listening service was great too. I think our daughter was the main focus of the holiday and the hotel scored well on this. My wife also enjoyed the spa and our day trips to Padstow and Newquay.

The staff were in general very helpful and seem to go the extra mile. They are great at making you feel welcome. Food for us was wholesome and good and breakfast was standard restaurant fair but stll of a good standard. The location is fantastic and the views stunning over mawgan porth. Watching the sunset from the restaurant was a highlight. Watergate bay is down the road and there are great walks along the coast to the bedruthan steps.

It only gets 4 stars though and thats because there are a few niggles.
1) the building is not charming or cozy in any way which really cannot be changed but it is also a bit tired and needs a damn good clean in places. The lock in our room was dodgey and there were a lot of cobwebs in corridors etc. There was bird pooh on one of our curtains when we arrived and we were told this could not be cleaned off until the following morning!
2) they have kids teas at 5pm which is a great idea but the food is not good The burgers were dry, pasta sauce awful and in general it all needed a bit more effort. They also display the cakes which means its difficult for young kids to ignore them.
3) Our villa room had a ridiculous blind betwwen the childrens area and the grown up area. It gave no noise insulation or light shielding so once our daughter was in bed we had to creep around in the dark until she fell asleep.
4) we asked for lattes and americanos at breakfast and these were charged as extras at the end of our stay. There was probably a note on the menu saying there was an additional charge but i don't normally look at a menu to order a coffee and most hotels these days do not charge for the first one.
5) there were no net curtains in our room just thick curtains. This is a bit of a problem on the ground floor with the main outdoor playground just outside our door. So if we wanted privacy we had to close the curtains and put the lights on.

So in summary I would go back because my daughter loved it and it was convenient for a family but to get an excellent rating it needs to up its game.

Rochdale
Reviewed 6 May 2010

It was late on in the day when we decided to check availability at the hotel and when we saw the room with fantastic sea views over the Atlantic we were hooked. We didn't realise what a gem we had found. With very helpful and obliging staff who couldn't do enough for us and good food on offer we decided to stay two nights as we found the hotel so relaxing. Best nights sleep in a hotel ever!
There is even fresh milk in your fridge if you want to make a cuppa. The new spa is awesome and well worth spending time in, with pool, sauna and three steam rooms the hotel is excellent value for money. They cater for children in a big way but also have adult only areas in the hotel and restaurant. With easy access to the beach (3 min walk) this hotel has everything.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Wow - without a doubt, the most wonderful place I've been to. I arrived as a frazzled, stressed-out and run down zombie, and within a couple of hours I was relaxed and beginning to feel like myself. The back neck and shoulder massage with Lowenna certainly helped, as did my other spa treatments with Lauren. I was totally pampered and made to feel like a valued and special guest. All the staff bent over backwards to help, and really couldn't do enough to make your stay exactly what you hoped for. They were so friendly and full of advice as to what to do!

The food was fantastic - I was really impressed by the quality, and variety of the evening menu. Knowing that 70% of the food (and everything else) was sourced locally was a big, big bonus - I really felt like I was benefitting the local area.

I spent a lot of time in the spa, which was wonderful - so relaxing, and it was fantastic that ot was adults only! Actually, that was one of the fabulous and unique things about this hotel was that it is so family-friendly, and whilst my visit was during the school holidays, there were so many child-free areas and childrens clubs, that I was able to relax and unwind - and also didn't feel uncomfortable as a solo traveller. The parents I spoke to loved the facilities for children, and felt like they were able to have a great break too - I will certainly be reccomending to my friends with families!

It is the most wonderful place - I left feeling like myself, and was relaxed and rejuvenated. I cannot wait to go back. My advice is to go, straight away!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Sands Resort Hotel & Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to Bedruthan Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!