“Something missing”

Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Mevagissey
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were recommended Salamander by Pebble House . I have to say the food was good ,but the service was a bit off . I know people have to learn ,but the young girl trying to serve needs a bit more training before being let loose on the public . I also agree with a previous review about the lack of atmosphere , my husband and I said exactly the same thing when we were in there . I can't quite put my finger on what was missing , it was just a bit sterile. I enjoyed the food though , but my husband had cheese to finish and it was much too cold . I was thinking of taking my family to Salamander when we go back in September , but have now changed my mind .
It was fairly priced for the fresh food , but a restaurant is a whole package , not just about the food , it is the whole experience.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Mevagissy and ate twice at Salamander. For us it was a little haven offering fresh, local, tasty food with an efficient, friendly no fuss service. We had the hot crab pot - absolutely wonderful and full of flavour. The scallops were excellent and the Cornish whole sole was simply divine. If you want something a bit more "up market" and quieter this is the place to go but you do need to book.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Having booked earlier in the week we arrived at 7pm on a busy Friday and were glad we had a reservation, this is a small restaurant so do not expect to just turn up, you will not get in.
Nice friendly greeting and jug of water offered without being asked for- Excellent. No pressure to hurry your choice, but it is really small, and the waitress may as well have been sitting at our table - a wee bit stifling - to be fair. there is nowhere else for them to stand if they are to keep an eye on the customers and their needs.
Food was gorgeous, scallops couldn't have been fresher. or better cared for in Preparation and execution. It the Lamb is render line lamb but flavoured like it is much more mature. All beautifully complimented with nicely cooked veg and garnishes - this person knows their butters! My top tip to the chef - let your butters come to room temp before serving, nobody can wait for them to belt when they come out solid. A New Zealand Sauvignon at £19.95 wasa lovely choice. Overall I highly recommend this 'In town' choice. Go to the Kings Head for an after dinner drink and lively, friendly local chat.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The restaurant is very busy so booking is always necessary.
We visited on a Saturday evening and it was fully booked.
Food very nice but service was average. New waitress was a bit perplexed
The restaurant is very good value but lacks atmosphere and warmth. Enjoyed the food but that's about all.

1  Thank UKScrabbler
Reviewed 13 May 2014

All I need say is we found this amazing Resturant had a wonderful meal and then immediately booked in for two more nights.
Sublime, magnificent food and flavours.