“Amazing wedding venue!!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mullion
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Amazing wedding venue!!”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just got home from the most fantastic wedding at the Polurian Bay Hotel. The wedding party had exclusive use from 28th Feb - 2nd March. Firstly the hotels positition is stunning. We had an interconnecting room with our children which was amazing as was the sea view from the well designed feature windows. The staff in this hotel are so attentive and worked really hard at ensuring that we were all made to feel really special. The wedding itself was completely seamless and had many extra special touches. I particularly liked how the hotels newsletter was altered to incorporate information about the wedding and the bride and groom. As a family we are so taken with this hotel and will definitely be returning!!! Thanks to all involved.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sammike72
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed staying with us for this very special occasion. We really enjoyed hosting this wonderful event on an exclusive use basis which I hope added that extra house party feel. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future. Yvonne, Clare and the Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Korean first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We visited the Polurrian Bay Hotel in January this year as a weekend birthday treat for my partner. I was looking in particular for a spa hotel that looked as though a baby would not be problematic for them as some hotels claim to be family oriented but aren't. Guided by the reviews and the fact it was open in January, a few hotels close down for this month, I arranged the booking secretly for my partner. The pre arrival emails were very helpful and allowed me to plan the weekend break perfectly.

The position of the hotel is stunning, as close as you'd want to be on the cliff next to the sea! Our room was a superior double with a great sea view and plenty of room for a cot for our baby son. My partner was delighted at the flowers and chocolates the hotel arranged for me and they even provided a birthday card which was a nice touch.

The hotel is great inside, lots of places to sit and the views from the refurbished lounge area are oustanding, a really nice design. It's a pity the woodburner had issues at the time so couldn't be lit, it would have been amazing in the evening.

It really is a place for kids and it makes it a lot more relaxing knowing there are other families there, I wasn't afraid of my son "causing a scene" amidst so many other families with young children. The baby listening phones were great as we could leave our son in the room and dial into the room phone to check on him, it was quite liberating to be able to do that and enjoy a quite drink or two with my partner.

My partner really enjoyed the spa treatments, the facials were "heavenly" which made me glad I got vouchers for my partner to spend in the spa as she saw fit. I thought the swimming pool a bit smaller than what the picture on the website alluded to but it was a good enough size for the amount of people when we went.

Food was generally of a high standard, we dined in the "fine dining" resturant as well as the area for the standard menu. Some parts were bordering on what I would call fine dining but, in my opinion, it was a notch or two below that. I also had one of the blandest dishes I've ever had, the crayfish linguini on the Sunday as we hung back to have some Sunday lunch. However, because the overall break was excellent I decided not to leave any feedback at the time and end on a sour note.

Breakfasts were delicious, just the right size for me having a full english each day. Get in early to claim the sea view seats!

Service was patchy. Sometimes the waiters/waitresses would be on the ball but on a few occasions you'd be left waiting for someone to serve or you'd have to go looking. It would be nice to have an offical bar where you could go up and order drinks but I'm guessing if the area worked staffing-wise as it was meant to, it technically wouldn't need it.

I also thought the reception area, as homely as it's trying to be, is not the best design if there's a few people waiting. On entering the hotel for the first time, the receptionist could see us as we were directly behind another party, but didn't acknowledge us by saying "I'll be with you in a minute" so we were parked in the front foyer waiting our turn and feeling a little ignored.

There were some standout staff, namely Joshua (or Josh) and his Portugese "brother" whose name I forget! Joshua looked after us throughout and is quite a character, a bit different from the typical run of the mill staff in some other places who don't interact. I can see him running the place in future and is a definite asset to the company, we would be dissapointed if he weren't there next time we come!

Overall though it is a fantastic family hotel that's only slightly let down by a couple of minor issues, nut not enough to spoil our trip though, more irritating than anything else as it wouldn't take much to sort them.

I would DEFINITELY come again with children, it really is a perfect place for the family.

Room Tip: Choose a superior sea view room, you won't regret it! I was toying with the more expensive famil...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your very kind review. It's good to know that you enjoyed your visit and found that the hotel worked well for you as a family. Thanks also for your observations and feedback which helps the team to focus not only on what works well but the areas we can continue to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are visiting the Lizard. Yvonne, Josh. Pedro and the Team.
somerset
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Five Girlfriends and I have just returned from a two night winter 'special'. It certainly was special. The rooms were well appointed and frankly, lovely. Very comfortable beds, super bathrooms and lovely furnishings. The beautiful small seating areas dotted around the hotel were little treasure chests full of interesting art, books, ceramics and made you feel you were almost alone in the hotel. The views from the Vista lounge were superb and we were lucky to enjoy beautiful weather. Where oh where to start with the food. Amazing breakfasts with wonderful staff with the patience of Jobe - between six of us we ate more food than the kitchen could prepare (it was the sea air!) a constant supply of tea and toast trooped out of the kitchen. Dinner was more than we could have hoped for and the menu was brilliant with surprising specials that tickled our palates (never change the beef - heavenly). The overindulgence led us to the gym and swimming pool - okay we only looked at the gym but swam every morning before breakfast and in the afternoon too. The Jacuzzi was a wonderful rest cure after eating too!!!! All of us decided that we would like to return with husbands etc. and will definitely (if the staff can stand the strain) return for another winter 'special' next year. Thank you to all the staff for their care, courtesy and patience that helped make this a very 'special' girls on tour break.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed wonderful, sea view or not.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Clare J, Front Office Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
What a lovely reveiw! - thank you so much - please spread the word and come back and see us anytime.
Clare & Team
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

we took advantage of their mid week winter 3 day special offer - great value.
We had amazing views from our room, the staff were relaxed and friendly, and the food was top class. I would definitely go again and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. We used the pool and had a massage which I would also recommend. We were able to take the dog and they have a dog friendly snug. Great walks along the cliffs.

