“a lovely stay!”

Ranked #16 of 34 Mevagissey B&B and Inns
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“a lovely stay!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Jill and Alex are lovely hosts, make you feel very welcome. We were not able to get a family room, but we were welcome to bring an airbed for our 4 year old son.Nothing was too much trouble and Jill and Alex were lovely hosts. Breakfast was amazing, no small portions at the Mandalay, central for our stay, the hill back up fromt he village wasnt as bad I expected, but after walking and down hills in Cornwall all week I think my overall fitness had improved! we would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank xanderbov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Had a lovely welcome when we arrived. We had a large, clean and comfortable room for two nights overlooking the rear garden. The breakfast was excellent, it would be hard to better it in any hotel. The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk from the harbour and shops, but 10 to 15 minutes uphill to walk back. It has a large free car park making it unnecessary to park in the town. Our stay was excellent value for money and was enhanced by friendly and helpful owners, Jill and Joe, we would have no reservations about recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia G
Swindon
Reviewed 31 May 2013

stayed at the mandalay for my husbands birthday it was amazing Jill and Joe are so friendly breakfast is the best we have had in any bnb. cant wait 2 go back but will have 2 diet first. thank you Jill n Joe we had a fab break xx

3 Thank caroldottyhughes
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Booked the Mandalay originally because the guest house take dogs, but it exceeded our expectations. Jill & Joe were like old friends & nothing was too much trouble for them, & the pot of tea on arrival was most welcome. The room was clean & comfortable breakfast in the morning was huge & I defy anybody to leave the table still hungry. The close proximity to the harbour is also a bonus. I have rated the Mandalay a 5 as it is excellent value for money & the friendliness of Jill & Joe made the weekend a home away from home, we hope to be back for a visit in August. I highly recommend the Mandalay.

3 Thank 537sue
London
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Walking the coast path, we arrived in Mevagissey and struggled to find anywehere to stay. Our shared room was a bit strange with the shower in the corner of a bedroom rather than in a separate room. The owners were very friendly and helpful and seemed to be genuine, nice people.

The rooms and beds were comfortable enough. The breakfast was ok but perhaps a bit basic in quality. The place was clean but a little "lived in" but it was comfortable and I imagine that the friendliness of the owners mean that they get plenty of people coming back again and again.

Its a little on the edge of town but perfectly walkable for most people.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Winkleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Just me and my two dogs stayed overnight. I was blown away by being served a pot of tea in my room on arrival AND help with my bags. The bedroom & bathroom were spotlessly clean and I had a big bay window overlooking the fields. The breakfast was substantial (two eggs automatically with the 'Full English'). I have rated this a 5 because it was such EXCELLENT value for money (particularly in Mevagissey). Needs to be said that the walk down to the village centre is easy but back up the hill is quite a haul (although I challenge anyone to find a cheaper & better B&B within the village itself). Mevagissey is, after all, built on a hill. The decor is a bit twee, but I'm not really fussed about the interior design! The owners couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Just_like_travelling
Bristol
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Originally, we chose the Mandalay becuase it has parking (a premium in Mevagissey) and it's close proximity to the harbour. They are both exactly the case, couldn't be better... but this place offers so much more. We had a lovely bright airy room with beautiful countryside views, it was clean, comfortable and suited our needs perfectly.
The breakfast is mammoth, but I like a challenge.. and on our day of departure I got one.. to keep me going on the journey home!
This is just one example of the hospitality shown by the owners, Joe and Jill. Nothing is too much trouble for these lovely people, they are like a double act and the breakfast sitting is as entertaining as anything else!
The Mandalay is a proper old school bed and breakfast, great value, clean and welcoming.. and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to anyone!

2 Thank TheCookiesBristol