“little bit of Portugal in Cornwall”
Review of Alvorada

Alvorada
Ranked #10 of 40 Restaurants in Mevagissey
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of Mevagissey. A traditional authentic Portuguese Restaurant seating up to 20 Serving fresh locally caught fish ( we supply the fish ourselves as Antonio, the chef is also a fisherman) and meat. Open for lunch serving Tapas and evenings serving a full menu. Wines , beers and spirits are all from Portugal. Family run business.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Having been to Alvorada in it's previous locations, we were pleased to see that it has now moved to the wonderful position in the corner of the harbour, occupied many years ago by a great fish restaurant called "Mr Bistro". Great to see that the building is again occupied by a great restaurant.
Apart from visiting Mevagissey for decades, we have also been visiting Portugal for decades, so a recent trip with family for the "Heligan 100" commemoration triggered a restaurant search on Tripadvisor, as a result of which we opted to revisit. The food was as great, as we had remembered, all four of us opting for the seafood arroz (bit like a sloppy paella), full of crab, prawns, lobster, mussels and white fish.
We asked Antonio where he got his fish - he beamed and said "I caught it this afternoon" - I can't think of a better recommendation than that! Also a great selection of Portugese wines, which we don't get enough of over here.

1  Thank prunesquallor

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a very enjoyable evening here however there are a couple of points that need to be made.
1) Reservation to get table of choice had to be made for 1830 (opening time) - but we could the tabel all night which didn't quite add up
2) Definately a family run place - so not over professional - friendly but service a bit casual for a restuarnt that charges these prices.

That said - view of harbour is great. Food fresh & well prepared. Piri piri chicken excellent (nothing like Nandos). House rose (500ml carafe for £11.00) went doen very well.
Nice place to sit and spend the evening - not rushed, nice & relaxing - which makes up for the points made above.
I'd happily return on a nice summer evening.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nothing tasted fresh or loved that came out of this kitchen. Everything is overcooked and flaccid or mealy. Even the bread was sad. This place is a candidate for Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares, only it seems there are a lot of people who actually claim to enjoy the place. I'm baffled by the reviews here and guess they're written by people who only eat in restaurants when they're on holiday. There are much better places in this town and better value too. Dine elsewhere.

1  Thank Thomas812312
SueMevagissey, Owner at Alvorada, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Wow, what a review. We don't know who you are or when you eat with us but if the food was horrible surely you would of said something. With fish from our own boat and bread collected daily from the local bakery this review totally baffles us. Regarding Gordon Ramsey, we'll have a word with him when he is down next.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Over the years we've eaten in Alvorada many times - now in the third location which, for various reasons, we hadn't been to before. Location changed, for the better as this is on the quay so central to all the promenaders, but the food, the theatre of the kitchen, and the welcome remain as ever. Unfortunately, because I had been seduced by the Veal Chop on the Pullman menu on the train down to St Austell, I was unable to finish the last Sardine! The Black Pudding starter may have also contributed to the fullness! Mrs P had the Garlic Mushroom starter and the Scallops for main and pronounced both as very good too. Hopefully it won't be so long till we visit again - but a good iob we booked before leaving home as it was well filled.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Sooo disappointed and shocked by the rudeness! Yesterday was the last day of my stay with my best friend, and we visited Mevagissey for the day. After a lovely day, the sunshine was beautiful, the boat trips fantastic, and the cliff walks wonderful, I thought how nice it would be to finish off my visit with a meal in a specially nice fish restaurant. We found Alvorada by the harbour and the recommendations in the window seemed to indicate it was just the place. We had an hour and a half to wait till it opened, but thought, despite my friend being very tired by that time, and being over an hour drive from home, that it looked as though it would be really well worth the wait.

We duly arrived at 6.30, since we were so pleased to find there was a table available. But unfortunately my friend is in her late 70s, with cancer, heart disease and arthritis, and has generally flagged by the end of the day, which means she cannot manage a big meal. So she likes to have just a starter and sweet and asked for this. We had noticed that at the bottom of the menu, however, it says that all clients must have a main course, so she quietly asked if it would be possible, since she couldn't manage the main. She was told very brusquely and unsympathetically that it is stated on the menu that she had to have a main, and that it was restaurant policy. She was told that the restaurant is very popular and that we didn't need to stay because they could fill every table three times over. We attempted to find something suitable from the menu, since I had been so looking forward to the perfect meal to end our day, but I commented that I felt there should be some flexibility and consideration under individual circumstances. At which point the proprietress said to us if we didn't like it, we had better leave!

Goodness, what atrocious customer care! We left. Can't tell you what the food was like, but I note that there are other comments here on trip advisor that have found exactly the same thing from this proprietor. We were really upset by her unpleasant attitude. Completely spoiled an otherwise lovely day.

1  Thank BrionyBAP

I don't often reply to reviews but on this occasion I feel I need to respond. I asked you to leave in a non aggressive way after you decided to voice your opinion in a very rude manner regarding our restaurant. I was aware other customers were trying to enjoy their evening but with your constant negative comments I advised it was best to leave.