“Handy accommodation with a pub in mind”
Review of White Hart Hotel

and 1 more site!
White Hart Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Menheniot
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Just stayed for one night here. Cosy pub with friendly locals. Service good, although needed to ask for towels twice. Room clean, rather cold, asked for heating which never materialised.

Typical but good range of food, prompt service. Joined in with local bingo night which made the evening.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank JJWhitmore

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I had intended to stay at the Hotel but it was fully booked so I stay down the road but having read some reviews i thought i'd eat there what a mistake, firstly ordered of the specials menu sat down then was told unfortunately they had lost the Cheese for the Meal. ok I ordered the Haddock and chips as It was easy the fish you could of got from any Bargain Supermarket and the chips were over done the only redeeming factor of the whole meal was a very tasty dressing on the salad garnish. also as a fan of Real Ale I was disappointed at there only being a choice of 1 and not 3 as advertised. Maybe mid week is not such a busy time but surely you can do better.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I've stayed here twice on business and it's just what you need. The rooms are a good size, where two adults can easily walk around the bed. It's clean and tidy. Food is available in the bar which is a reasonable price and hot. It's a quiet village location. Staff are friendly and willing to accomodate you.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2012

If like me you travel a lot on business, there come to be a few things you look for in a place that are essential for making that time away from home a bearable experience. For me those things are a warm welcome, friendly staff, clean & well appointed rooms, good food and pleasant surroundings. A good strong wifi signal is also essential.

Unfortunately, the only part of that mix I got here was the wifi. At least work could distract me from the rest.

I booked the White Hart as I had business nearby the next morning, via one of the booking websites, based largely on the description of the place and its photo, and the fact that It scored fairly highly on that website's ratings. I can't understand why.

On arrival the building did look a little like the photo, but more run down (although it was midwinter, when very little looks appealing). On entering, the first thing that hit me was the strong, rank smell of stale cooking fat, mixed with cigarette smoke that was drifting in from the smokers huddled in the entrance porch. That smell of old fat pervaded the whole inn, apart from, thankfully, the rooms.

The inn was dark, dingy and drab with a basic restaurant layout in the 'lounge' and a workingman's bar on the other side. After a perfunctory greeting I was lead upstairs over a very grubby stair carpet to my room, which like the bars was pretty dull and drab, with very basic, scuffed, cheap furniture, artexed walls & ceilings and bedside cupboards whose tops were covered in cup marks.

The bathroom was also gloomy and unheated, with a weak electric shower. Very basic guest toiletries and the towels although freshly cleaned, were too small, frayed and stained. In short, unappetising.

If I wasn't so tired & needed to have work ready for the morning I'd have left there and then, but on the plus side I realised there'd be little to distract from getting the work done... The final straw would have been a poor signal, but thankfully it was a good, fast connection.

Ate in the gloomy lounge bar/restaurant, whose centrepiece is a couple of leather-effect sofas around an imitation woodburner complete with glowing fake logs. The food is basic pub grub, edible, but no frills.

I wouldn't stay here again, and in fact, wouldn't have booked at all if the description of the place had been more truthful. The White Hart is a fairly rare thing these days, a proper workingman's bar, the village boozer, with a basic restaurant and some basic rooms upstairs. Do not expect a smart country inn with upscale accommodation, ambience or any gastronomic ambitions. The White Hart's own website claims it's a 'beautfiul hotel....with a first-class a la carte restaurant' - I think not.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank gadsabout
Reviewed 8 February 2012

On my first visit as I came through the door of the bar I received a very friendly welcome from all present. Over two years later and more than 50 nights of staying here, I have never ceased to be made welcome. Food has always been great with a varied selection at competitive prices; rooms are clean and comfortable and as I cover the whole Country and stay in many similar establishments this one is definitely the best for value in both accomodation and food prices. I highly recommend this accomodation to fellow business people and couples alike!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived to the morning we left. The staff and villagers made us feel at home, our rooms were always tidy and the food locally sourced and very good. - particularly the steak and chips. A proper slice of Cornwall. We'll be back :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank James C
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I ended up at the White Hart by accident, when the nearby Halfway House in Torpoint messed up my booking. I got to the hotel late and full of a streaming cold and rasping cough. The staff were immediately friendly and helpful. My room was basic, but clean and tidy with TV, tea and coffee making facilities and enough hanging space and drawers for my needs.

Food is served down in the bar. Don't expect haute cuisine . . . If thats what you want, head down to Rick Stein territory. However if you want decent pub grub at a very cheap price (about £6 a meal) and good sized portions, look no further. Similarly, don't expect a refined ambience. This is a genuine pub used by local people. They are friendly and down to earth and enjoy a pint, a few laughs and a bit of banter.

Would I return? Yes. I like a pub and people with no airs and graces. Even though I enjoy luxury and 5 star lodgings, sadly my company wont pay for that. However I'm more than happy to enjoy a few drinks, a good pint and a bacon butty for breakfast.

Next time work takes me from Preston to Cornwall, I will happily stay here again

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank sowie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menheniot
Pencubitt House
#1 of 1 in Portwrinkle
Portbyhan Hotel
Portbyhan Hotel
#3 of 7 in Looe

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!