“Great food spoiled by parsimony”

Maharaaj Finest Indian Cuisine
Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Mevagissey
Cuisines: Indian, Balti
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mevagissey, United Kingdom
“Great food spoiled by parsimony”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to give this restaurant a 5 star review, but the experience was spoiled by a couple of things. If there was a "good" rating I would rather have rated it "good" than "very good" but that is not an option, and it is better than "average". The food was very good, and a massive improvement on the previous Indian restaurant in the same premises. My wife and I visited early on a mid week evening and were met by friendly, courteous staff. We had some papadums with very good chutneys, and a couple of beers. We chose two meals from the Maharaaj specials, which included pilau rice and salad for £13.95 each. The dishes were well cooked and flavoursome, but the salad was just a few lettuce leaves and half a tomato, and the portion of rice was tiny (just enough for my wife's very small appetite.) I asked the waiter for a little more and he brought a plate of plain boiled rice, which I later found added to the bill. Given the cost of rice, I found this surprising. The portion of curry was sufficient, but not over-generous. By the time we had finished, several more diners had come in, and the service became much less attentive. I tried several times to catch the eye of a waiter to get my bill, but eventually gave up and went to the counter to pay. A great shame, because with a little effort this could be a very good restaurant. I will go again in the hope that this was a one-off experience, and because the quality of the food justifies it.

1 Thank Cornishdave
Elkee M, Manager at Maharaaj Finest Indian Cuisine, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
We appreciate your review and please accept our apology for you experience with us.
I am glad you felt the need to write this review as we did have a few bumps in the beginning, Staff Training was during service and working in an Indian restaurant is a challenge in itself.
We hope to see you again soon so you can reexamine your time with us and the service you will be given once more.
Thank you for you comment on our food we strive to give an overall great meal.

Kind Regards

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Could not have picked a better place to spend my evening! Had a 3 course meal with my wife and a few drinks. Food arrived about 20 minutes after ordering (baring in mind it was quite busy) and it wasn't brilliant. Not too much that you couldn't eat anymore and not leaving you hungry, perfect portions and flavour.

Served by excellent waiters and a young boy. Truly the highlight of my holiday so far.

Anyone wanting a reccomendation for where to eat, I wouldn't have to think about it. The majaraaj is where you want to be!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Davedunham3345
Thank you for this fantastic review, we could not want anything else in a review,
we hope you come back and enjoy your meal and time again.

Many Thanks

Newport, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

On a visit to Mevagissey with my husband for a few nights and fancied a change from fish!

Great food, good choice, excellent value set menus, and friendly waiters.

Very full now!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Icklegeek
All the staff here are try our best to make your experience the best possible.
we hope you visit us again.

Many Thanks