1 Thank chiffkat
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. It's good to know that you and your four legged friend enjoyed your short break with us. We are all making the most of the bright spring days, it's feeling positively warm in the sunshine. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back before too long. Yvonne & The Team
Bristol
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay. We love and cannot fault the location, it's our go to area to get away for R & R, and the sea view rooms, following their recent refurb are very good.
The food is very good and with enough choice to suit our tastes, the portions are only just large enough to not be called small, but only just. The coffee at breakfast is very weak, we like our coffee and we like it strong, even when we asked for strong coffee we were still served a weak brew, its a small thing but for coffee drinkers the morning coffee at breakfast is very important.
Although breakfast it till 10.00hrs, if you would like to have a croissant you need to be there before 09.00hrs, I asked 2 members of staff about the lack of croissants and received bland mumblings that there were croissants available earlier!! We arrived for breakfast at 09.10hrs.
The service is still hit and miss in the restaurant, long waits between courses (35 mins on our first night) having to ask for water or bread or toast twice. It does let the hotel down.
It was also disappointing to be told the pool was unavailable to guests during certain times each day as the local swimming clubs use it, this should be clearly explained when you book.
The door slamming is a problem as a previous reviewer states and I would hazard a guess that it is probably the children who are running along the corridors and slamming the doors.
Summary, location is clearly superb, service is still hit and miss.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review following this your third visit to the hotel. I am glad to hear that you still enjoy the location and thank you for your observations for improvements. It is always useful to receive feedback and share it with the respective teams. Interestingly we recently had a meeting with our coffee supplier and installed a coffee grinder which dispenses consistent measures to our cafetiere's. Next time you visit please just ask for double measures to ensure it is up to the strength you prefer. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future. Yvonne & the Team
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel. Both times we noticed just how much energy is wasted, and how little is done to encourage guests to recycle. Lights were left on all day, even in sunny areas, and the temperature in the large communal areas was far too hot. A standard response from the hotel might be, "We can't please everyone all the time." But that would be ill-advised - there is an ambient background temperature which is known to suit humans, and this hotel was way off mark. This lack of responsibility towards the environment puts us off going again, I must admit. I did leave written suggestions for the hotel staff (they encourage you to do so) as to how they might become more environmentally friendly, but I had no acknowledgment of this, let alone feedback for my suggestions. I think they just ask for suggestions so people like me feel they've said what needs to be said in private, and won't share it on sites like these! That would have been the case had they replied to me. They even sent a standard email after our stay asking for more feedback! I replied, but still nothing. Insulting really. What's important is that the environment matters - this hotel hasn't grasped that idea yet.
Value was good for our stay as we had a Groupon deal.
Breakfast great - plentiful and tasty. Evening meal disappointing - we didn't feel we'd eaten a hearty, satisfying meal and therefore the meal didn't match the price, we thought.
All staff - except one - were friendly, efficient and had a professional interest in us as guests.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Yvonne C, General Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review after your visit to us in January. It is good to know that you enjoyed your visit overall. I was however sorry to learn that you had not received a response to your email. My personal email address would have been visible on our "post visit" email to you - perhaps you would be kind enough to forward your original email to me and I would be only too pleased to reply. Thank you again for visiting and for your review. Yvonne Colgan - General Manager
Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were very pleased with our four night stay at The Polurrian Bay Hotel, Mullion in February 2014.

The food was excellent. The restaurant for dinner (at least in the winter) offers a fixed choice menu of around six starters, mains and desserts. This remains the same every night but they also offer a different chef's special starter, main course and dessert each night.

The staff in the restaurant and hotel were well trained and very attentive. One waiter had rather a lot to say for himself, however after the first eveing he went off on three days leave anyway, which we were pleased about! All the other staff were brilliant. There is no bar now as such. You have to rely on waiter service in the lounge rooms and the Vista Lounge. This was no problem as the service was quick and effficient. Breakfast was excellent on three days but only "good" on one day when there were no pastries or fruit salad put out - restricting our choice. I did not raise this with management as it was a minor issue.

The room comfort was good and spacious. There was no real drawer space which was odd, but there was plenty of hanging space in open wardrobes in the room. It would have been nice to have some drawers to put undies, hankies and folded clothes in, but we managed without. The extra large double bed was extremely comfortable, and the walk in shower very powerful and efficient. The wifi worked fine in the room and lounge area until the last day / night. I raised this at reception who told me there was a fault which they put down to the wet and windy weather.

There is no way a hotel in that location could remain open throughout the year if it wasn't of a certain standard. The Polurrian Hotel achieves this because everything about it is quality. I would recommend it to any of my friends who were visiting Cornwall and wanted to base themselves on the Lizard.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Clare J, Front Office Manager at Polurrian Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this comprehensive reveiw and to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate that quite often it is the small things that can make a very big difference - so thank you. We hope to be able to welcome you back at Polurrian soon.
Clare & Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullion
Mullion Cove Hotel
#10 of 21 in St Ives
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#2 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Polurrian Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!