“Tired, dated and it smells!”

Kilbol Country House Hotel and Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mevagissey
Kilbol Country House Hotel and Cottages
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Mevagissey
Hertfordshire
“Tired, dated and it smells!”
Reviewed 30 August 2007

I booked this place in desperation as I was trying to find late booking in early July,I never usually book without checking this site. I have just read the review about the small print, but I would say beware the large print. The website and brochure use the word Luxury to decribe the cottages here. Well if badly fitted cheap carpets, faded dated lampshades your granny would throw out, 1970's patterned bed linen, mismatched head boards and bed covers, dated bathroom (the ensuite has a bath but no shower - now how much would that cost?), night storage heaters, so you boil in the day and freeze at night and furniture that looks like it came from a bring and buy sale constitutes luxury the description is fair.

The proprietors are the most unfrienfly people I have encountered for a long time ( rules include having your electrical goods inspected before you plug them in, and our greeting after an 8 hour drive was that we had arrived inconveniently in the middle of dinner) and afterwards sent me a really unpleaseant letter accusing me of short paying as they quoted me a price for a late booking (cancellation) which I paid for when I booked and then tried to tell me I didn't tell them about a fifth person staying (in the cottage for 6) which I clearly did. They made the mistake and treated me like some kind of criminal!

I also had to buy an air freshner block as the place smelt so damp and musty (I also found several discarded ones in a cupboard)- a fact they are aware of as we arrived on a cold evening and all the windows were wide open. Among all the dos' and don'ts he never told us how to turn on a heater despite the cold.

Its a shame because it could be nice, but the whole place smacks of meanness.

I also went expecting to be able to eat in the retaurant, but the dining room resembles an old peoples home and the menu features orange, or pineapple juice in its selection of starters and omlette as a main.Need I say more?

I have written a lot of reviews on this site, most of them good, as I travel a lot on business, and appreciate it when people make an effort, so i am not a hard to please groaner.

Avoid!

• Liked — Could take the dog, position and cottage itself nice, butu decor awful
  • Disliked — The owners, the penny pinching on decor
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
dogswelcome, owner at Kilbol Country House Hotel and Cottages, responded to this review, 4 September 2008
The comments made regarding kilbol were particularly hurtful and even more so when the truth has been so ecomonically used and exageration widely used. We feel therefore that a response is appropriate.

We do not wish to offer counter comment for the whole review, but to expose the extent of exageration we would respond to the "fruit juices and omlette" comment. Indeed our menu does include both fruit juices and omlettes, but it also includes three other starters and five other main courses. One of the main courses will be suitable for vegetarians and we also offer an oriental choice, a catch of the day and a steak cooked to order. Additionally there are at least three sweets and a west country cheese board.
This four course dinner menu changes every single day.
For breakfast the choices include fruit juices, dried fruits, cereals, yogurt and fresg fruit. Followed by fresh farm eggs, the full English breakfast, locally smoked kippers, smoked haddock and devilled kidneys are also on the breakfast menu daily.
Incidentally the comment regardin food was made by someone who never even used the dining room during her stay.

Finally, we have owned thsi small country hotel for 18 years. Our two cottages have been available for the past 10 years. Our reputation speaks for itself in that our repeat business tops 55% . Visit the hotel or cottages and make up your own mind.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Surrey
Reviewed 11 April 2007

This is a bit of an odd review as we haven't stayed here yet! My partner's 70 year old mother had seen the Kilbol advertised (we believe) in a WI magazine and she made a booking with the hotel direct. She sent the requested deposit and booking form but a couple of weeks later she had to cancel. We checked the website for her and noted that it clearly says that the deposit will be refunded if you cancel more than 3 weeks before your stay. However when we contacted the hotel we were told that their full cancellation terms (which aren't on the website) are that the deposit is only refunded if you cancel more than 3 weeks before and IF THEY CAN RE-LET THE ROOMS! This crucial statement was nowhere on their website nor in the body of the main letter that they sent - apparently it was in the 'small print' on the reverse of the letter which also formed part of the tear off acceptance slip that had to be returned with the deposit.

We believe that this is very misleading and we would suggest to the Kilbol that it would be so much fairer if they changed their website and the booking confirmation letter so that it was clear that no matter how far in advance you cancelled, the deposit would only ever be refunded if they re-let the rooms. It's a very easy thing to do and it then makes it clear to everyone where they stand. We can now only wait and hope that the rooms are re-let so that she can have her money refunded. We would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems.

Stayed April 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mevagissey
Trevalsa Court Country House Hotel