“Our favourite place to stay in Cornwall”

Wild Air Guest House
Ranked #5 of 35 Mevagissey B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Our favourite place to stay in Cornwall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Our review is late but our September stay was not our first at Wild Air. Always everything has been excellent. Clare could not be more helpfull and the location is perfect. A few minutes walk to the harbour and many options for your evening meal without using the car. We have always enjoyed a good meal trying the different recommendations of Clares. The location is ideal for visiting 'The Lost Gardens of Heligan' and many others. To have their own parking outside for cars added greatly to our stay. I have forgotten to mention the views from the bedrooms, they are amazing and could not be better. It will not be long before we will be trying to rebook.

Room Tip: The bedrooms all have superb views out to sea and of Mevagissey.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
scareyCornwall, Owner at Wild Air Guest House, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Many thanks for your late review. We are always delighted to have you as returning guests and this is exactly what we are striving to achieve. Our views are as you say quite amazing, as can be seen on our website (we do not use zoom lenses they really are THAT spectacular!) I hope you had a good holiday on the Isles of Scilly and look forward to seeing you both before too long.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Somerville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

If you want somewhere stunning and restful this is the place to go. Wild air is on the top of a hill overlooking the harbour. You have this view out of your bedroom window and you can sit at a table out the front and just watch the boats in the harbour. The B & B is clean and provides all your needs, including a lovely breakfast. The host Clare is very helpful and nothing is too much trouble, she may even supply you with a cake or 2 to sit outside with your coffee or wine to watch the water. It is a short walk to the harbour which has quite an array of hotels and restaurants. Parking is virtually nonexistent in Megavissey so it is brilliant to be able o park your car there and walk. I agree with the other reviewers if you go to the stunning Megavissey then Wild Air is the place to stay. I also would like to know if the seagull egg hatched and survived.

Room Tip: Room Tip: We had Room 3 which has a view straight out to the harbour through a bay window. It had a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lovely to have your glowing review Debbie. We really are very lucky to not only have coastal views all the way to Plymouth but also of the harbour and village too. Add to that the benefit of onsite parking for all our guests we are the ONLY B&B in Mevagissey to be able to provide all this. Really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to meet you again one day. Will email you regarding eggs. Thanks again.
Beer, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Wild Air is a fantastic B & B, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Its set in a position to afford stunning views and has good parking. The choice at breakfast is brilliant and i wish i could have stayed longer to try them all. Clare is a very good host and i found it a lovely peaceful place to spend a couple of nights.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
scareyCornwall, Owner at Wild Air Guest House, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you Paul for your kind positive comments. We really are very lucky to have such fantastic views that take in miles of coastline AND the harbour, a peaceful location, plus parking, it is a rarity in Mevagissey to have it all! I am delighted that you enjoyed your break and sorry it was under such circumstances. Hope to see you for longer next time.
Hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

The standard of all aspects of Wild Air is outstanding. Room decor and furninshings are to the highest standrad. The bed was so very comfortable and the bedding high quality. The colour schemes and chioce of paintings on the walls create a homely and very stylish ambience. Bathroom facilities are high end quality and scrupulously clean as was my room and all rooms in the house. All rooms have views of the harbour and sea and there is a great terrace at the front for tea/cocktails in the sun. Clare, our host was very friendly, very approachable and pointed us to many things to do in the area. She organised restaurants for us and produced a lovely surprise of tea and cakes in the afternoon. Parking spaces next to the house made a big difference - not everyone has them and parking is very difficult in Mevagissey. It was great to stay with a local traditonal family who have been central to preserving the fishing ecomony of Mevagissey for over 400 years. Now onto breakfast - again I cannot comment more highly and glowingly. A full range of options - all cooked to perfection - I tried the full Conrnish one day and the smoked haddock and poached egg the other - top marks for both. My visit to Wlid Air really lifted my spirits - in summary, this was due to the highest quality and top standards provided and due to Clare's warmth, attention to detail and good humour. A great lady - go and stay with her.

