Polurrian Bay Hotel
US$161
US$189
Premier Inn Helston Hotel(Helston)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$182
Orbitz.com
US$118
Priceline
Budock Vean Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
US$314
US$251
Priceline
Meudon Hotel(Falmouth)
US$217
Trelawne Hotel(Mawnan Smith)
US$119
All reviewsvista loungefamily hotelsea viewgames roombaby listeningleisure facilitiestable footballcomfy sofaswaiting staffamazing viewslounge areathe cliffstunning hotelbreakfast and dinnerwine listkids clubindoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I'm staying in Mullion looking after my elderly mother and on Sunday 31 August I went for a walk, not having access to a car at the moment. I walked through Mullion village ( Not pedestrian friendly!) down to the Pollurian Bay Hotel, on my sisters' recommendation as she drives my mother there regularly for coffee in the terrace.k
I first of all explored the path down to the picturesque cove, then went not the hotel.
I thought that it was very attractive & spotlessly clean on the ground floor and the reception person was friendly. ( I didn't go upstairs).
I went through the indoor terrace area with magnificent views of the sea and surrounding countryside and sat outside while I had coffee and toast( Breakfast was finished bit the staff were very cooperative and friendly.
The hotel was peaceful and quiet
And the few guests I chatted to were very happy with their stay. The gardens are well maintained And I noticed an outdoor pool and a grass tennis court and children's play area.
I personally was made very welcome although only having coffee but I wouldn't hesitate to return regularly and to try a meal there.
If I needed somewhere to stay in Mullion I would definitely choose the Pollurian Bay Hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Julia G
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your very kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your short visit to the hotel. The gardens have been a joy for us too and we plan to continue our planting immediately outside the Vista Terrace so that the display is even better next year. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the very near future.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had a great time but were extremely disappointed with the food and service. Having stayed at Fowey Hall last year, we assumed that the set up at Polurrian would be the same or similar. At Fowey staff cannot do enough for you and dinner each evening is a very special affair with extremely professional/polite staff and absolutely delicious top quality food.

The food at Polurrian varies from being average to very poor. After reading the sample menu on the website we assumed there would be lots of dishes that utilised local seafood but it was nothing like it. Pollock was widely used which is a pretty cheap and not particularly tasty fish. Specials would be the same as on the menu with one ingredient changed (this happened twice). On another occasion, my 'special' starter was infact the starter on the main menu when it arrived. The pork belly had no crackling and had a Bisto style gravy with a large rugby ball of mash - the Duck a l'Orange had the same Bisto gravy but a few segments of orange. The samphire was twiggy - the kind of thing I would expect at a Harvester. Towards the end of our 5 day stay I found it difficult to actually find a dish that I could eat let alone enjoy. The only dish i didn't try was the steak which had a £5 supplement - I was put off by the fact another guest had complained about hers.

Breakfast was another disappointment - frequently having to ask for tea and coffee, order forgotten, orders arriving twice. The menu of cooked breakfast was pretty much the same as the buffet apart from the eggs (which you could choose) and the shop bought waffles with jam on. The £5 per child suppliment for breakfast was also quite steep when considering our two only ate a bowl of Rice Crispies each. They often ran out of bowls and glasses in the buffet area too.

I don't mind the idea of a barless lounge but to sit at a dirty table, wait 15mins for someone to take your order, when they come and take your order don't clear the drinks away until they arrive back 10mins later and are asked to - and the quality of the cocktails is very poor - the Blueberry Crush tasted like Ribena with a shot of Vodka and 3 icecubes thrown in! When ordering, I had to spell the name of the drink as the staff member didnt know the cocktails (there was only 6 to memorise) Again, the barless lounge at both Fowey and Woolley Grange work well.

With London prices being asked for, we actually felt pretty ripped off by the end of our holiday -this is not a Luxury Family Hotel by any means. Under any other name, it would have been merely average to poor. What is really annoying is that the complaints on Trip Advisor are all replied to with a 'thanks - we will pass the comments on' but these are all complaints that have been going on for months now - it's not getting any better,

On the plus side, our kids absolutely loved Donna in the Den who is definitely your best member of staff - the creche the best asset of all your hotels we have experienced. Please, get some staff to oversee what's going on to keep standards up and do some proper training - it was as if it was just a job for everyone there - no real customer empathy or customer service.

3  Thank Cath999999
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

I am sorry to read that your recent stay with us was less than what you expected. It is most regrettable that you felt unable to bring these matters to our attention during your stay as we would naturally wished to have been of assistance at the time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we look forward to using your feedback in a constructive way so that we can do better in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We arrived at the time of check in to find our room not ready had to wait 45 minutes eventually offered complimentary tea and coffee, couldn't go to the pool whilst waiting as spa towels in the room! No offer with help of bags at check in or check out. Poor waiting staff no one around at the evening meal then suddenly several members of staff not knowing what the others is doing, order taken then 10 minutes later asked if we wanted to hear the specials! Breakfast, food was good excellent choice but again poor waiting staff, tea and coffee didn't arrive until half way through our breakfast. Second morning of our stay woken at 6.50am by a truck parking outside our garden room to mend a fence. Given a questionnaire to fill in at breakfast before checkout I wrote my opinions and gave them to the lady on reception and said would someone like to discuss this with me at checkout, yes she replied. At checkout I was just handed my bill in a very rude manor I had to complain about not being ale to complain?!! Outdoor pool pointless not heated, no cover and kids can't wear wetsuits we were told nothing could be done to change that, yes there is heat it, cover it or allow wetsuits!! We have stayed at many of the luxury hotels in this chain and the Polurrian is not luxury it's pleasant, we chose the Polurrian as we wanted a luxury break? We received a small amount of compensation but this does not make up for the fact we came away with poor memory's that can't be erased and precious time we can't get back.

1  Thank Lisa S

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay. It was good to have had the opportunity to speak with you personally prior to your departure and to take on board your comments. We always look to learn from our mistakes and to change things within our control. We would never wish any of our guests to feel disappointed and to this end we strive to do better. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us, your feedback is valuable and most appreciated.

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days in August and even though the hotel was fully booked it never felt crowded and there was always plenty of space. Our bedroom was lovely and clean, the bed was so comfy that I had the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. The breakfast was amazing with plenty of choice for all the family. We also ate here on evening and again the food was first class. The only slight down side is the drinks are a little pricey. The location of the hotel is lovely and it was nice to sit out in the evenings and watch the sun set. The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I would definatley recommend staying here if you are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Zoe - Thank you for your very kind review. It's great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us specially when the hotel was operating at full tilt during the school holidays. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back next time you are visiting Cornwall.

Yvonne Colgan - General Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Lovely view. Nice modern setting. We had the BLT with Chips and a cup of tea, very nice, service excellent, and friendly staff. Loos spotless and nicely decorated with cloth towels. I'd will defiantly visit again soon. They even let us leave our car in the car park whilst we went for a walk. along the coast.

1  Thank babydixon
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you for taking time out to post a review following your recent visit. It's good to know that you enjoyed your experience and got in a coastal walk after lunch. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back later in the season and are happy to offer advice on suggested walks if needed.

Yvonne Colgan - General Manager