Room Tip: ALL rooms are superb with sea/harbour views.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sheila B
scareyCornwall, Owner at Wild Air Guest House, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Oh my word Sheila, I know you said I would need a hankie when I read your review but I think I need a box of Kleenex!

We are always pleased to have feedback from our guests especially when it is so positive; it makes our efforts all the more worthwhile. So I am delighted to hear that Wild Air ticked all your boxes and more, and thank you for your very kind comments about me personally. It was a great pity that I was unable to accommodate you both for the 2 nights you requested, but I was very pleased you were able to stay at a neighbouring B&B for your 2nd night and return to join Mary for afternoon tea and breakfast. It worked well for us all. We are always amazed at how much people enjoy the fact that they are staying with a fishing family with such a long history with the village, so I am happy to hear you enjoyed that aspect too.

Your very personal review is original, detailed and mentions many aspects that you enjoyed here and is clearly written from the heart, which shines through. I am truly touched that you took the time to share your experience in such a glowing way. I hope to welcome you both back again soon. Thank you very much.
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I can't fault this place. It's beautifully located with private parking and all facilities are spotlessly clean. Room 2 has a large en suite and the most fantastic views imaginable. Don't be put off by the communal dining arrangement. It really does work. We met some lovely people and it was nice to share experiences of our stay over breakfast. Things to do - Fowey ferry, Lost Gardens of Heligan, St Mawes and the Falmouth ferry, and the coastal path walk to Gorran Haven. Eat at Roovray's and Salamander, but we didn't try the Blue Cafe which is supposed to be good. The Portuguese place on the harbour was a hugely overpriced disappointment. Clare is a wonderful host and we had particularly long chats about everything interesting! Would love to know if the seagull hatched the egg on the opposite terrace! I intend to go to Mevagissey again and Wild Air is the only place I would stay.

3 Thank HilVal
scareyCornwall, Owner at Wild Air Guest House, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Hilary, it was my absolute pleasure to have you and Neil stay with us for the week and thanks very much for your lovely comments. I am delighted that you not only enjoyed Wild Air, but also Mevagissey and all the day trips that you did. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the dining arrangement; we did have some great conversations. I very much enjoy breakfast time myself, it is a great opportunity for me to get to know my guests and help them get the most from our beautiful County. I will be emailing you about the trauma of the seagull later!! Many thanks again and look forward to seeing you again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We had a lovely stay at this very comfortable and welcoming B&B. It's in a superb position with enviable views from the front rooms. I recommend taking a good pair of binoculars with you - although Clare even provides these for you. The place is immaculately clean and the food delicious. The only thing I should have preferred would have been separate dining tables. Not that I didn't enjoy meeting the other delightful guests but it would have been nice to have a little more privacy. Notwithstanding that, I recommend Wild Air wholeheartedly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your very positive comments about your stay at Wild Air; I agree the views from your room really are the best in Mevagissey, the binoculars come in very handy! We do state on our website that guests share a large table at breakfast time. We have found this to work exceptionally well for us and our guests, very very few guests have not enjoyed it. I note your comments, and am glad that despite your reservations you enjoyed long chats with the other guests during breakfast. We stayed at a B&B once ourselves and the silence was deafening and made for a very unpleasant atmosphere, so not for us here. We hope to welcome you both again soon.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We recently returned to Wild Air for a second time after a break of two years. The four night stay was as good if not better than our first visit with a warm welcome from Clare for whom nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were excellent with plenty of variety and the rooms spotless. The convenient location meant we were able to leave the car and walk into Mevagissey with it's choice of eating places for an evening meal before walking it off back up the hill. Most of all we enjoyed the stunning views of the harbour and surrounding coastline. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian, thanks so much for your glowing review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your second stay at Wild Air even more than your first; we must be doing something right! As you know it is repeat visits that we strive for with our guests and after 14 years we pretty much have returning guests every week which we feel speaks volumes. Look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mevagissey
Mevagissey Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charlestown
Pebble House Guesthouse
Pebble House Guesthouse
#1 of 35 in Mevagissey

Been to Wild Air Guest House? Share your experiences!